• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 d8, gauge problems, blank screen

mountaintop

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 19, 2008
Ive heard of electrical problems on the d8's, mine has had an intermittent gauge problems at lower speeds where the gauge screen blanks out and resets while the sled is running, any leads/fixes/etc? Electrical problems Ive head of concearn handwarmers, stator issues, voltage regulators. Sled runs great, no stumble or miss or bog to say the least. Latest flash done when I bought it, 300 miles on sled now. I'd like to get it repaired under warranty if possible, but I'd like a few leads or possible fixes before I take it in or start trying to figure it out myself. Thanks.

omernikski

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2003
Minocqua, WI/ Foxboro, WI
My little brothers sled started doing that shortly after the dealer reflashed his, shortly there after it popped, took it in and polaris reflashed it again themselves.....popped, found that there was a problem with the stator and the amount of voltage its putting out. Off idle it would be fine but at idle the display would flash and cut out

R
Dec 24, 2008
It could possibly be the chassis relay, if it does it again and your quick enough check to see if the lights are out also. If the stator is crapping out and not supplying proper voltage, the system diverts the power needed to run the ecu and fuel pump. Voltage at 2000rpm should be @ 14.5 volts. You can check this yourself with a meter hooked to the acc plug under the console. Dealer can check on digital wrench.

MTNRCR

Lifetime Membership
Mine did same thing. Voltage Regulator failling. Next thing is ECU shorts out internally because of low voltage causing high amp draw in ECU. Connect it to the digital wrench and it will say short in wiring harness!! Replace regulator (they were on back order for a reason) and ECU.

H

huhner772

Nov 26, 2007
Mine does that same thing but when the gauge goes blank the sled dies and will not restart for 10min. Took it to the dealer and they said everything checked out fine.

mountaintop

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 19, 2008
Thanks for the replies. Love the handling and the way the sled runs, elec problems are a pain in the butt, headed to the dealer I guess. Also had scuffing on lower skirt portion of pistons....Kinda looks like on these sleds we'll have to replace pistons every 400 miles to keep them together. Friggin ridiculous.

Check wiring! (or have your dealer do it) I have heard of a few cases now where machines have smoked ecu's due to bad voltage. One local dealer has a theory that is worth checking out for ALL dragon owners. Under the airbox one of the wiring harnesses rubs on a chasis weld and eventually shorts out. Three machines I have heard of, all with about 1000 miles, had this rub and came in with smoked ecu's. Don't wait till it burns out, because parts could be on b/o for a while. Just my .02.
:beer;:beer;Ryan

Hellsledder

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Sweden
Smoked something electrical today...

First the gauge went blank, stopped the sled then restarted, everything ok.
A little later I saw that the gauge had reset itself,
had it on temp the suddenly it was on rpm
Sled started to behave like it had a fouled plug, stopped to check,
nothing wrong with them.
Started her again, but after 60feet she died and was impossible to start again!
The smell of burned electrical components was easy to notice....!
Even smelled tonight when unloding at dealer,
6hours after it died, and 15miles of towing and 20miles on a trailer later!

Damit, really like that f**king sled, and it was a great day untill it ended!
Sure hope dealer got it running before next weekend.......

ohhhh, its a assault... ;)

Last edited:
D
09 D8 during the ride yesterday, about 15 miles in, it started to hit the fail safe 6100 rpm, continued to ride letting it sit from time to time. Finally the display went blank and never came back, once I shut it off the only way to start it was to pour gas in the jugs. Was able to ride it out but it sounded tinny. I took it directly to the dealer and it fired up briefly sounding horrible hopefully they will be able to figure it out.

G

GMCRMK

Nov 28, 2007
SL,UT - IP,ID
Not to throw salt on the 800 wounds, but this is why I got a 700.

I hope they get it figured out for everyone and quickly so you guys can get back on the snow ASAP.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
just did some checking..both the 700 and the 800 share the same stator,voltage regulator, capacitator, and ecm..(ecm gets different program for each sled...so why arnt any 7's doing what the 8's are?

Hellsledder

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Sweden
Smoked something electrical today...

First the gauge went blank, stopped the sled then restarted, everything ok.
A little later I saw that the gauge had reset itself,
had it on temp the suddenly it was on rpm
Sled started to behave like it had a fouled plug, stopped to check,
nothing wrong with them.
Started her again, but after 60feet she died and was impossible to start again!
The smell of burned electrical components was easy to notice....!
Even smelled tonight when unloding at dealer,
6hours after it died, and 15miles of towing and 20miles on a trailer later!

Damit, really like that f**king sled, and it was a great day untill it ended!
Sure hope dealer got it running before next weekend.......

ohhhh, its a assault... ;)

Yepp, regulator took a vacation, resulting in a burned ECU.....
but parts was in stock at polaris! =)
hopefully riding this weekend again, but not to far away from trails.......

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Polaris needs to fire their electrical engineering dept and find new suppliers for electrical parts.

A good start would be to use good wire instead of the chinese crap they use.

MOWER800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Layton Utah
ECU melt down

that burnt elec smell is the ecu
when my reg tookout the ecu I was in a bad ravine we barrowed
a ecu and unplugged the orange wires on the reg and it ran all the way
out with no probs I don't know what they are for but it worked
something to try if you have this common prob

T
Nov 26, 2007
coeur dalene, idaho
my display has been going out and saturday the sled just died. I couldn't get it to start, and than i unplugged some orange wires and the sled started. The sled ran but got progressivley worse running. Had just enough to load her up on the sled deck.

tim

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
Polaris needs to fire their electrical engineering dept and find new suppliers for electrical parts.

A good start would be to use good wire instead of the chinese crap they use.
I think you hit the nail on the head here! It would apeer that Polaris does not do much in respect to reliability and durability testing. When you try to be cheap with components you will pay later for it. It may cost Polaris a lot more in Warranty claims than doing it right the first time.

Premium Features