• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil Line Brass Fitting Came off

C
Oct 29, 2008
Has anyone ever seen this happen? The brass fitting for the main oil line feed came off the oil pump...
What's your guys opinions on just mixing the gas and running it until a new oil pump comes in?

image.jpg

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Can't run premix. Crank bearing will get smoked.

If it's still a snug fit, clean all the oil off, then clean with brake cleaner, scuff brass with scotchbright and then put loctite "sleeve retainer" on the fitting and put it back in pump. Wait for it to fully dry.

Make sure passage is clear and fitting is snug. Refill with oil and check for leaks.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
If it is too loose you can expand it carefully with a long tapered drift punch. Just be gentle and test fit it often. It will expand pretty easily.

That fitting gets beat pretty hard by most people pulling and replacing the engine as it is at the lowest point. Most drag it over things and set the engine on that fitting to rest or reposition. That practice exacerbates your issue, but none of them I've had are tight enough for my liking. I like it so it takes a tap or two with a small hammer to re-seat it.

C
Oct 29, 2008
Thanks for that tip Loud Handle. My main concern was it not having a snug fir. Going out to do it now. We had a major snowstorm here last night and no power up until an hour ago. I'll let you guys know how I make out!

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Thanks for that tip Loud Handle. My main concern was it not having a snug fir. Going out to do it now. We had a major snowstorm here last night and no power up until an hour ago. I'll let you guys know how I make out!
Haha. Bet ya 100 bucks I know where you are! Man it was deep today!

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

C
Oct 29, 2008
So I took all the throttle bodies and stuff off for access to the oil pump, still a mission to get my hands in there.
I expanded the fitting, cleaned it up, and reached under to press it in place.
It felt like it was in all the way. Tried tapping it with a small ratchet due to no room in there.
Took it for a rip up the road and was pumped. Finally getting to run my Mod Engine.
Then turned around and BAMN, oil puddle under the machine.
Pulled the engine last night, and the fitting wasn't pressed in enough.
So with the motor on he bench, loctite it, and it needed to go in another 1/8" or so.
The sucker is in there now. Putting the engine back in this afternoon!

Premium Features