• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What gear ratio do you have in your 163?

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
I have customers who've geared down to 19:51 (2.68)

Where one uses the sled the most from 0mph~45mph track speed, (full throttle steep/deep) then can remember lower gearing gives "track speed staying power"

My observation even with stock,[441 w/43/47] once the sled starts to get geared down towards 20:49 (2.45) when out on the road traveling at trail speeds of 50+mph the rpms may tend to start to lower as you drive with a constant throttle.
The lower one gears, a higher helix angle is being used by the secondary roller; the lower the rpms will be.
Lower the gearing even more and the secondary roller will use a higher again helix angle or secondary roller will be farther at the end of the "portion" range of a helix angle.

...so, what does one do to compensate for this?
Look at the primary spring final force.
Say with a 200/320 you start to lose rpms at 55mph and the rpms drift lower to 6700, then raise the final force to allow more spring force to be used at 55~60mph.
Go from a xxx/320 to a xxx/350. Raising that final force by 30 lbs will increase the spring force used at 55~60 mph by about 10~11 lbs and that will increase the rpms by about 300ish.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
What gearing will work the best will depend alot on the clutching used and riding style....so my answer to your question is...."sometimes".

Premium Features