• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 Strange Starting Issue

D
Mar 13, 2014
I passed my 15 800 onto my dad and it has a strange starting issue. When the machine is cold after sitting even for months it starts in 2 pulls at most. About once or twice on almost every ride after it is warm it will take 50 pulls etc to get it started. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? It has been tuned up and looked over etc by a dealer...

Dad is older and this is a real pain for him. Most the time I have to go help him out.

Last edited:

Lake Powell

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2016
Silt, Colorado
I had the same issue under warranty and it took several try's at my dealer but they finally got it right. Never did tell me what was causing it but it took several calls to the factory about it though. It was on my 15 154 in it's second year. I have a great dealer Rifle Performance Motorsports in Rifle, CO

U
May 24, 2016
Park City, Utah
If the sled fires up after a cool off period but does not start when the engine continues to be hot, you may have a vapor lock in the fuel line. Perhaps move any fuel line away from close proximity of the engines heat or place a insulating barrier around those fuel lines. Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
D
Mar 13, 2014
I had the same issue under warranty and it took several try's at my dealer but they finally got it right. Never did tell me what was causing it but it took several calls to the factory about it though. It was on my 15 154 in it's second year. I have a great dealer Rifle Performance Motorsports in Rifle, CO

Any clue if they would still recall what it was?

Where do you go in Powell? I am there a lot.

D
Mar 13, 2014
If the sled fires up after a cool off period but does not start when the engine continues to be hot, you may have a vapor lock in the fuel line. Perhaps move any fuel line away from close proximity of the engines heat or place a insulating barrier around those fuel lines. Hope this is helpful.

Weird part is sometimes when hot it starts just fine. But I will take a look thanks.

Last edited:
D
Mar 13, 2014
Just another thought. If you are running ethanol fuel, it will readily absorb water and it too may be a cause of a vapor lock. Please post if you find the solution to this issue.

Always non E...I will

Also where do you ride? My sleds are kept in Heber, ride up above Kamas a lot.

Lake Powell

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2016
Silt, Colorado
Any clue if they would still recall what it was?

Where do you go in Powell? I am there a lot.

They might but they were vague at the time. Go out of Bullfrog and usually down to the Escalante. Had to give up the houseboat this year though. Us three partners just couldn't afford it anymore with the 25% increase in buoy fees and then the mussels. Just called dealer and he can't recall but probably a reflash on the computer.

D
Mar 13, 2014
They might but they were vague at the time. Go out of Bullfrog and usually down to the Escalante. Had to give up the houseboat this year though. Us three partners just couldn't afford it anymore with the 25% increase in buoy fees and then the mussels. Just called dealer and he can't recall but probably a reflash on the computer.

I spoke to my dealer and he said there are 2 things it could be he is going to look it over.

Ha I launch at Bullfrog and almost always stay is Escalante also.

U
May 24, 2016
Park City, Utah
I typically ride from Noblett's parking lot to the summit of Wolf Creek pass. Occasionally will ride Strawberry, Soapstone, Bear River and this year will be heading to Togwotee. Ride a turbo AC and recently purchased Polaris Axys, installed a turbo and wrap. So I am to blame for the lack of snow-Sorry to all the Utah riders!!

rocks rev

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Flat Tops Colorado
My 16 did this but more like 10-12 pulls when hot, Fixed under warranty, not sure if it was fuel pump or regulator, I'll ask my dealer.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
My 16 did this when hot as well. Thankfully I have electric start but it was still a huge pain.

At first it was an ECU flash and set of plugs, the real issue was solved after replacing the fuel pump assembly. There is a bulletin for it.

Team Pigeon

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2006
Pass Creek, BC.
Replace fuel filter then Run a tee in your fuel line and a line/ gauge to tour bars and see what fuel pressure is idling and throughout your rpm. And also when shut off.
I never had hot start issues but I had bogging when the engine was hot. Replaced pump assembly so I won’t know if it was the Regulator or the pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
I would bet that it’s the fuel pressure regulator.

The symptoms are identical.

The regulator pops slightly out of its seat, still works when riding but can make it brutal to re-start when hot.

128671F3-B154-4036-A629-8DE7E3CC2573.jpeg 6DC60AED-A7D0-4D31-A4D7-F87352D7D91F.jpeg

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
I passed my 15 800 onto my dad and it has a strange starting issue. When the machine is cold after sitting even for months it starts in 2 pulls at most. About once or twice on almost every ride after it is warm it will take 50 pulls etc to get it started. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? It has been tuned up and looked over etc by a dealer...

Dad is older and this is a real pain for him. Most the time I have to go help him out.

The 15's had a fuel pressure regulator issue. Have your dealer check for/do the update.

Last edited:
Premium Features