• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pre Mix Gas/Oil

Hooch88

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
I know this probably has been beaten to death on the forums...but I have snow checked a 14' ProClimb and doing the BDX ProLite Kit with BB and the oil injection delete. So how are most of you pre-mixing the gas and oil. In cans? Estimating the gas to be pumped into tank and adding the oil into the tank accordingly? Thanks

A

anziconda

Dec 10, 2007
I've got the same beast coming! This will be my second premix sled. I went and bought 3 6gallon gas cans and use a ratio-rite to get the proper amount in each of them. Pour oil in before gas (it helps to mix it as you fill). I believe they're calling for 32:1 in these. If you're running the bb900, it probably won't hurt to put a gallon or two of race fuel in per tank.
The oil/fuel ratio is a highly debated topic. My last sled (m1000, slp, ported). I mixed at 40:1 for most of the time I had it...ran perfect with no issues. Then I read somewhere about 32:1 so in the end I shot for the middle...about 36:1. Hope this helps!

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I've got the same beast coming! This will be my second premix sled. I went and bought 3 6gallon gas cans and use a ratio-rite to get the proper amount in each of them. Pour oil in before gas (it helps to mix it as you fill). I believe they're calling for 32:1 in these. If you're running the bb900, it probably won't hurt to put a gallon or two of race fuel in per tank.
The oil/fuel ratio is a highly debated topic. My last sled (m1000, slp, ported). I mixed at 40:1 for most of the time I had it...ran perfect with no issues. Then I read somewhere about 32:1 so in the end I shot for the middle...about 36:1. Hope this helps!

X2
this is how I am going to do mine at 32:1

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
In the M it was a bit easier, but I still do it the same way in the PC, I guess at how much oil (guess low) I'll need, then get the tank 90% of the way there and then add in whatever I may have been short. Once you get to know the bars it's not really that tough as long as you're on level ground.

If I'm mixing race gas I mix the race, oil, and pump in a can, then toss it in... but for just pump I do it in the tank.

btw, I buy drink mixes like crystal light, when I'm done with them I use them as disposable ratio-rite's. They're usually exactly 16 oz and see through, (32:1 is 4 oz/ gal) so I mark it in quarters, so one container to the brim does 4 gal. They have covers on them, so they're not bad to carry around... a ratio rite you can buy a cover for, but these are free and I lost my ratio rite somehow :D

the smaller Gatorade bottles work well also... nice big mouth, a cover, and easy to see.

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
What are the advantages of the oil pump delete? how much weight does it remove?

Cleaner throttle response, better bottom end, consistent fuel/ oil mix through full powerband no matter what mods you do (adding fuel with a box or a turbo fuel reg does nothing for oil, so you're decreasing mix) and one less thing to go wrong with the sled.

It saves about 8-9 (more if you're dumb enough to drive around with the freighter tank of an oil res completely full) lbs for $30, which is some of the cheapest weight savings you can find.

1rarel78

Feb 29, 2008
Spokane WA
I would assume that the oil delete would void the warranty. Not that the cat needs a warranty on the motor. Good thing.Althoughthat could give them an excuse to blow you off if you have another problem. Hopefully not.

A

anziconda

Dec 10, 2007
I would assume that the oil delete would void the warranty. Not that the cat needs a warranty on the motor. Good thing.Althoughthat could give them an excuse to blow you off if you have another problem. Hopefully not.

The bdx prolite comes with a one year warranty...mods included!!

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Update on pro lites

We will start production on PL the First of OCT.

On the oil delete they come with a ratio rite FYI

I mix 30 gal at a time or a 55 gal at a time works great and I do 20 oz to 5gal with 1 gal of race to 10 of 91.

Also this year I will have a couple to rent out . More info to come

We should have 3 2014 Pro Lites for hay days see ya there.

A

anziconda

Dec 10, 2007
We will start production on PL the First of OCT.

On the oil delete they come with a ratio rite FYI

I mix 30 gal at a time or a 55 gal at a time works great and I do 20 oz to 5gal with 1 gal of race to 10 of 91.

Also this year I will have a couple to rent out . More info to come

We should have 3 2014 Pro Lites for hay days see ya there.

Please take and post some pics of the 14's as soon as you can!!

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I put 2500 km on my 2012 last season mixing 50:1 using cat oil.

I wouldn't recommend that with a delete, it needs the oil... If you're going to run it lean on oil, I'd make a point of greasing often to be sure you're not waiting for oil to get in there, as now the gas will just wash away the grease.

This motor likes more oil though, not less... oil makes power.

Last edited:
K
Dec 4, 2007
CNY
That's why I don't trust just bolting on oil pump delete kits, they rely on grease to keep the water pump shaft, and brass crank gear lubed...

I have 3 seasons running 3 oz per gallon but, I'm running with the top case drilled (same 2 locations as the race sled) I also drilled and tapped the low spot on the mag side of the case, and put the oil pump check valve there (stock hose and valve that feeds from the oil pump to the crank gear)

1rarel78

Feb 29, 2008
Spokane WA
Sounds like a great mod,but I tend to ride my sled's for at least 3k before upgrading. I don't have the disposable income most of you guys seem to have. Sounds like there could be long term crank bearing issues. anyone out there done an oil pump delete with a few years on them? 800 model.

predator800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2010
Saskatoon, SK
I'm sure this mods work fine. BDX is on their second year with their Pro Lites. Big Bore and oil delete with warranty. I'm doing all my sleds starting tomorrow. Just got to wait for my 2014 to do the last one.

Last edited:

1rarel78

Feb 29, 2008
Spokane WA
Long term durability? Will the crank survive with just the grease? I maintain my sleds like a freak so greasing every ride would be no prob. really interested in doing the oil pump delete,just a little worried.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I know guys with 14k on deleted motors.... this $30 mod isn't exactly a mystery.
Got a buddy with 10k+ without regreasing, another with 14k, and I've got around 22k on a few different sleds, greasing few times a year on the first 10k or so, then once a season after that.

There's no more "I wonder" about this, just install it right in the first place, mix enough oil and go ride. If you ever open the motor, or empty the center section for whatever reason, just add more grease.

For first time btw, about 2 hours for install or so. It's a pain, but not "technical"... just a pain getting in there.

Btw, I fixed my pictures on the install thread, google "bdx oil delete" and pretty sure it's right on top. That might give a good idea what is involved.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Premium Features