• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Will you buy a first year sled without a demo ride?

What are your requirements for ordering/buying an Alpha Cat?

• I will only order/buy one if I have ridden one

Votes: 65 30.4%
  • I will order/buy one if I have heard positive reviews from someone I know or trust

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I trust Rob Kincaid and David McClure

Votes: 15 7.0%
  • I have no problem buying a sled that myself and no one else has ridden

Votes: 63 29.4%

• Total voters

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
There seems to be lots of guys upset that Cat appears to not be planning demos for the Alpha Cat. I think its stupid myself. Just wondering what your decision process is when ordering or considering ordering a first year sled. I know I would like to check an Alpha Cat but will not with out riding one myself or getting real ride impressions from someone I know or know of, therefore I wont be ordering one for 2019 (unless some demos do happen). Reviews from Rob Kincaid and David McClure will NOT sell me on it. I will try to get a poll set up.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
i bought a 17MC without riding one. it has been great, no regrets. I like having a green sled. too many sheeple out there. if i ever see more cats than the others around here, i will change brands

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Think about how many sleds you've bought over the years. How many have you got to demo? I've had 25 different sleds over the years. 3 were used. It seems like I got to demo 3. Sure wish I would have demoed the rt1000. I guess my other option was the poo 900. Not a good year. I could at least still my wife's 800 rev. It was fun. I get that they are a lot of money but they were a bunch way back when when you compare what you made.
As far as Rob and Dave, I think you have to take everything with a grain of salt. I know Rob. Used to work down there and went riding with them. They used to stop up here, on the way to the race school, and we would go out on the town. I don't think they are going to flat out lie to a person but you might not get the whole truth. They are paid to talk things up. No different than my buddy who is an outfitter in Alaska. I went up with him, on a moose, bear hunt years ago. I was asking him about how many bears. He talked up how many they were seeing. When I got up there I found out that seeing them and getting them are 2 different stories. Would you go if he said they haven't seen sh!t? Talk up the positives and leave out the negatives.
I've been around long enough that I pretty well know what works and doesn't work and why. I'm not blinded by brand loyalty. You won't know on durability or things of that nature. These are built by the engineers as a 1,2 3 off to test and then they farm it out. There usually lies the problem or the bean counter. Just hope you get lucky.
Here is what I know about the alpha. Everyone talks up the 18 cats power and handling. I've only rode the 17. Feels like a slug in handling and power compare to my 850. 18 is supposed to be way better. Win. The 3 inch power claw is the best track out there and I know what doo 3.5 pitch does. Win. I think cats have better shock package and ride better. Win. No snow on sled is a huge win. I know t motion and flex edge ups and downs. This is different if you think about it. I know an axys is not immune to washout if steep enough and this won't be either. It is more than a stiff edge. It is combination of traction, momentum, throttle, snow and a few other things. I also know the day isn't one all day 50 or 60 degree steep sidehill and I don't play on some stuff if a spindle won't dig in.
It is also a given that you will be able to rail corners if you think about it. Easier to get unstuck because you aren't riding if you don't get stuck. Sometimes you aren't riding if you do get stuck.
I ordered one 2 days after they were released. My wife is getting my boosted 850.
If your not sure and like your sled, keep it and buy the following year. You will be able to find a few next year but it will be where and how much.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Personally, I will bitch and moan about no demo rides till I’m blue in the face. Seen cat pull too many bone head moves in the last 7 years I’m just used to it by now. I’m a cat guy, but I do like to try everything and make my own opinion. I have owned most mountain sleds of all brands. At the end of the day I’ll most likely snow check one, but I won’t like it. Sometimes you just have to bend over and take it.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Think about how many sleds you've bought over the years. How many have you got to demo? I've had 25 different sleds over the years. 3 were used. It seems like I got to demo 3. Sure wish I would have demoed the rt1000. I guess my other option was the poo 900. Not a good year. I could at least still my wife's 800 rev. It was fun. I get that they are a lot of money but they were a bunch way back when when you compare what you made.
As far as Rob and Dave, I think you have to take everything with a grain of salt. I know Rob. Used to work down there and went riding with them. They used to stop up here, on the way to the race school, and we would go out on the town. I don't think they are going to flat out lie to a person but you might not get the whole truth. They are paid to talk things up. No different than my buddy who is an outfitter in Alaska. I went up with him, on a moose, bear hunt years ago. I was asking him about how many bears. He talked up how many they were seeing. When I got up there I found out that seeing them and getting them are 2 different stories. Would you go if he said they haven't seen sh!t? Talk up the positives and leave out the negatives.
I've been around long enough that I pretty well know what works and doesn't work and why. I'm not blinded by brand loyalty. You won't know on durability or things of that nature. These are built by the engineers as a 1,2 3 off to test and then they farm it out. There usually lies the problem or the bean counter. Just hope you get lucky.
Here is what I know about the alpha. Everyone talks up the 18 cats power and handling. I've only rode the 17. Feels like a slug in handling and power compare to my 850. 18 is supposed to be way better. Win. The 3 inch power claw is the best track out there and I know what doo 3.5 pitch does. Win. I think cats have better shock package and ride better. Win. No snow on sled is a huge win. I know t motion and flex edge ups and downs. This is different if you think about it. I know an axys is not immune to washout if steep enough and this won't be either. It is more than a stiff edge. It is combination of traction, momentum, throttle, snow and a few other things. I also know the day isn't one all day 50 or 60 degree steep sidehill and I don't play on some stuff if a spindle won't dig in.
It is also a given that you will be able to rail corners if you think about it. Easier to get unstuck because you aren't riding if you don't get stuck. Sometimes you aren't riding if you do get stuck.
I ordered one 2 days after they were released. My wife is getting my boosted 850.
If your not sure and like your sled, keep it and buy the following year. You will be able to find a few next year but it will be where and how much.

