• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Beacons....something to think about.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
As our riding season is starting to wind down, I thought I would start this thread in hopes of getting some to think and save over the summer. I finally broke down and bought 2 beacons recently as many of you know. I know, I should have done this a long time ago. Like so many here, I thought I could not afford them, or would ride "carefully" and would just be safe. Here is the thoughts that went through my head that put me over the top and made me bite the bullet and buy them. I can not imagine how helpless I would feel out on the hill when a riding partner in my group, or another for that matter were to get caught up in an avy and I had no beacon to help find them. Worse yet would be if I KNEW that they were wearing one, and here I stand with just a shovel and a big pile of snow in front of me. The needle in the haystack and it is my freind in there. Even if others in our group had beacons, (which most do) I would feel useless and foolish. I would have a very hard time this down. Especially when I ride the mountians with my 18 yr old boy alot any more. How would I explain that to mom if he were to be the one caught in an avy? No, a beacon will not and does not save everyone. What it can do however, is to bring closure sooner for those who are waiting to find their loved one. Had Yancy had a beacon, I am thinking that he most likely would have been recovered the day of the avy. I think my freinds and family deserve that much. The thoughts of the unknown and waiting are the worst. Thankfully they did find Yancy within a week and not late in the summer like some of the 99 turny victims. I cannot imagine waiting that long to bring a freind or family member home. With the price of fuel and 2 stroke oil the way it is, I stayed home 2 days this winter and on each day I skipped riding said to myself, that just bought 1 beacon. The second day, I ordered 2 beacons. ! for myself, and one for my son or whomever happens to be riding with me that day that does not have one. I owe a big thanks to aksnowrider for borrowing me one of his kids beacons several times in the past 2 years. I know he only did so, so I could find him if need be, but made me feel much more at peace on those days. If those of you without them, save a buck a day form now til fall, you will have a beacon for life. I am not going to ride any less carefull now that I am riding with one. But ride knowing that I will be able to sleep at night should the worst ever happen on the hill and know that I was there to help and did all that I could do for a freind. Sorry for the rant guys, but if this gets one person to buy a beacon, it was worth the read.
Thanks
theultrarider.

C

CATKILLER

Dec 6, 2007
ANCHORAGE,AK
good thinking its never to early to start thinking about next year or the rest of this year. i already have to of the dts tracker beacons one for me and one for a buddy but they are getting kinnda old so i just ordered a new one a few days ago it was like 450 bucks my cost but they say its the mest shizzle money can but so whats 450 dollars to save my life or some one elses. and now ill have to spare ones.
good thread theultrarider.
dan

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
great post tim, and your right..there is no reason that over the summer every person cant figure out a way(even if it is as simple as 2 less beers on friday night, or putting all your change in a can till fall)so everyone in the hills has gear(and training as well)..I have always loaned my extra beacons out because I dont want to be the one that has to return from a ride without my riding buddy..(yes I hope if I make a mistake and get buried that my buddies will find me as well)but there is no way I could live with myself if someone got buried when I have beacons laying unused at home....(I will also challenge all you riders...that have beacons...buy a spare...when you go for a ride..ask everyone in the group got a beacon?..if not..lend them yours..it is a great gesture..and it shows you care............and for those of you who can afford it..buy an extra loaner avy pack(my kids and I share the one pack I bought this fall)...it is my own goal for this fall to own 2 more packs(for my children to wear..but also to loan to my riding partners when my kids arnt riding)..mike
MY CHALLENGE TO YOU
who of you out there will put there name on this thread and commit to having more gear for either themselves or their partners before first ride next fall?...........

Jan 7, 2008
Wasilla, AK
Very good post, I have 3 and insist anyone who rides with me and does not have one of thier own, to wear mine. I bought two avy bags this years as well. I understood a long time ago, the price for these tools is nothgin compared to what I spend on the toy itself!

