• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

crank seal?

D
Dec 21, 2008
99 xc 700 slp twins 151 track.
I went out riding the other day and about an hour in the ride i grenaded a belt. when the belt blew a 2 foot long strip got wrapped between the clutch and motor, looked like it was pressing on the seal after some tugging and twisting i got it out . it ran fine besides some clutching issues, today i pulled the clutch to do some work and when i look at the seal it looks like it is concave or indented and i cant remember what it looked like before but it definitely got some of the outer rubber coating on the seal rubbed off. is there any way to check for a leaky seal while the motor is out and not running.. also any one know why my plugs would come loose , happened a couple times, and i just put together a new team tss04 and was wondering if i should loctite the 4 torks screws that hold the helix, thanks

S
Dec 27, 2007
Aberdeen, SD
No, do not use loctite on the 4 helix screws. They can be tough enough to remove without putting any thread locker on them. Also, when removing the helix later on for cleaning/servicing, you should back off the sheave spreading bolt several turns and the helix will lift right out.

D
Dec 21, 2008
thanks for the info i just put the engine back together so hopefully its all good i had 140 psi on both cyl before i tore it down, the seal was pushed in about 1/4 inch in the middle.

L

lognomore

Oct 25, 2008
Red Bluff, Ca.
Check that seal!!

thanks for the info i just put the engine back together so hopefully its all good i had 140 psi on both cyl before i tore it down, the seal was pushed in about 1/4 inch in the middle.
I would be concerned about that seal if it got distorted at all, it may have a vacuum leak now. You should really do a leak down test. A whole lot cheaper to replace seals and gaskets then to burn a cylinder from a leaking seal. You may have good compression but if it is sucking air through that seal it will lean out, causing a possible burn down of that cylinder. Can get very spendy!:frown:

D
Dec 21, 2008
i put new seals in .. but for some reason the so called complete gasket kit didnt come with the reed gaskets. i hope to try it out on the weekend

D
Dec 21, 2008
just finished putting it together today i tried it in the yard for about 10 mins and it seized up,so back in the shop i did a quick teardown and the crank was coming apart and rubbed the side of the casei have had the crank brake but not seperate at the rod pin but i see the other rod side the weights are not lined up like it twisted so i think that when i grenade the belt that maybe it through the crank out of wack has any one had similar problems, this sucks now i have to send it away or buy a used one

Premium Features