• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Throttle Sticking/Freezing Problems?

C
Oct 4, 2014
Hello, just got a new track kit this yr and put it on my 2012 KTM 250 XC-W, we have barely had enough snow to ride yet here in Regina but have gotten out for a couple of hours and love it.

I have had this problem twice now, it starts once I am out for 20-30 mins and I am at mid to high throttle my throttle will stick. I first thought it was in the throttle tub but a friend of mine has gauntlets on his bike and still had the same problem. I now think it is actually at the carb as it gets covered with snow every time I am out. (I am working on fixing that)

Has anyone else had this problem before?

It first happened when it was -28 C with wind chill of -39 so I sumed it up to the crazy temperature. However we were out yesterday at -5 and -10 wind chill and it happened again.

Any insight to this problem would be appreciated.

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
Check the little rubber boot on the top of the carb. If it rides up snow gets down inside and freezes at speed. Pull it back down and zip tie it.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I know the 13s there was a recall on throttle for this specific problem you might want to check to see if yours was a part of it.

P

Pedec

Jul 1, 2014
I am from weyburn and have been riding also the last week my 2012 ktm 250sx and have found this helps first get vent lines up into air box under seat next get blue house furnace filter and cut pieces to fit under seat around air box to stop snow from getting in. The next is not to oil air filter and use a filter skin rev motorsports sell them in Saskatoon. Next buy or make a carb jacket so snow will not get on carb use a rag and zips tie it helps alot also cover one rad to help keep temp up. We found some nice snow drift along a 1/2 mile row of tress that I worked bike for 20 mins hard and max temp was 160 and it only -5 today. This is my first year on a snowbike also but man are they ever fun even on the bald *** prairies just have to look for good snow a little harder.

Last edited:
P

Pedec

Jul 1, 2014
Forgot to add that I run a Lectron 38mm carb which is similar to a smart carb which adjust to temp and altitude and so far works great really crisp throttle and good on fuel and easy to adjust main jet or top end with screw no jets to change.

S
Jan 12, 2013
My throttle got stuck at idle once after I left the carb facing the wind with my bike turned off for 20 mins. I'm pretty sure my carb was frozen... I idled it for five minutes and it loosened up. I have never had the problem other than that one time, but I have a 4 stroke.

Premium Features