• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How much gas do we really need to carry?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I will be the first to admit that I am not the most seasoned snowbiker. I purchased my bike and Timbersled kit last year used and already assembled. It's a very low mile 2010 KTM 530 XC-W. That being said, on my early snowbike adventures, the first few rides I dutifully packed around the full 3+ gallon Mountain Addiction gas can strapped to the tunnel thinking I would need all that extra fuel. That's roughly 25 lbs. of extra weight added to the rear of the snowbike.

After several rides, I noticed I was barely using any of the extra gas I was packing around. The extra gas I was using from the tunnel was dumped into the tank merely to get some of the weight off the tunnel. We seem to go to great lengths to reduce weight on our snowbikes and sleds and packing around way more gas than I could ever use just doesn't make sense to me. I didn't want to pack a half full gas can around, so I started packing the smaller Mountain Addiction 1.3 gallon can in place of the larger gas can. I still seem to have plenty of gas on each ride.

Maybe my rides are shorter than others? Maybe my stock gas tank is larger? Maybe I am not revving the bike to stay on top of the snow as much because I have a LT? Maybe I'm just not as big of a guy as some? For whatever reason, I just don't seem to need to pack that much extra fuel.

Are the rest of you seeing this as well?

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Due to our awful start to winter, I've not yet ridden my new horse, but in my three rides last year we road entire days on 450MX bikes, a few time in deep snow and we use 3 gallons of gas total. super impressed with the efficiency of these things! Amazing.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Snow conditions effect fuel consumption more than anything but myself and everyone I ride with carries a full 3 gallon can I even carry an extra 1.5L at times if the pow is deep. On just about every ride unless its spring concrete I use most of my fuel, this is on a 12 KX450F with dobeck controller.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I didn't buy my bike until the early season deep powder had settled so maybe that's part of the reason I am not using as much fuel. I found I use about 3 gallons of fuel per day as well but, my gas tank on the bike is just under 2.5 gallons.

So, for early season I will plan on bringing extra fuel and the 3 gallon can and as the snow settles I will switch back to the smaller 1.3 gallon gas can.

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
In a day, I typically burn 3 gallons mid season and 2 - 2.5 gallons in spring on a 2004 KTM 525 with an ST kit. I don't bounce off the rev limiter all day. Plenty of that, but much more mellow boondocking / tree dodging. Probably average about a 5 or 6 hour riding day. I definitely ride a much easier style than most snowbikers (at least the ones posting on here).

I plan on putting an APT smartcarb on this season. Current word from APT is sometime in January, but time will tell. Smartcarbs and Lectrons are said to reduce fuel consumption on the 2 strokes, but not sure if that applies to 4 strokes as well? I do carry the 3+ gallon Mountain Addiction tank. I rarely dip into it since my bike tank is 3.3 gallons, but nice to have. I guess I could put the stock tank back on the bike but I'd rather have the extra capacity and I can simply put 1 less gallon in the bike tank if I want it lighter.

Last edited:
Premium Features