• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

exhaust temp sensor

M

MNSLEDNECK56308

Nov 21, 2007
Alex MN
I hear ya, about the same here, but hey at least its not top end's we are replacing!!! Not sure if this has any relation but when my last one went, after update last year, oil pump was running 23/1!

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
I just had mine go out also. I think it was do to over tightening it. Snowjw told me not to over tightened it or it cracks the porcelain inside causing them to not read correctly. He said that use antisieze and then tighten them finger tight and then just barely tap a wrench with one finger. I had to use some force to get mine out and he said that was too tight and it will cause them to fail early. You want them just barely past falling out and they should hold up.

Last edited:
R

RMJ

Oct 22, 2008
I just had mine go out yesterday as the dealer was looking up the part # it superseded apparently they know this is another one of there many problems

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Mine failed at 350 miles went through 1 tank of oil in 75 miles right before the light came on... dealer replaced egt and adjusted oil pump, had the latest flash and now runs very consistant..

sledcaddie

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincoln, NE
exhaust sensor

Service manual warns you NOT to overtighten exhaust sensor. It will crack the porcelain. Like he said above, also use antiseize on threads when replacing.

D
Mar 19, 2009
Idaho
Thanks for all the info guys. Both times my sensors have been under warrenty and installed by the dealer. Im running a skinz super Q can. Thats the only mod to the motor i have done. It was also installed by the dealer when i bought it. My dad bought the same 09 dragon 800 and it has 600 miles on the same sensor. I put his sensor in my cat and have put 60 miles on it and it is working fine so far.

DangerousDave

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Kalama WA.
EGT Resistance?

I reciently bought a 2009 Dragon and only made it a couple hundred yards from the trailer on my first ride before the check engine light started flashing a 5 code. When i got it home I ohmed out the EGT and it reads "open". Does anyone have a reference as to what it should read at room temperature? Is there a temperature resistance chart for these sensors?
Another symptom I have seen mentioned (and discounted) in these forums is oil usage. I used 3/4 of a tank of oil in less than 30 miles. I havent looked into the oil pump adjustment yet but could that have anything to do with the EGT failure or the 5 code?

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Look on the stinger part of the sensor that goes into the pipe. If you see any sign of contact or rubbing you can use your drill bit set to choose 1 index size over what the sensor hole is and drill it out. This will give the clearance needed so it doesn't make contact and should help. Worked on 1 of our boosted 09's. EW

ps, if boosted, pull the pipe and be sure to clear any shavings or debris.

Premium Features