• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skid plate/ motor enclosure materials.

T

torkd

Oct 9, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I'm seeing all these guys building the motor enclosures to keep snow from hitting their engine. Does anyone in alberta know where to find the plastic to make these? I've looked all over but can only find sheets of thick polyboard that wouldn't work. Any input would be great.

M

mxracer299

Nov 24, 2010
Great Falls, MT
I used stock car plastic. It comes in 2' x 10' rolls for $20, it comes in lots of colors as well! I'm in Great Falls, MT, if you can't find any at race car shops up there that have it, let me know and I can tell you where to find it here.

B
Sep 19, 2013
Edmonton
crazy carpet and zip ties, or even rivets, i used one and it worked just fine in the cold temps, and if they do get broken or bent, there easily replaceable.
Mounting them up is pretty easy to cause they bend so easy.

D

dennyb

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville, WA
Plastics vendor

I got my plastic sheets (same as stock cars use) at TAP Plastics in Bellevue, WA. They have additional stores, but don't know if they have any affiliates in Canada. I originally found that store looking for fiberglassing supplies and epoxy. Was something like $15 for a 2' x 4' sheet. Can cut it with scissors.

Nov 6, 2012
crazy carpet and zip ties, or even rivets, i used one and it worked just fine in the cold temps, and if they do get broken or bent, there easily replaceable.
Yep, crazy carpet works great. Every Canadian Tire, Walmart, Target, etc... has them. Less than $5 and a few zip ties.

T

torkd

Oct 9, 2013
Alberta, Canada

Can't believe I didn't think of that, Pretty simple and easy to find! That's why I love these forums. If I can't find the stock car stuff the other guys are using ill be getting some crazy carpets. Thanks

Oct 16, 2012
BC
Warning: can't stear a crazy carpet, use trees to stop

I did a simple google search I found some thin abs within a minute drive of work its pretty easy to find

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
if someone has a chance can you post up a pic of a shield built with this plastic? just trying to get an idea of what this looks like and the areas it covers on the bike. Thank you

C

Cpt.Ron

Oct 7, 2008
Revelstoke
www.powerhousecustoms.ca
We keep in stock

We keep 1/4" ABS in stock, in both black and white for belly pans/skid plates. We use 1/8" ABS for the sides, or other panels, again we keep both white and black in stock. Crazy carpet should work well for side panels.

If you are looking around Calgary, we used to purchase from Laird Plastics in the NE just off of 32ave. There was another supplier just a block or two away from them that I bought from a few times, ...Cadillac plastics??? Not sure if that is right, these suppliers have everything, but I am not sure if they will sell direct to the public or small quantities.

Cheers

S
Nov 20, 2010
In Calgary I just went to IPP (Industrial Paint n Plastics). I bought a 4' x 8' sheet of 1/16" Styrene.

It is apparently better in cold than ABS, and it seemed stiff enough, yet flexible. Much stronger than crazy carpet of course.

I figure it will do at least 2 bikes, and the sheet was $50. They had 2' x 4' sections for $14.

T

torkd

Oct 9, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Well I got it tackled! A lot of crazy carpets were sacrificed in the making but it turned out alright. Only cost $20 too. After i finished the skid plate I made a "quick release" rad cover to pull out when encountering massive hill climbs.

I did an oil change last night too and there was a ton of gas in it, hopefully this coverage will help that from happening. Ill be changing the oil every ride regardless, couldnt believe how much gas was in there. :mmph:

Here's a few pics:

skid4.jpg skid1.jpg skid3.jpg skid2.jpg rad1.jpg rad3.jpg rad2.jpg

snowbikekits.com

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Eau Claire, WI
In Calgary I just went to IPP (Industrial Paint n Plastics). I bought a 4' x 8' sheet of 1/16" Styrene.

It is apparently better in cold than ABS, and it seemed stiff enough, yet flexible. Much stronger than crazy carpet of course.

I figure it will do at least 2 bikes, and the sheet was $50. They had 2' x 4' sections for $14.

Stronger or more rigid?

Oct 16, 2012
BC
another way for quick release is small hole in top of plastic with zap strap pointing up(it also holds them from falling down) i then used bright duct tape so they are easy to find and grap

Premium Features