• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

etec truth or farce?

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
Igot an email today.
The ETEC is a very hard sled to modify.. WHY? Because the computer module is monitoring MANY parameters!! One such parameter is crank acceleration.. Hmmm.. This is a biggy.. it actually measures how fast the crank is accelerated from X RPM to Y RPM... AND IF this acceleration is out of spec for the engine.. Guess what??? it adjusts to bring it in spec.. So, if you add some power, this will accelerate the the crank faster.. So, now the computer will "DE-TUNE" the engine to bring this "too fast" acceleration back in line with stock. and this is just ONE area they are monitoring....

So, what does all this mean??? it means that ANY HP you give to the ETEC, it will do its best to REMOVE and return the engine to stock operating power output.. It really is that simple!!!.. So, all this talk of big bores and heads, and such, will not be continuous.. meaning..SHORT LIVED..

BRP has STRICT orders with Evinrude to NOT allow ANY ECM altering.. So, there is NOBODY (unless BRP authorizes it for their OWN company R&D) that can get into this box and alter ANY parameters!
The Bottom Line is this: With the ETEC, Stock or very close to stock power is what you get and what you will always get unless you add another controller.

So, people, please be careful when you hear of some super "Power Enhancer" for the ETEC.. It may do some enhancing, but the ECM will return all "enhancing" back to stock levels in short time.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Yes. "rate of RPM"....This is one of the things I ran into last season playing with clutching. The particular clutching "feel" that I like to aim for and has worked very good on the power-tec just didn't impress on the e-tec.
It took a different approach to cluching (different for me)....to find a setup that accomplished what I wanted AND still satisfied the computer.
I don't think this means you can't add power, it means you needs to load the system hard enough to harness that power and keep the 'rate of RPM" in the proper parameters....if that makes any sense :face-icon-small-con

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
Yes. "rate of RPM"....This is one of the things I ran into last season playing with clutching. The particular clutching "feel" that I like to aim for and has worked very good on the power-tec just didn't impress on the e-tec.
It took a different approach to cluching (different for me)....to find a setup that accomplished what I wanted AND still satisfied the computer.
I don't think this means you can't add power, it means you needs to load the system hard enough to harness that power and keep the 'rate of RPM" in the proper parameters....if that makes any sense :face-icon-small-con

gotcha. More load as in more sqeeze on the belt as it shifts out and looses contact area? Less slipage?

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
So if your riding at 12,000 feet where you are down 15 to 20 hp from normal wouldn't some mods just get you back to that? Shouldn't that be with in the range of the ECM?

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
So if your riding at 12,000 feet where you are down 15 to 20 hp from normal wouldn't some mods just get you back to that? Shouldn't that be with in the range of the ECM?

What do you mean by normal? 9K? at 12K you are down between 50-60hp. So i would assume you could trick the ECM.

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.

It is just a protection mode for the engine. If you clutching is on like you say, it won't effect anything. Might even help in higher elevations? Adjusting fuel, ignition to gain rpms?

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Igot an email today.
The ETEC is a very hard sled to modify.. WHY? Because the computer module is monitoring MANY parameters!! One such parameter is crank acceleration.. Hmmm.. This is a biggy.. it actually measures how fast the crank is accelerated from X RPM to Y RPM... AND IF this acceleration is out of spec for the engine.. Guess what??? it adjusts to bring it in spec.. So, if you add some power, this will accelerate the the crank faster.. So, now the computer will "DE-TUNE" the engine to bring this "too fast" acceleration back in line with stock. and this is just ONE area they are monitoring....

So, what does all this mean??? it means that ANY HP you give to the ETEC, it will do its best to REMOVE and return the engine to stock operating power output.. It really is that simple!!!.. So, all this talk of big bores and heads, and such, will not be continuous.. meaning..SHORT LIVED..

BRP has STRICT orders with Evinrude to NOT allow ANY ECM altering.. So, there is NOBODY (unless BRP authorizes it for their OWN company R&D) that can get into this box and alter ANY parameters!
The Bottom Line is this: With the ETEC, Stock or very close to stock power is what you get and what you will always get unless you add another controller.

So, people, please be careful when you hear of some super "Power Enhancer" for the ETEC.. It may do some enhancing, but the ECM will return all "enhancing" back to stock levels in short time.

Ive read this before.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
It is just a protection mode for the engine. If you clutching is on like you say, it won't effect anything. Might even help in higher elevations? Adjusting fuel, ignition to gain rpms?

I was able to make the engine stumble/hesitate with clutching....it likes to be loaded hard. If you don't load it enough at low/mid it will stumble every time you hit the throttle if rate of RPM is too high. This makes it tough to get the very "snappy" feel and quick RPM gain we were able to get on the P-tec. Nothing "bad" about this, it just makes for a different feel and requires different clutching than we got used to.

G
Dec 1, 2007
Minnesota
Winter Brew,
Does this go for the 600 summit etecs also. We have 4 in our group and we have done gearing, clutching, helixs. Best yet has been 44 helix, 160-290 primary, a little stronger secondary spring from DJ. Gearing 21-49 and 20-49 still comparing this. So you are saying load the pins as much as possible and be on clicker 4-5 ????

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
I was able to make the engine stumble/hesitate with clutching....it likes to be loaded hard. If you don't load it enough at low/mid it will stumble every time you hit the throttle if rate of RPM is too high. This makes it tough to get the very "snappy" feel and quick RPM gain we were able to get on the P-tec. Nothing "bad" about this, it just makes for a different feel and requires different clutching than we got used to.

Don't know if I am going to explain this right....but isn't this a good thing in it is using the available torgue properly and more efficiently? Kinda good for any p-tech 800, 860 etc?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Don't know if I am going to explain this right....but isn't this a good thing in it is using the available torgue properly and more efficiently? Kinda good for any p-tech 800, 860 etc?

It's done for engine protection....like if you blow a belt under throttle it helps to prevent a sudden overrev. It also limits how quickly you can build RPM with clutching.

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
It's done for engine protection....like if you blow a belt under throttle it helps to prevent a sudden overrev. It also limits how quickly you can build RPM with clutching.[/QUOTE

I understand that but rate of rpm is only up to the rpm that the clutch will maintain. Therefore clutching on engine torque rather than engine hp? Rmp climbs faster with hp than with torque?

Premium Features