B
Feb 12, 2006
Eagle River
I have two extra beacons that I loan out quite often, I even have an extra backpack with shovel, probe and emergency supplies that I lend out too. My daughter has just about the same set up as I do and we have practiced together with them, although I hope to never need to use them, I insist on taking everything every ride (even if it is supposed to just be in the flats). I bought an ABS pack for someone else last year but will most likely end up getting one for myself this year.

Great thread ~ I hope it inspires others to get the gear too.

OFT Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 5, 2008
Anchorage, AK
www.OFTRacing.com
Good post Tim. I still only own one set up but plan on buying another. What got me to break down and buy the stuff was that I had a buddy coming up to ride from MN and I did not want to have to tell his mom that he died because I was un prepaired. Also I asked my self why I had no problem buying a hand gun for bear protection but I was being too cheap to buy a beacon even though there are way more icedents with Avys than bears. Last year I was not so good about wearing it but now it goes on every time im in the backcountry. I think everybody should do the same and remind there buddys. One beacon is only good for body recovery.

M
Nov 27, 2007
Mulletville, AK.
Good job Ultra

I would like to add that practice is as important as the beacon purchase. The beeper on your neck does not save you, your partners save you while searching with THEIR beacons. I don't know the numbers but I am willing to bet that many people wear a beacon and have never practiced and drilled with their riding partners. They make the purchase and hang the electronic gizmo on their neck. Seconds count, literally.

It is actually fun to get together with riding partners for a practice/ drill session before and during the season. We do it in the fall on hillsides hiding the beepers in the leaves, woods etc.

My 2 cents, beacon user since 1979.

Last edited:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I would like to add that practice is as important as the beacon purchase. The beeper on your neck does not save you, your partners save you while searching with THEIR beacons. I don't know the numbers but I am willing to bet that many people wear a beacon and have never practiced and drilled with their riding partners. They make the purchase and hang the electronic gizmo on their neck. Seconds count, literally.

It is actually fun to get together with riding partners for a practice/ drill session before and during the season. We do it in the fall on hillsides hiding the beepers in the leaves, woods etc.

My 2 cents, beacon user since 1979.

We practice with ours in the snow..I just put one in a ziplock bag and go bury it on a tracked up hill out of site of the others..then turn them loose..we used to time each person..slowest time bought the beer when we got home...

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Agreed for sure. I doubt many people practice with them anywhere near as much as they should. It is great to make a game out of it. I have heard of many that burry them with a beer attached to them.:beer; Anything to get solks to practice with then. No reason not to practice with them in the summer either when it's nice and warm out too! Like others have said, it really is a race against the clock when they are actually needed!

L

Letitsnow***907

Jan 9, 2008
Soldotna, Alaska
Thanks Tim and you are right! I have 2, one for me and my son, but it was extremely scary when my daughter went with us up to Grandview and got caught in that avy. She did not have one! I will never go riding with out every one in my group having one! I thought of buying the avy packs but they have done some studies that show our Alaska snow is to heavy and the dumbies get buried in every test they did!

I have been extremely humbled this year by surviving a big avalache! And we will be more prepared and careful next year!

Heading to Petersville for 3 days in the morning:) Yee haaaaaa!

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Thanks Tim and you are right! I have 2, one for me and my son, but it was extremely scary when my daughter went with us up to Grandview and got caught in that avy. She did not have one! I will never go riding with out every one in my group having one! I thought of buying the avy packs but they have done some studies that show our Alaska snow is to heavy and the dumbies get buried in every test they did!

I have been extremely humbled this year by surviving a big avalache! And we will be more prepared and careful next year!

Heading to Petersville for 3 days in the morning:) Yee haaaaaa!

let it snow, bottomfeeder m7 got in one at turny(this year)..he said flat out his abs pack saved his life.....

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Great Post Ultra. As always you always put out good advise....Some of us need to be told a few times. I have 2 beacons & gear, but I would like to learn more about the Avy packs. What is the pros & cons of the ones out there from people that wear them up here? Any advice to one or the other? The smaller & lighter the better for me. Has anyone got a discount if we order several (if any of you want one)?

