• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2004 Switchback 800 VES Problem / Please read and provide some thoughts

R
Nov 13, 2009
I have a customer with this machine ( I am a self employed power sport mechanic). It has a low end bog off idle only. By that I mean, if the sled is over 2,000 it runs fine. It doesn't hesitate at all if the motor isn't idling.However if you punch it off idle it hesitates and has a slight backfire through the exhaust. Let me start with what I have done. Keep in mind the current owner did not buy it new so we don't know any prior history. The previous owner confirmed it had the same issue the whole time he owned it.It has under 2,000 Miles.

1. cleaned the carbs 4 times with my ultrasonic cleaner
2. reset the fuel and air screws to factory defaults 1 and 1
3. tried tuning the fuel and air screws with little results
4. Both cylinders have 140 psi compression.

One thing I did notice is the PTO side cylinder is running about 60-80 Deg. hotter than the magneto side (Tested with digital infrared therm)

I am assuming that the PTO side cylinder needs to be richened but I have never had to run one cylinder that much different than the other on any machine I worked on. Or what about the crank being out of index?

Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated !!!

Thanks, Mark

R
Nov 13, 2009
I forgot to add, The sled has the factory jets in it with the factory exhaust. Also, I did clean the power valves and they are seated and sealed correctly.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
You might check the needle position. I use the #2 position from the top of the needles. It could be set in the #1 position, so that it would idle leaner. The other thought is to turn the idle up to about 4000 rpm.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Check the reeds... if they are chipped at all they can cause off idle performance issues. Probably not an issue if the previous owner had the issue from new.

Check the TPS, it can also cause off idle bog and may have been set wrong from the factory.

Check and make sure your fuel screws don't have the little pointy end broken off of them and stuck in the carbs. Sometimes people turn them in and bottom them out and break the end off and it gets stuck in the carb. You adjust the screws thinking you are doing something but you aren't.

Make sure the choke cable is slack when its off.

sled_guy

R
Nov 13, 2009
I did recalibrate the tps and checked the reeds. I also did check the carb fuel and air screws, the ends aren't broken.. :( Same issue. I am stumped.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I'm assuming you have tried moving the needles one clip or moving the plastic washer above or below to tweak it a little?

And check those needles to make sure they are both the same... I have actually seen a couple of sleds that had different needles in each carb, someone had messed up.

And what's strange is that that particular Polaris twin usually runs hotter on the mag side than the PTO side. It isn't uncommon to run them 1 main jet size bigger on the mag side to get the temps equal.

sled_guy

Premium Features