• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Getting an older WR to fit?

W
Dec 25, 2011
index wa
I finally bit the bullet and have a new to me '15 ST kit and looking for a permanent bike to put with it.

While I'm looking I would like to use my 'ol '99 WR400F that still runs strong.

Has anyone had any luck fitting one of these?

So far I've been told the forks clamps may need some customization due to smaller diameter. Any other considerations I should look for or problems that make it a waste of time?

Thanks for any input from those that have been there done that.

Craig

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I think if you are close to timbersled they will make a fit kit for your bike?

M
Jan 14, 2004
It's almost cheaper to buy new forks than it is to swap clamps from your kit. There are loads of cheap YZ and WR forks with triples on Ebay. Go to All Balls Racing website they have a chart showing all the conversion bearings they make. I haven't looked but I bet its a bolt on. If you get a set of newer 48mm forks they are the most common so you likely wont have to buy a second setoff clamps for 170 bucks when you get a different bike plus it'll help the bike on the dirt as well.

M5

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
I am 99% sure all the yamis have the same swing arm and linkage dims. I have ran the same kit on a 99 yz, 03 wr and 06 yzf only difference was the 06 had the bigger forks. you could probably get away with plastic spacers if u wanted but the wr already has pretty soft forks, so bigger forks might not be a bad idea

Ted baycroft

Premium Member
Oct 2, 2013
I have a 2010 450 YZF all set up for snow biking including recluse.
Ted (509) 710-5467

W
Dec 25, 2011
index wa
Thanks for suggestions

Thanks for the suggestions, during my search I found a couple more people with the same bike looking for the same answers and will be passing it along.

There is a shop locally that I'm told has good technical info on such matters, I will post any insight they have when I get a hold of them.

W
Dec 25, 2011
index wa
Found a decent fit kit for old WR's

Just for the record I found (with timbersleds excellent help) that the SB-456 for a YZ450 2010-13 fit well. for a 2015st kit.

There were a couple people locally that had also shown interest if it would work or not.

I am noticing that it sits a lot lower than many that I've seen on newer bikes. I am questioning if the strut rod might be too short.

Anyone have an opinion on what are the negatives or positives in messing around with the length ? Does it improve some types of performance or could it be detrimental to either me or the bike ?

W
Nov 26, 2012
fork clamps.

I made my own fitkit from ktm 48mm to wrf 400 46mm forks. I just took some plastic tube and made shims between the forktubes and ski clamps. Worked all spring for me. I adjusted the pipe in my lathe so it fitted snugly. Cheap and easy.

Last edited:
Premium Features