• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

towing a snowbike

O
Dec 18, 2014
i'm new to the sport, and want to learn if anyone else has had experience towing a snowbike out of an area. what type of tow system did you use, and where did you attach to the bike?
Thanks

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Nylon strap from the frame of the bike in front of the motor, through the fork legs, to the back bar of a TS kit. You can still sidehill anything and if you get someone to pound a trail in front in deep snow you can actually climb decent slopes.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Nylon strap from the frame of the bike in front of the motor, through the fork legs, to the back bar of a TS kit. You can still sidehill anything and if you get someone to pound a trail in front in deep snow you can actually climb decent slopes.

i'd love to see a pic or video of this.

powderzone

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2013
Calgary
Another option is to run the straps through the forks and hook on to the footpegs of the bike being towed.

KTMDigger

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Keep it short

I have had the misfortune of towing a TS out of the woods on three separate occasions ( yeh I know ... I need to pick different friends ) ... I agree with Rush44 ... Try to not influence the steering of the "towed" bike. The one secret I learned was to keep the nylon strap as short as possible. Our first attempt the line was over 25 feet long ... Neither bike could stay upright. We found it was best to have the line as short as the terrain would allow ... 10-12 feet worked best. The hardest section was the final miles to the truck with all the damn whoops!!

Last Saterday we killed a KTM 300 we were 22 miles from truck for some dumb reason i had my sled in the trailer with ice fishing sled, it took a couple of tries but we finally laid it down on its side, took the ski off and started our journey back. The bike broke at 3 pm got to truck for the second time at 10pm. Luckily we were mostly on old forest roads. If it was any more difficult terrain i would take it apart and make 2 trips.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Last Saterday we killed a KTM 300 we were 22 miles from truck for some dumb reason i had my sled in the trailer with ice fishing sled, it took a couple of tries but we finally laid it down on its side, took the ski off and started our journey back. The bike broke at 3 pm got to truck for the second time at 10pm. Luckily we were mostly on old forest roads. If it was any more difficult terrain i would take it apart and make 2 trips.

I don't understand, you took the bike apart and hauled it out in pieces? Or just took the ski off so no one else could steal it by towing it out while you went back for reinforcements?

O

Rush44 watched me get towed out the way he describes and it works good. Bike pulling cannot make quick turns but once on the main trail back we were moving pretty fast.

Premium Features