• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011 ETEC 800X XP -163 rails bent -remedies?

Jetjock

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Buckley, Washington
Jumped my 2011 ETEC 800X XP -163 a little too high and bent the last 14 or so inches of the rails up about 5 degrees. I hoped I could replace the existing (flimsy) rails with (beefier) Freeride rails but have been disappointed to find that they do not come in the 163" length. I hate to pay $400 for another set of flimsy rails. Anyone have any suggestions or know of an aftermarket product (shy of a $2000 new skid) that fixes this problem.

skank

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
Mountain View, Wyoming 82939
Another vote for Iceage rails! Have used and abused lots of rails and have had great luck with the Iceage ones. Made from stronger material and beefed up in all the right areas. They are cheaper than stock and also come with all the hardware and new sliders. You can also add their optional rail stiffeners that help as well. I also like to put cross bars in the skid to help from side flex which causes the bending. Do not have the rails powder coated because most p.c. companys heat them too hot and soften them. If you want color have them anodized instead to be safe.

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
x2 brew. There is a slight upward angle on the rails from the factory.

Go to ski-doo.com and look under accessories. Rail stiffeners. There about 1ft long and bolt directly to the rails. no drilling at all. 1 on each side of each rail bolting together. I ordered a set for my 163, had a set on my 08 154. I forgot to remove them when i sold it. Heres a link right to them $60.00
http://store.ski-doo.com/product/382515/860200163/_/Summit_Rail_Reinforcement

Jetjock

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Buckley, Washington
Definitely bent

I had to tighten the track WAY up after the jump -the track was racheting when getting on the throttle on the flats and the track hung about 6 inches below the skid when you lifted the tail up. The rails are still in good shape and seem to have retained their strength in the area of the bend -very rideable but tends to wheelie a little much when climbing. Maybe I could put a little down pressure on the rails and then bolt the SKIDOO strengthening kit in place? I would strengthen them and maybe take half the excess bend out, which would be good enough for me. Look at the bright side, It seems to turn tighter on flat ground in firm snow conditions -it's a great parking lot sled :face-icon-small-hap

Thanks for the info!!

Tracey

Last edited:
J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
Just get the Ice age rails, they are around 350.00 with hifax. I just put there 163 rails on my XP and ever thing went together super easy. They have a very nice product and has way more beef in the area behind the rear scissor arm ...

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
A couple of plus's that I meant to mention, if you want to run the 08-09 front shock or the 10 and up you can. No bracket needed, they come with the holes predrilled for either shock length.

And if you want to run the anti sag setup you can... but no brackets needed, just drill the new mount hole in the rail and bolt it up.

That was one of the biggest reasons I went this route. I have an 08 but if I want to upgrade to the 10 suspension it's just a matter of getting the new shock.

A

AkLogan

Nov 26, 2007
Kenai, Alaska
Go with ice age. I bent a set on my pro last year and tried to strighten them and brace them but they just bent basically in the same spot just around the bracing. Order there Rail Stiffern kit while you are at it. Cant beat the price and they are of much better materials then stock.

Premium Features