• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help with walker evan cannister/reservoir

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Bear with me as I've been riding cat since 2003 and all my shock knowledge is in the form of fox floats.

I have a set of walker evan shocks with a cannister or reservoir on them, and was told that the shocks are race shocks off an IQR.

I notice that the walker evan shocks on my pro have a valve at the top (same place that the reservoir threads into my IQ shocks.

My question is, do the walker evans have oil, or air in the reservoir? how would I go about installing the reservoir on my pro shocks or can this not be done?

The reservoir has a clicker on them, so I'm wondering what the mechanics of the clicker are? Any help is appriciated.

Here is pics of the IQ shocks
5841086728_28003819df_s.jpg
[/url] walker evan shocks 001 by dmkhnr, on Flickr[/IMG]

5841086784_b0b1e94eb6_s.jpg
[/url] walker evan shocks 003 by dmkhnr, on Flickr[/IMG]

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
The WE shocks you have are "conventional" high-pressure nitrogen charged shocks - the nitrogen charge (and some oil) is located inside the clicker reservoir instead of the shock body as in "non-clicker" shocks. In simple terms, the clicker adjustment is basically a small flow control valve that adds resistance to fluid flowing between the shock body and the reservoir when the shock is compressed - thereby making it "stiffer". There is a "little more" going on than that, but the rest of the details don't really do anything to answer your question. Can you add reservoirs to your Pro shocks? If your Pro has conventional high-pressure nitrogen charged rebuildable shocks (like a Fox, Ryde FX, WE or similar shock), the answer is "yes".

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The WE Remote (non-piggyback) reservoirs you are showing could be installed on your new shocks BUT.... There are many things to consider.

1) You cannot do it yourself at home unless you have the proper shock-specific tools and understanding of the shocks... They are pressurized and can be dangerous if you dissassemble them.

2) The "valve" on your Pro shock is actually a nitrogen charging port... you put a hypodermic-type of nitrogen charging device in there to add the nitrogen behind the IFP (internal floating piston).

3) To do this you would need to completly dissassemble the pro shock, remove the IFP (#6)... Calculate the proper oil volume and nitrogen charge, install the remote reservoir, reassemble the shock, charge with oil/nitrogen.

4) With the smaller (approx .50") shaft size of the Pro shock... the shock will not move very much oil through the reservoir so you wont get much oil control from this addition as the smaller shaft simlply does not displace (move) much oil in the shock compared to the larger 5/8" shock shaft. ....The Clicker on your shock is more than a simple needle valve... it controls the preload on a small valve stack... that valvestack is calibrated for a completely diff setup... how well it would work would be, IMO, a "try it and see" kind of thing.

IMO... adding this reservoir will cost more than it would seem at first glance and not be worth the effort.

7043429.gif

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
MH, Rocket
Thank you for the effort and valuable info. I'm going to call Holz and see what they think about adding these piggybacks with their valving, and just let them deal with all of it.
I actually really like the pro susp as is (I'm used to a cat susp) and now that I have it all setup for myself I'm not sure I want to even mess with it.

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
I agree that just revalving will do a lot for you. Factory valving is VERY generic. Clickers are a nice feature and I do adjust the clickers on my shocks for doing different types of riding, but if you have to buy all the equipment to add them AND pay someone to install everything, you're going to spend some $$. Its even possible that by the time you're done, you might be able to purchase an "accessory" shock kit with clickers (or find a set of take-offs) and be close to the same amount of $$.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
One of the big things with remote 'clicker' reservoirs (both piggyback and hose mounted types) is that people want fluid control...the ability to adjust the compression speed of shock.

To get this control... you have to move fluid in/out of the remote resi and compress the IFP... more fluid movement in/out = more ability to control the shock. The amount of fluid that you move is dictated by the diameter of the shock shaft... and to a smaller degree the compression valving inside of the shock. A larger shaft will displace more fluid than a smaller shaft as the shock cycles thru its travel.

The smaller shaft of most of the mono-tube, non resi shocks does not move much oil and when you add the resi, your ability to control the shock with a small amount of oil movement is limited. Also the compression valve stack inside the shock would need to be changed to work in harmony with the remote resi and the fluid control device (clicker).

Shocks are fairly easy to understand... BUT... you have to put time into "wrapping your head" around the concepts and hardware.

Last edited:
D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
It looks like Holz will valve my fronts for $150. I'm not sure I want to touch the rear as it is very effective in the deep stuff, and works really well with keeping the front end planted in a climb.
My buddy has the assault piggyback on his pro, and he said it didn't make much of a difference. I'm afraid I would bust that canister off while rippin through the trees.

Premium Features