Expect to pay full MSRP next season. Good chances feb rebates, if any, will not be much. I think this sled will be a hot ticket all season and the dealers that have one will be asking primo pricing. Simple supply and demand.

One thing to keep in mind. It’s just a skid track and drivers. Everything else about the sled is already proven. So really what is the risk? Maybe you won’t like it. If so, pull the skid/track/divers and sell them. Good chance you’ll be money ahead after putting the conventional stuff on.

Even with that said, I still think it’s a huge mistake if cat doesn’t get more people on this sled. I bet yesterday’s new ride review post easily sold another 25 sleds for cat, just think what that would be if there was more demo rides. I strongly believe the ER program has created the success Cat is currently seeing.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
IMO if you need a demo ride you will never buy a limited release snow checked sled. That being said there is almost always a few of these out there in season dealers may be able to demo. I have always been amazed that no one will lay down even 2k for a car they don't drive, yet snowmobilers lay down 14k based on a picture. Put me on that list. I have snow checked lots of sleds over the years.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Agree with a lot of that... but this sled is different than anything thats come out the last 10 years. Why wouldnt they get some out on the snow? I see absolutely NO reason not to.

Thinking back to the introduction of the Pro RMK I can remember seeing that thing all over social media, they had all sorts of demos all over the west and it seemed like every “pro” and aftermarket company had one. Crazy because at that time sledding didnt have much of a social media presence but that sled was everywhere. They sold more Pro RMKs in 2011 and 2012 than any other sled.

Its early so who know maybe we will see more of this sled over the next few weeks. I am not doubting the thing one bit, but without hordes of cash laying around I will be waiting till mid winter before I decide whether or not to upgrade.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
i bought a 17MC without riding one. it has been great, no regrets. I like having a green sled. too many sheeple out there. if i ever see more cats than the others around here, i will change brands

It was a 2016 with a dropped case, they had been around in the aftermarket forever and were proven. We knew what that sled was and knew it would work. This is different IMO.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
So let’s consider what the alpha is. It’s an 18’ Mountain cat with a different skid. So we know it’s got a good engine. Good clutches. Good chassis. Good ergonomics. Good track. Good handling characteristics.

