• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SX Kit on a KX500

snowbikekits.com

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Eau Claire, WI
Hi -

I'm working on this bike for a customer, has anyone had experience with this bike / kit combination?

Thanks,

Mike at snowbikekits.com

H
Feb 18, 2011
British Columbia
Hey, I just put a long track kit (not sx) on a 1992 kx500. What are you looking to find out ? I had to get a few custom machined parts and lockout bar. Everything seems to jive tho. I also have the 40mm apt smartcarb and avid carb heater. Haven't plumbed the heater yet as is hasn't got super cold here yet. Using a "pod" filter setup.

snowbikekits.com

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Eau Claire, WI
On the 1999 am working on the upper shock mount is offset which means I will need to build a custom strut for the SX kit.

I did have some frame pivot bushings made based off the ST kit's bushings, but they are too wide, need to take about a 1/4" off of them.

Do you have the dimensions for the bushings you had made? How wide and position could be helpful.

Also - did you need to put a spacer behind the counter shaft sprocket?

Thanks!

Mike @ snowbikekits.com

egesledder

Premium Member
Sep 8, 2009
West of Boulder, Colorado
So I just made a bunch of parts to fit an ST kit on my '01 KX500. For the Strut Rod, I made one with 1" aluminum tube with 1/4" walls and heim joints (5/8 tie rod ends from McMaster-Carr) on both ends:

1211141443.jpg

Here are the basic dimensions for the aluminum rod itself:

Rod.jpg

And the upper strut rod bushing (need 2, I made them out of stainless):

StrutRodUpperBushing.jpg

Lower strut rod bushing (need 2, I made them out of stainless):

StrutRodLowerBushing.jpg

For the swingarm bushings, I made 2 of these for the drive side of the motor out of aluminum:

SmallSwingarmBushing.jpg

And one of these for the non-drive side of the motor, also out of aluminum. For the gap between the non-drive side of the frame and the timbersled, I used a standard 15mm washer that was sanded down a bit on one side. This setup seemed to get the chain in pretty decent alignment on mine.

LargeSwingarmBushing.jpg

Last edited:
H
Feb 18, 2011
British Columbia
Looks like buddy has you covered! I didn't fab the parts my buddy did so I don't have the dimensions anyways. But I did not use a spacer on the sporocket and everything lines up perfect and no rub on chaincase

snowbikekits.com

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Eau Claire, WI
Thanks for the info! The SX kit is a little different than the ST. The spacer I had made are a little too wide. My biggest concerns were the offset strut (the sx kits pivot) and getting that right would have taken a bit of time. ($)

I found an ST kit for him so this info could prove to be quite useful.

Care to share any KX500 setup tips as far as the bike itself? Your setup looks to be the same he is planning on running - so any tips or photos you can share would be much appreciated.

H
Feb 18, 2011
British Columbia
Here's a quick pic. Hopefully it works. Mines actually a long track. Umm not anything too special about my set up. Haven't plumbed the carb heater yet. I'm using a pod filter. On my smartcarb I'm at 38 clicks from full rich on my low speed adjuster. Which is a little far on the clicks but it is compensating a bit for a lean metering rod (q11 = m080 @ 3.950) called, they said basically it's not a problem to compensate with the clickers, my plug is a perfect tan so I'm happy, throttle is real crisp, no splooge or smoke really. Thing works unreal. I just need to change to higher gearing to my first and second gear aren't completely useless! And wow in deeper powder this thing just tractors through anything!

image.jpg

Premium Features