• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Silber Turbo OR Sidekick Turbo (AXYS)

C
Nov 15, 2009
Breckenridge, Co
Hi,

I am considering purchasing a turbo on my axys. I am only considering the base kit, non-intercooled. They are both the same price give or take. I like the thought of the boondocker tunnel dump but also don't love the thought of drilling through my tunnel. I also like how Silber has an external wastegate.

Anyone have valuable/experienced insight?

Thank you!

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Hi,

I am considering purchasing a turbo on my axys. I am only considering the base kit, non-intercooled. They are both the same price give or take. I like the thought of the boondocker tunnel dump but also don't love the thought of drilling through my tunnel. I also like how Silber has an external wastegate.

Anyone have valuable/experienced insight?

Thank you!

I work for Silber so keep that in mind.

Both kits work well. Anyone who says otherwise is semi-blind. In our group we have one Boondocker kit and two Silber kits. All have put smiles on our faces.

The Silber kit gives you more adjustability (you can pick how much boost you want to run via wastegate springs), more potential top end (you can run 10+ psi if you'd like without any additional parts), and a cleaner install.

Boondocker is cool in that it adjusts boost as you change elevation giving you the same net output (in theory) at all elevations.

As far as performance my pump gas silber kit (5psi at 8500 feet) was very close in all out performance as the side kick. Only notable difference is how the power hits. Silber was far smoother. Sidekick had more of a "hit".

Only drastic difference besides wastegate setup and boost controller is in oil use between the two kits. Silber's kit reflashes the oil map to compensate for additional load at elevation. Sounds like no big deal until you realize the stock ECU is programmed to put out less oil as you move up in elevation and the load theoretically goes down. (less air, less fuel, less load). This may not be a big deal in the short term but long term it could prove to be a massive differentiating factor. Time will tell!

Performance wise, both kick ***!

:)

Last edited:

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
We will be at Grand Lake this weekend if you want to come ride a Silber. PM me for details. We will also have kits with us and can install if your interested.

I would encourage you to ride both and see what you think.

S

sno-addict

Oct 21, 2008
Have you looked into MTNTK? Another great option. About the same price, IMHO you get a better bang for your buck. Also now the same price as the Silber and Sidekick.

Last edited:
D

doudea

Sep 20, 2009
Western Slope
I am VERY pleased with my Silber Axys kit. Has been pull the rope and go. Cleaner kit IMHO with the option to adjust boost levels to where you might what them.

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
I have had both.. granted neither on an axys... but I have had a couple of boonie kits on cat and a silber kit on a pro.. I have been throughly impressed with the silber kit to this point. Great power.. running about 7 psi at 10k on straight pump fuel with a splash of oil in each tank... I think the silber kit has run just as well up top and honestly cleaner on the bottom... not enough miles and time yet to make a full determination, but so far I would say the silber reflash is the real deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyPXyjdEAEQ

Last edited:

Crazyj700

Premium Member
Dec 30, 2012
I been running the sidekick for 600 miles from 5000ft to 10000ft
Kit works awesome, clutching is spot on at all elevations. Can't imagine another kit working any better. Lots of good reviews bout the silber as well. I think boondocker will provide better costumer service if ever needed.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
isn't the sidekick a tunnel dump only ?
something to consider

sounds like both kits work well

P

purepolaris600

Aug 21, 2009
Elkader iowa
i will give you a ride report on my axys in two days as i will be riding my sled with my new silber kit on reason i went silber was i snowchecked the kit and save cash and i also upgraded to the water to air that silber offered. also another thing i was considoring was i wanted stainless exhoust housing on turbo, plus i like the fact there is NOOOO cutting of tunnel or wire spicing on the silber kit. Also i like the face that the ecu is reflashed to run this kit. i have run the kit at my elevation at 800ft and it is very very crisp and responsive but at 10k feet that is the real test. witch will be in two days. also super clean and very simple install. and you can run whatever boost you want to run and not just set at one set boost. i am sure the sidekick runs great. but i cant give you my personal feedback on the sidekick as i have not seen or been around that kit.

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
Sidekick gets my vote. Too many flawless running sidekicks in my crew. They are as "stock like" as it gets and they rip!

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
I cant get over how well the Sidekick runs. The best running turbo I have ever been on and retains awesome throttle response. And the fact that you CAN'T touch it or adjust it is great.....no more messing with numbers, just pull and go!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Nice Kit

Have you looked into MTNTK? Another great option. About the same price, IMHO you get a better bang for your buck. Also now the same price as the Silber and Sidekick.

Wow... the prices are coming down into the "Reasonable" level now.

The MTNTK looks like a nice package... I've always been impressed with the quality of their builds....And now... at $4000 with the BW-8258 EFR, water/air intercooler, Bullydog, injectors ... impressive.

https://www.mtntkperformance.com/turbocharger-kits/2016-polaris-axys-turbocharger

12122450_544191252405998_5639394257369694006_n_0.jpg

img-1845-0-large.jpg

156-efrcutaway.jpg

Last edited:
N

N.A84

Nov 19, 2012
norway
Wow... the prices are coming down into the "Reasonable" level now.

The MTNTK looks like a nice package... I've always been impressed with the quality of their builds....And now... at $4000 with the BW-8258 EFR, water/air intercooler, Bullydog, injectors ... impressive.

https://www.mtntkperformance.com/turbocharger-kits/2016-polaris-axys-turbocharger

12122450_544191252405998_5639394257369694006_n_0.jpg

img-1845-0-large.jpg

156-efrcutaway.jpg

You could say that is really bang for the buck, i would go that direction in a heart beat if i had an axys.

Premium Features