• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

<<< MAJOR CHANGES to the FORUM INTERFACE>>>

Thread Rating
1.00 star(s)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
HEADS UP EVERYONE.

Harris Publishing will be implementing a MAJOR CHANGE to the forum interface. This is being done to bring the forums into Google's Mobile Platform compliance for search engine rankings.

All of our members will need to do one of two things when this happens.

A. Delete your temporary internet files
or
B. Press Ctrl-F5

The forums have to go mobile friendly.

https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/6196932?hl=en

http://www.businessnewsdaily.com/7808-google-search-ranking-mobile.html

http://www.cnet.com/news/google-search-will-now-favor-mobile-friendly-sites/

====

TO RESTORE YOUR INTERFACE

SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM OF YOUR PAGE and you will see something like this.
picture.php

If you click on the "New Default Style with Sticky Ads" it will open up a list of "THEMES" that you can chose from.

If you are using SnoWest from a DESKTOP Computer, you can revert back to the "DEFAULT" to restore your interface to the traditional Look/Feel of SnoWest.

picture.php

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
By now everyone should see the new "Mobile Friendly" interface that has been implemented.

This new look & Feel should allow the forums to run more smoothly on Phones and Tablets!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Looks like we have 4 resolution support points on the new Mobile Interface.

420 Pix or less.

picture.php

======================

450 Pix Width.

picture.php

=========================

920 Pix Width

picture.php

================

And then a final full screen version that looks just like the original interface we have had for the last 7 years at 1,520 Pixels or greater.

M

Mr Nasty

Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage, alaska
My forum looks like this now on my phone. How does one fix it so it takes up the whole screen?
Does it have something to do with items like the chat box being wider than the rest?

Thanks

DD91D0A4-B927-4E49-B1B9-69D4E2DC1110.png
[/URL][/IMG]

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
My forum looks like this now on my phone. How does one fix it so it takes up the whole screen?
Does it have something to do with items like the chat box being wider than the rest?

Thanks
I don't know.
I wonder if your falling in-between those resolutions I listed above?

Were you running the forums on your phone with the old interface before?
if so, was that working OK for you?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I don't know.
I wonder if your falling in-between those resolutions I listed above?

Were you running the forums on your phone with the old interface before?
if so, was that working OK for you?
Then at the very least you can just change your THEME back to default to get back to where you were before.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
YES! bye bye tapatalk. that app has so much potential, yet it still sucks.....especially for the snowest forum. and thanks for the heads up about the desk top platform. i was about ready to message you and as what was up with the funky look.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
YES! bye bye tapatalk. that app has so much potential, yet it still sucks.....especially for the snowest forum. and thanks for the heads up about the desk top platform. i was about ready to message you and as what was up with the funky look.
CHOICE is good!

Hopefully this new theme will work better for you on your Mobile Platform!!:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
CHOICE is good!

Hopefully this new theme will work better for you on your Mobile Platform!!:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

Turning off avatars and signatures in the "forum options" makes the mobile view much easier to look at. But the "brand logos" still show up. And when a logo whore, such as yourself, posts several time in a thread, it gets a little overwhelming :bowl:

Screenshot_2015-12-04-14-43-58.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Turning off avatars and signatures in the "forum options" makes the mobile view much easier to look at. But the "brand logos" still show up. And when a logo whore, such as yourself, posts several time in a thread, it gets a little overwhelming :bowl:
Yup.
I see that as well.
As is pretty obvious, those were never designed to be seen from a restricted width platform. They were intended to be viewed from a desktop monitor not a handheld phone.

Might be that we have to rethink all of the badges..

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Please give us the option to turn the badges off. Beyond mildly annoying especially on mobile and doesn't really add value, least in my mind.

Another question. I have a maybe 5/8" white box across the bottom. Any ideas there?

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
So much of what you guys are talking about, I will have to say, I don't understand. But everything looks good on my end. I like it! :face-icon-small-hap

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
I'm using an iPad pro, it already works better and doesn't get all funky with the ads on the right side like it had been doing.

EDIT: I noticed it loads faster with the new style than on default. I switched back and forth a couple times.

Last edited:

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I'm grateful to be able to revert to the 'old' default style! I do also agree that some of the folks with a large number of badges take up quite a bit of space...

Viewing on my phone with Tapatalk doesn't seem to be affected. I'm guessing the changes you must be referring to on mobile viewing are for use without the tapatalk app?

Premium Features