• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Charging a BatteryLess System? What??

Sumac Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Mar 3, 2009
Central Wisconsin
I know it sounds stupid, but has anyone ever charged the BatteryLess System on a newer Cat. I have an 08 M1000 & yea it pulls over really hard for the first couple of pulls while it charges the system to get the injection working. It would be nice to give the system a little "jump start" so on the first pull it will fire, I swear the rope is going to snap after it sits for a while & I go to start it. I know it sounds stupid but wouldn't be nice to have two 6volt latern batteries hooked together, have a 2 prong trailer connector mounted on the sled somewhere, plug in the lantern batteries, check your gas & oil, unhook the batteries, give it one pull & presto its running. Yea, Yea, Yea, I know what your going to say "Grow some & pull the thing over!!" but if you have ever pulled over an M1000 after its been in the trailer for 2 days & its -18 at 9000 ft, you know what I mean. I think I am going to replace the stock rope with the ballistic version just for peace of mind, but it would still be nice to for it to start on the first pull. Any help would be great, Thanks

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
You could put a small sealed 12volt battery (around a pound) and a switch in the pump circuit. A two pole double throw would work if it had a momentary side. You could have the pump and it's supply wired through the On (NC) side of the switch and the battery wired to the momentary side.

When you wanted to pressure up your system you just flip the switch to the momentary side and pressure it up. Since the switch isolates the pump and supply while pumping off the battery, it wouldn't feed back into the electronics. It obviously wouldn't do anything else but pressure up the fuel system. Then, as long as the electronics fired the injectors, it should start the first pull. It would be a cheap test to see if it would work.

Then if it works, you could put in a small relay to keep the battery charged when the sled was running

B
Apr 3, 2008
Billings Mt.
Yeah, that'd be SWEET, the companies & customers work so hard to bring down weight on the sleds, I really wish I could add 5 more lbs back on!!!!:p:p

This guy has a good idea, I like it. We all half to admit that these sleds are not lite, and they are not getting lighter. Down deep we all half to aggree they are damn tanks. A small battery to acomplish this task would be great. Wow and it would add 1 to 2 lbs. A guy could go to the bathroom and take a big Dump and loose that much weight.

Premium Features