• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Diamond extreme SSI stainless can

titaniumbadger

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Pocatello, ID
Was trying to decide between the SLP and HPS can for my new 2016 summit t3 174 and saw the SSI can. I've been searching all morning and can't find many reviews on it. Anyone have one? How the loudness compared to the HPS? Any codes? Can't beat the price, $200.

L

logan1080

Feb 12, 2013
No idea about that can. But my HPS is flawless. They actually dyno their cans and see a few hp gain. Most after market cans lose hp.

titaniumbadger

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Pocatello, ID
Yeah, I've read almost all good things about HPS, but the SSI is nearly half the price. I have a hard time paying nearly $400 for a tiny sled can.

D
Feb 20, 2009
Lots of times it's a coin flip. HSP and SLP both dyno their cans. When someone is welding one together and selling it for half price, I wonder if they have done the research with the most recent sensor on the most recent motor?? Guys at our Doo shop at first thought my '12 SLP can would work on my new 2016 E-TEC .............. then they backed out and said "well really the sensors have changed design two or three times in the last 4 yrs. Only E-TEC motors we've seen burn up were due to poor after market cans. Either spend $300 on a new dyno's can or spend %285 for a new sensor when you burn it off." Swell, anyone want to buy an near perfect SLP can for a 2012 E-TEC, 2500 miles on it. So I'm in the same boat and asking in the nearby thread about HP loss with SLP cans. Didn't notice any with the 2012. Someone much earlier said he'd loss HP and needed to take out a gm of wt. from the clutch. How he determined the HP loss is a mystery? Did he hill pull both cans same day same hill, same snow? If it's not done on a dyno it's just: "Whow, it feels different."

titaniumbadger

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Pocatello, ID
HPS it is

I decided to go with the HPS. The chrome finish looks great, everyone raves about the sound and they are just down the road from me, so I guess I like to keep my money local when possible. My last one was an SLP on my cat and worked great, but I just hear a lot of negative comments an how they sound with the etecs, plus the HPS just looks nicer. I think they will perform the same.

AkSledHed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2009
Eagle River, Ak
You will like the HPS, I've got one on my 14 XM and it sounds great and is not ear piercing like most other cans. One of my buds has an SLP on his XM and it's got kind of a tinny sound to it and the carbon fiber cans are just stupid loud.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
The SSI is stupid loud, your ears will bleed. I took my sled off the deck, ran it up the trail .3 miles, turned around, and reloaded it. Beautiful can, horrible loud. It also lean bogged my sled bad, hit the gas hard, let off, hit it again, almost go over the bars when it bogs.
I wish these aftermarket companies would actually test their product before selling it.

R
Oct 10, 2014
The GGB Mtn can worked perfectly on my Freeride last year and Summit this year. Not that loud until you clamp it. Got a nice sound and cheap money. Good service, that's what I will buy for my next sled as well.

D
Feb 20, 2009
Guess I'll stick my 2-cents in this again. What good is a reply .......... as per most in this thread, if you don't state what model sled, motor and yr.? I'll tell you. Nothin'! So, for those who have replied, why not go back and edit your message so it actually has some value to anyone who might read it? DUD. As for SSI's video of "this is how the can sounds", that's a bogus deal. I used to do sound recording research with a Altec shotgun microphone. I can make a can sound soft and mellow or screamin' ear-bleedin'. I used my cell phone to compare the sound variation between my Honda 2000 generator and new 3700W Cabela's (53 db vs. 74 db). Kept moving the phone closer and closer to the exhaust pipes. Even at about 3' from the exhaust pipe of both, the guy on other end of conversation couldn't hear either of the motors even running! That's how well a cell phone can filter out what it's electronics thinks is background noise. Moral of story, don't believe videos containing the "sound" of the can.

Speed Shop Inc.

Premium Member
Nov 4, 2009
Cannon Falls, MN
www.speedshopinc.com
mufflers

Surprised to hear anyone would say our mufflers are loud. We discontinued the glasspack mufflers after they were sold out, and yes they were loud. The new canister mufflers have a dual baffle design, but hardly what I would call loud. Louder than the stock hummingbird muffler for sure, but not ear bleeding loud by any means.
We do test our mufflers both in the field and on the dyno. We ran it at dynotech research.
I think you would not only be very happy with the look of our mufflers, but also the sound.

ssietecmuff7.jpg

Premium Features