• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 cat bike

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
What's the story with 2018 cat bike? Are we going to see them this year? I see the sleds are out but nothing on the bikes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
There's really no point. Camso kits are out and appear solid and who the heck wants a sherco bike, for extra money?

If they come with warranty...........

And price point.........

Intake, timing, fueling, engine shrouded, forks dialed.

That alone could bring sales from the non tinker guys.

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
If they come with warranty...........

And price point.........

Intake, timing, fueling, engine shrouded, forks dialed.

That alone could bring sales from the non tinker guys.

I know for one, I have built two bikes and am sick of screwing around working on stuff instead of riding. If they could come in at 10 to 12 G's with warranty I would be game. Would be nice to run the hell out of it and just drop off at dealer if there was problems .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Cat announced a while back that they are trying to make this machine legal .

These kits are no where in the system when it comes to actually being an over the snow mobile . Yes some have been able to tag , permit or license them to an extent but it's a back door that won't always be there .

It has to be a real mother when the snowmobile clubs in the state this machine is being produced does not want them running their groomed trails and even in the mountain areas people are already complaining about their obnoxious noise and the concern of causing avalanches .

Cat needs to be applauded even if they have a personal interest . No other manufacture that I have heard of gives a rats butt .

I pay for a snowmobile club membership and it's not for the groomed trails .

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
they have to get the msva (motorized snow vehicle act) safety clearance certifications, before they can be legally sold as over the snow vehicles, and therefore would be legal for trail riding (all snowmobiles have to have this). I am guessing multiple state and provincial snowmobile clubs, and organizations are fighting this, as they do not want to put up with or contend with these on the public trail systems. remember, we have to ride some trails to get to the play areas. Ski

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
The hurdle is they need a left hand brake and a throttle safety and idk how you do that with a clutch......dumb rule anyway.

Yeah 10-12 grand price point. Would be nice, but I don't think they'd sell them for 12k all set up.
I said last year if they dumped a bunch of them on the market it would be great pr for Cat, but unless they sell them cheap, they will only get the non tinkerers.
Too many bad arse combos to make the Shercatso bike attractive unless they stack em deep and sell em cheap....

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
The hurdle is they need a left hand brake and a throttle safety and idk how you do that with a clutch......dumb rule anyway.

Yeah 10-12 grand price point. Would be nice, but I don't think they'd sell them for 12k all set up.
I said last year if they dumped a bunch of them on the market it would be great pr for Cat, but unless they sell them cheap, they will only get the non tinkerers.
Too many bad arse combos to make the Shercatso bike attractive unless they stack em deep and sell em cheap....
Your right, there are a lot of dumb technicalities of making a vehicle over the snow compliant. Many of them that are a problem using a dirtbike as a base, its no longer just bolt up and go, some major revisions will be required.

Left handed brake, toggle style kill switch (not momentary switch like bikes), etc etc. Lots of dumb little details that make this project a lot harder then you think on the legal side

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Sherco bikes are very good. Motors are awesome. My good friend is sponsored by them. He races the Canadian endero series. With second or third overall last 5 years. He never could get 1 season on a yamaha or honda 4 stroke. But the Sherco 2 stroke went two seasons and is still running on the original engine.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
How many arctic cat engineers does it take to mount a camso onto a sherco?

B

burnz

Jan 7, 2013
Nanton, Alberta
Your right, there are a lot of dumb technicalities of making a vehicle over the snow compliant. Many of them that are a problem using a dirtbike as a base, its no longer just bolt up and go, some major revisions will be required.

Left handed brake, toggle style kill switch (not momentary switch like bikes), etc etc. Lots of dumb little details that make this project a lot harder then you think on the legal side

this cat project is starting to make more sense to me now, the biggest deal is opening the sport up to flat landers by making it possible for them to legally ride them on trail. I'm very interested to see all the final details they decide on to meet the f*#king dumb rules and stipulations

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
honestly i dont know why anyone would want to ride trails with a snowbike. mine was a handling nightmare on the trail....unless there was a foot of fresh snow on the trail then it was ok.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Agree, you couldn't give me one back in WI, but it wouldn't want a 160 something track sled there either.
Last time I lived there, my ZRT 600 piped with 144 Woodys in the track was what ya needed to get around!

ges

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
pierre sd
they ride better on a rough trail than a sled does if you have your forks right. but don't get me wrong neither one is that much fun on a trail.

Premium Features