• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Blown Engine

:brokenheart: I bought a band new Polaris 550N IQ Shift last year in March. So far this season I have replace the drive axle bearings, rebuilt the chain case, reolaced 3 sets of piston and both cylinders all within 4 weeks. Took the machine for a hunting trip. Got 15 miles from town and the engine blew again.

Warm up time each time and every time is 15 to 20 minutes,except at -40C when I give it 30 minutes.

Any one got any ideas

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
If it's new I assume this is all under warranty? Is it burning down because it's too lean? Bad fuel? Need to find the cause....there is always a cause.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Throwing parts at it without finding the problem is just going to keep causing you to throw parts at it.

Who is doing the work on it? You or the dealer?

sled_guy

A
Oct 12, 2010
Baie-Comeau, Quebec
I think too much warm up time. Sometimes the oil pump falls below the lower mark when the machine just idles. To fix this you not only need to adjust the oil cable but also the throttle one. Because when the carb throttle slide are closed when you release throttle the oil pump continue to go down a little after the slides are closed and sometime way below the lower line mark of the oil pump.

So your machine may have ran with no oil at all for many 15-30 minutes periods...That means no good...

Just my thought..

I had to play on the adjustment on my 2011 600 rmk when I bought it to fix that trouble.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
The 550 is an old proven carbed sled, don't be thinking it's anything like a CFI engine. Sounds like a poor mechanic (pistons and cylinders) and lack of maintenance caused parts to fail (bearings need grease and chain-case needs adjusting/lube changes).

Last edited:
D
Mar 24, 2008
Idaho
:brokenheart: I bought a band new Polaris 550N IQ Shift last year in March. So far this season I have replace the drive axle bearings, rebuilt the chain case, reolaced 3 sets of piston and both cylinders all within 4 weeks. Took the machine for a hunting trip. Got 15 miles from town and the engine blew again.

Warm up time each time and every time is 15 to 20 minutes,except at -40C when I give it 30 minutes.

Any one got any ideas

Its a polaris. Thats the way they run. :face-icon-small-ton

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
Not to be an a$$ but it sounds like you need a new mechanic... You should be getting atleast 500 miles on them before they blow:face-icon-small-ton

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007

Any one got any ideas

If you ride on water or salt water, you're going to go through bearings unless you grease things often and change chaincase oil regularly (at least the end of every season.) The sled maybe not factory jetted for your elevation and temps. The carbs need to be jetted up to 270's if you regularly ride at temps lower than -35C. Does your dealer sell a lot of 550's or just a few?

550N IQ Shift engine

:face-icon-small-hap I got me an older engine from a Trai Touring 550, it has no oil lines going to the outer bearing and no oil injection and it drops in and hooks up the same on the ectrical connection and runs perfect. So much for the new **** they put on machines now-a days, old works the best in the ARCTIC where winter does not know to give up easy.

Thanks for all the help:love:

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
550's burning down

The 550 is an old proven carbed sled, don't be thinking it's anything like a CFI engine. Sounds like a poor mechanic (pistons and cylinders) and lack of maintenance caused parts to fail (bearings need grease and chain-case needs adjusting/lube changes).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't there recent past issues (commonly with 550 fan 2007-2008 in the EDGE chassis) with the 550's burning down at part throttle ????

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
This is the first post like this for a 550 that I have heard of. This sled had more than burn down issues....which can happen occasionally with any 2 stroke.

Premium Features