• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Welcome to Ski-doo Brett Rasmussen

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I really like the way that BRP has a strategic plan in who they throw money at or at least it seems that way. Norona is just a great all around nice guy, good rider, great backcountry guy and really a natural marketing person. Treadway is the crash test dummy. Dan go jump off that cliff, make it look cool and we will take your picture and put you in a magazine. Kuster is just a wizard backcountry rider, way under promoted who runs an awesome lodge in the midddle of the best riding anywhere. Brett is the mad scientist/engineer who can also ride the crap out of sleds. He is the bridge from the factory engineers, who can't ride at that level, and the great riders which Brett is/was one of them. You don't see a lot of duplication there, just top guys in their area of expertise. This will show in the their product line soon. I bet Brett's first move is to put the XM on a diet...

V
Jul 4, 2008
orem, utah
the xm has a horizontal steering post and ive known bret for four years and his number 1 item of business when it comes to a backcountry mtn sled is how the ski doo doesnt work and the 1100 turbo pro climb doenst work and the nytro doesnt work becuase of the steering post design. i'm thinking ski doo must have a new chassis lined up for 2014 or bret is goingt o be coming up with some major mods to make a vertical steering post design into this xp (xm) chassis.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
The post on the XM is closer to vertical, but having spent a lot of time on sleds with both I wouldn't be surprised if he changes his tune after becoming used to a slightly more layed back steering. The XM is very close to the Poo.
The issue with the layed back post is guys jacking the riser forward so it makes for a goofy "arc" when turning/countersteering.....lay the riser back to the post angle and it has advantages for technical riding (IMHO).

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
i just dont agree with anybody that says the steering post doesnt work.

Hurricane Tim

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2009
Brett is a phenomenal rider, and BRP knows that. My guess is that he made the switch to BRP because they offered him a sweeter deal than AC, not because of a vastly superior sled design. Brett could ride a 2001 - 600 Mountain Cat and make it look like the best mountain sled ever. Brp has gone headhunting for Brett because he will make Ski Doo sleds look like rippers, and BRP will sell more sleds because of it.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
i just dont agree with anybody that says the steering post doesnt work.

This is a more stupider post than the one before. The horz. post works for steering yes, but it doesn't work as good as a vert. post in the steep tight stuff. It's chassis 101! If you can't see the draw backs of a horz. steering post.......? Well....... YOU'RE STUPID!

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
2 questions for you snowmobiler....

Do MX bikes have a vert. steering or horz.? How would a horz. post work on a dirt bike?

Same concept for a freeride or mountain snowmobile..... A raked out steering post just doesn't work like a vert. post when standing up and riding aggressively. Plane and simple as that. IMO If you want to sit down and ride the horz. post works better.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Brett is a phenomenal rider, and BRP knows that. My guess is that he made the switch to BRP because they offered him a sweeter deal than AC, not because of a vastly superior sled design.

I would think he was somewhat disapointed with the new chassis and it's issues....when you can't carry enough belts to complete a short days ride and a customer has to ride his XP back to fetch more belts....that would be pretty embarassing and make it tough to endorse the product.
I wish him luck!

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
This is a more stupider post than the one before. The horz. post works for steering yes, but it doesn't work as good as a vert. post in the steep tight stuff. It's chassis 101! If you can't see the draw backs of a horz. steering post.......? Well....... YOU'RE STUPID!

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e8e8e8; COLOR: #e8e8e8" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
wrong.the vert cats i had was'nt any easier to manuver than the skidoo is.

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
2 questions for you snowmobiler....

Do MX bikes have a vert. steering or horz.? How would a horz. post work on a dirt bike?

Same concept for a freeride or mountain snowmobile..... A raked out steering post just doesn't work like a vert. post when standing up and riding aggressively. Plane and simple as that. IMO If you want to sit down and ride the horz. post works better.
Dirtbikes do have a horizontal post. The headtube angle causes the bars to swing through an arc not in a flat plane. Now imagine trying to ride a dirtbike with a vertical post meaning vertical front forks. :crutch:

Y

Yamahog

Feb 13, 2011
Washington state
Brett is a phenomenal rider, and BRP knows that. My guess is that he made the switch to BRP because they offered him a sweeter deal than AC, not because of a vastly superior sled design. Brett could ride a 2001 - 600 Mountain Cat and make it look like the best mountain sled ever. Brp has gone headhunting for Brett because he will make Ski Doo sleds look like rippers, and BRP will sell more sleds because of it.

I'm sure that did have something to do with it, but its probably not the whole story, probably a combo of a better deal and not being super happy with the pro climb.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Dirtbikes do have a horizontal post. The headtube angle causes the bars to swing through an arc not in a flat plane. Now imagine trying to ride a dirtbike with a vertical post meaning vertical front forks. :crutch:

Wrong! The vert. posts on the Pro and M series are not straight up and down. They are nearly the same angle as a MX bike front fork. Now try to imagine a fork at the angle of an XP steering post.:face-icon-small-dis:crutch:

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
it dont matter.snow is soft.all new sleds you just lean a little and the sled carves around trees.horizontal,vertical has nothing to do with it.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e8e8e8; COLOR: #e8e8e8" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
wrong.the vert cats i had was'nt any easier to manuver than the skidoo is.

You must ride like your gramma then.

It's just like putting a 20 degree raked fork on a MX bike compared to the 5 degree that all MX bikes have. It's the same feel!

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
it dont matter.snow is soft.all new sleds you just lean a little and the sled carves around trees.horizontal,vertical has nothing to do with it.

It matters A LOT to a ton of snowmobilers, I can't beleave it doesn't matter to ALL snowmobilers! You'll come around some day.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.

EXACTLY!!! At the end of the day, money is the only thing and everything. A.C has been cutting their "advertising" budget for the last few years. It started with ending the spring ride promotions a couple of years ago. The 2012 mountain sled had zero to do with this move. People need to remember that this sport makes it's money on the OEM's failure's.

The post on the XM is closer to vertical, but having spent a lot of time on sleds with both I wouldn't be surprised if he changes his tune after becoming used to a slightly more layed back steering. The XM is very close to the Poo.
The issue with the layed back post is guys jacking the riser forward so it makes for a goofy "arc" when turning/countersteering.....lay the riser back to the post angle and it has advantages for technical riding (IMHO).

EXACTLY AGAIN! Guys cram the post way to far forward (angle) because it feels better when they are dancing the sled back and forth from one ski to another in the garage on the concrete. The XP/XM must have the riser adjusted in perfect line with the angle of the post. Then if the height needs to be adjusted, you must adjust the height with a different length riser. Doo's require a taller post for proper stand-up riding than Poo's and A.C's.

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
since this is getting derailed...

Here is my sled w/ post forward 3 1/2". Bars pretty much inline w/ post. It makes a huge difference. It is closer to the angle of dirt bike forks, not as vertical as Cat or Polaris. My sled is super easy to sidehill on hard/setup snow, however still not quite as good as a Pro but makes up for it w/ other handling characteristics that I prefer.

Photo191.jpg

Premium Features