I am seriously considering the alpha over another 850. Especially after reading a good review from a non paid rider.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Agree with a lot of that... but this sled is different than anything thats come out the last 10 years. Why wouldnt they get some out on the snow? I see absolutely NO reason not to.

Thinking back to the introduction of the Pro RMK I can remember seeing that thing all over social media, they had all sorts of demos all over the west and it seemed like every “pro” and aftermarket company had one. Crazy because at that time sledding didnt have much of a social media presence but that sled was everywhere. They sold more Pro RMKs in 2011 and 2012 than any other sled.

Its early so who know maybe we will see more of this sled over the next few weeks. I am not doubting the thing one bit, but without hordes of cash laying around I will be waiting till mid winter before I decide whether or not to upgrade.
I bought an 11 pro for my wife solely by taking a buddy's word. He liked the same things I did. Worked out great. I could have demoed a 174 xm for my wife but couldn't make it. I finally just did it because I knew she would have more fun if she wasn't stuck. She is always worried what people think if they have to help her get unstuck. I also knew that t motion is perfect for beginners and gals who need easy. I figured any negatives would be outweighed by the positives. Awesome for her.
I understand your frustration and I don't see why they don't. Maybe they don't care if it is limited in case they have problems.
I guess I would like to know what your hold up is or what you think won't work?

SledGuru

Lifetime Membership
May 9, 2008
WY 307
I jumped shipped from a skidoo to a cat last year and snow checked. I was able to look them over in person and just read all the reviews I could weather they were legit or not. I do not regret the change one bit. Like mentioned above besides skid and smaller better improvements the sled is the same as the 18 mnt cat. I will be able to wait one year as I will keep my 18 at least one more year but I wouldn't be scared to jump in head first.

Did the same thing when the 13 xm came out.

Hoss

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I bought an 11 pro for my wife solely by taking a buddy's word. He liked the same things I did. Worked out great. I could have demoed a 174 xm for my wife but couldn't make it. I finally just did it because I knew she would have more fun if she wasn't stuck. She is always worried what people think if they have to help her get unstuck. I also knew that t motion is perfect for beginners and gals who need easy. I figured any negatives would be outweighed by the positives. Awesome for her.
I understand your frustration and I don't see why they don't. Maybe they don't care if it is limited in case they have problems.
I guess I would like to know what your hold up is or what you think won't work?
Like I said I really dont have any doubts... I just don’t understand. I know there are alot of skeptical people. If it works, prove it.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
It was a 2016 with a dropped case, they had been around in the aftermarket forever and were proven. We knew what that sled was and knew it would work. This is different IMO.

fair enough just responding to your title question, since its exactly what i did and i never rode a 16 or proclimb before.
turboless terry also references the 17MC and should know, its the same chassis as the 18 with different plastics. shocks are different but work the same way, and those settings can easily change how the sled feels so play with them if you want it to be more doo-like.

Last edited:

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Not living near the mountains its just to risky to buy a problematic sled. So I never buy a first year sled, because when I make it to the mountains I want to ride not do R&D.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I'd bet that if someone bought a Mountain Cat Alpha and didn't like the new skid, there'd be a few folks with 2018 Mountain Cats that would make a track, skid, and driver swap deal with them. Just something else to consider for those on the fence.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
if a guy has to always see the end from the beginning, he'll always know where he is but it won't be as much fun....sometimes you have to use your best instincts, experience and knowledge and step into the dark trusting in your abilities to see your way through to landing on your feet....i didn't know what my wife would be like as we took our journey through life, but i trusted my instincts and came up with a winner...

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I'm in the 20 new sleds and never a demo gang.

The only 2 I regret buying were the very first ones I bought. 2 new 95 Poo trail sleds. Had only ridden a sled once the week before and they were sitting on the showroom floor. Had no idea what I wanted but knew a sled was way more fun to ride in the snow than our quads and 3 wheelers were so I was a buyer. Gave them to the kids and they loved them :)

Last edited:
Premium Features