W
Feb 27, 2008
Great Post Ultra. As always you always put out good advise....Some of us need to be told a few times. I have 2 beacons & gear, but I would like to learn more about the Avy packs. What is the pros & cons of the ones out there from people that wear them up here? Any advice to one or the other? The smaller & lighter the better for me. Has anyone got a discount if we order several (if any of you want one)?

i would definetly be interested in a bulk order if we could all save a few bucks.with the exception of the one buddy whos gonna "be careful"myself and all riding partners have beacons.even mr. careful has been forced to wear the beacon of whoever couldent make it lately.we all do/love an inherently dangerous sport and we should give ourselves every oppurtunity to come home safely EVERY time.if that means having a few less beers or saving all your loose change as stated above,then do it.we all spend A LOT of money on the best sled,pipe,can,jacket,helmet,boots etc. and all to often forget the important stuff...beacon,shovel,probe,abs packs,avy classes,etc.this is a great topic.everyone enjoy the rest of the season.

C
Jan 7, 2008
Anchortown, AK
Don't forget about the Avalung packs, they won't keep you from getting buried, but they can significantly extend your survivable burial time. My Dad and some of his friends came up for Arctic Man this year from the lower 48 and I insisted that they all have beacon, probe, and shovels. Once I was able to convince them that it was a legitimate expense, they went the extra mile and bought packs with an integrated Avalung (Black Diamond makes them). I got the opportunity to check them out and they're pretty cool.

Bonus Arctic Man beacon drill: put the beacon on the drunkest wanderer in your party and try to find them at night!:beer;

T

TEH HITMAN

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 16, 2008
SEWARD
www.fs.fed.us
WELL NOW BOYS! GOOD ON YOU ! THIS IS THE BEST THREAD I"VE SEEN IN THE AK ROOM IN QUITE SOME TIME!

I AM BOTH SHAKING MY HEAD IN AMAZEMENT AT THE AMOUNT OF UNPREPARED BACKCOUNTRY TRAVELERS, AS WELL AS PLEASED THAT PEOPLES AWARENESS LEVELS ARE BEING INCREASED.

IT FEELS GOOD TO HAVE YOUR HEAD OUT OF THAT SAND, NOW DOESN'T IT?

UNLESS YOU RIDE STRICTLY FLATS AWAY FROM AVALANCHE TERRAIN,BEACONS ARE NOT JUST SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT , THEY ARE AN ABSOLUTE NECCESSITY!

PRACTICE USING THEM.
ALWAYS DO A BEACON CHECK WITH YOUR ENTIRE GROUP BEFORE YOU BEGIN YOUR TRAVELS.

THERE ARE ALOT OF RESOURCES AVAILABLE TO EDUCATE YOURSELVES ON SNOW SAFTEY.PLEASE USE THEM!

REMINDS ME OF FINDING A BEACON , TURNED OFF, MILES UP JOHNSON PASS TRAIL. WHEN I LOCATED THE OWNER WEEKS LATER IN ANCHORAGE,AND GAVE HIM HIS BEACON BACK AS HIS SMALL SON STOOD WATCHING.

I MENTIONED TO THE BEACON OWNER THAT THE BEACON WORKS BEST WHEN TURNED ON AND WORN ON YOUR BODY, NOT STORED IN THE POUCH BEHIND THE SEAT.

I SUGGESTED TO HIM THAT HIS SON WOULD PROBABLY AGREE WITH ME.

SO YOU WON'T HEAR THIS OFTEN FROM TEH HITMAN,BUT,

NICE JOB ON THIS THREAD, YOU NANCIES!

LeesFerryRanger640x4001.jpg

H
Dec 11, 2007
Valley Boy
Thanks for the thread!

My suggestion ... PEER Pressure!

It works ... no more excuses .... raz them till they buy em, simple as that. In fact, I usually dont let guys ride with me who dont have them.

Premium Features