• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need suggestions for 500 sled truck parking spaces

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I am looking for suggestions for configuration of a parking lot/unloading area for 500 trucks with sleds and trailers.
What do you like about current unloading areas?
What is your biggest pet peave about parking/unloading?
What area has the best parking lot?
What you would you like to see?
Any and all suggestions welcome. Drawings and napkin sketches accepted.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
Pet peeve is random parking. All your design work will be for naught as soon as they show up

The Rabbit Ears map has a decent parking and circulation plan. There are great big drawings and yards of text about the Muddy Creek and Dumont lots and it does no good. By the way, the trail map is no good because the parking info takes all the room.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
You should look at how they configure boat ramp parking. Usually a long angled paces that you can drive through. In on one end, out on the other.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
You should look at how they configure boat ramp parking. Usually a long angled paces that you can drive through. In on one end, out on the other.

I agree well designed angled parking in rows to allow room to drive in and out would be ideal. However even on dry asphalt with well painted parking spots some of the public cant figure it out. All it takes is the first person to screw up the parking and rest will follow leaving a parking disaster. Add a snow packed lot with no parking lines and you might as well forget about organized angled parking. I have seen way too many parking disasters on boat ramp parking lots in places I work. Also I do not know if I would want to ride out of a 500 truck/trailer lot. The trail in and out would be a whooped out disaster. 500 trucks/trailers with an average of 3 sleds per trailer. That is a lot of sleds.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I agree on not wanting any part of a riding event involving 1000+ sleds. We had five trucks in the lot yesterday and that was plenty, one sled per truck, nobody else around...

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Whether it is 500 or 50, Same principals apply.

I like the boat trailer lot example.

Yes, someone will always screw it up, but still have to try.

Have to have an official plan and keep communicating to people what that is.

Maybe trail maps could have a diagram for each parking area, right on the map. Also, use this forum and social media. Word will get out.

Pet peeve is people who leave too much distance between rigs but not quite enough to fit in another truck.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I am looking for suggestions for configuration of a parking lot/unloading area for 500 trucks with sleds and trailers.
What do you like about current unloading areas?
What is your biggest pet peave about parking/unloading?
What area has the best parking lot?
What you would you like to see?
Any and all suggestions welcome. Drawings and napkin sketches accepted.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Watch how they do it at a place like six flags. Or an event where they park lots of cars in the grass.

Angle the parking so they pull out easy.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
IMO the best setup is like they have at green rock above Centennial Wyo. Make the road side enough to park parallel like parking on a street in town. Best use of space. If it's only one vehicle wide no one gets boxed in. So maybe it stretches out for a few miles if there is actually 500, but it's no big deal ride your sleds to the trail head. If you are too far down, get up a little earlier and you can park further up.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Look at the Stampede pass Sno park on WA state parks website and the. Google earth it. They just made it ginormous. Probably not 500 but give you a good idea of size/setup for a big trailer lot.
Like said, good luck getting people to park right. If it's for an event or limited time, having people directing and parking rigs like at a fair or concert is probably the best (only) way to cram em in to the min amount of space. And that min amount of space is 10- 15 acres

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
a few different types of parking are key. The angled parking is key for truck/trailer combos and is best use of space. Also when plowing pushing things to the perimeter and creating spots for trucks with sleds in back and sled decks to pull straight up to the edges and/or load off the bank.

Best recommendation for some of the stuff since it will obviously be used in the snow is using some of the sno stakes like from a ski hill and some flagging to help show people how to at least start. When rows start off logically it at least helps promote sucess through the day. When there is just a big empty lot, its a crap shoot.

And as dumb as it might seem, a sign like when you go into a rest area with arrows. Trucks/trailers with an arrow one way and for just trucks to another. Pictures/signage are costly items for nicer ones, but good marking will save you so much space in the long run. people will always find ways to mess it up but it really helps with people aren't familiar with a lot and just don't know the parking patterns yet.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Little Belt Mountains, between Great Falls and White Sulpher Springs Montana, Kings Hill lower lot on the north side of the pass is the best I've ever seen. Put "Kings Hill Winter Recreation Area, Neihart, MT, USA" into the google earth seach bar.

Diagonal parking in each of the runs off the main road. The runs are wide enough for this and still have room to back your truck and trailer up and drive around the end to get out. Everything moves in a counter clockwise rotation. Each run is naturally separated by the tree rows so there isn't a free-for-all and there's a parking diagram sign as you enter the lot.

J
Jul 31, 2014
Fairhaven
With a deck on top of my truck I really like it if I can park pointed downhill for easiest loading at the end of the day. If I really got to ask for anything I wanted I'd have tiered parking sort of like an old drive-in movie lot but instead of parking high and pointing up at the screen I'd park low and put my ramp on the high spot. That might make plowing a little harder but it would make loading so easy. My favorite spots at my local trailhead are the ones that I can pull into off the road that are about 3' below the road grade so I can drop my ramp from the deck to the road and it's nearly flat.

Premium Features