• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pro vs. XM

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I would describe them as "different", rather than one being better than the other. Either will do anything you want if you tailor your riding style to the chassis. The XM definately has the better bump ride.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I'd be surprised if anyone had the '13 Pro and '13 XM in good snow last year. It was really hard for me to find an XM to ride. Looks to me like these might be the best two stock mountain sleds to have. If I only had the coin...I'd have them both.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Agree 100% with winterbrew. I have both 2012 Pro and XP. Had a lot more seat time on the XP and it felt "normal". When I got on the Pro it felt "abnormal". I had to really put the days into the Pro for it to feel "normal" to me. I let a ton of Ski Doo guys ride my Pro too and all said the same thing. Also, I think the Pro is really built for the lighter, dryer snow of ID, MT, CO and WY. It was on the trip to WY that I really started to love the Pro. In WA and BC the heavier snow seems to push the Pro around much more than the XP. As Brew said the trail ride on the Pro is horrible. That sled needs shocks badly.

P

P_Ray3040

Jul 26, 2012
Phelps, Wisconsin
i guess what im asking which one side hills and carves better because i had a 09 summit xp and it seemed like in lower snow conditions it always wanted to go back down on two skis instead of stay in a side hill and u had to fight it alot more the the 2011 assault i have. i no it didnt have the 36" wide ski stance and ive never rode one with them on but i no my assault can side hill and carve super easy. ive just noticed that the new xm has alot of changes just for that reason and wonder if the changes really do work like ski doo says they do

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
if you had to fight the 09 you better ride the xm before spending big bucks.because everybody rides different.stand on the pivot point and a 09 xp will sidehill for miles.

Hurricane Tim

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2009
I have a '12 Pro and a '11 XP, and I never wanted to ride the Doo unless I had to. The Pro is a much funner sled to ride IMO. That said, I traded the '11 XP for an XM, so I hope the XM is better. We shall see.

H

Hitler

Banned
Aug 7, 2012
My Wife has a 2012 Pro and one of my friends had a 2013 XM last spring. I ride a 09 Summit and I can't get the Pro to do what I want it to. I feel like I sit to far forward on the pro. and the suspension just seems to stiff.

When I got on the XM it was like a dream rolled really nice and held the side hill like a dream IMO.

When my wife got back from a ride on the XM she told me that she should have waited a year and got a 2013 XM.

Not much more I can say.

Y

Yamahog

Feb 13, 2011
Washington state
Ah the old debate rages on. Here's my two cents: the pro and the XM are probably the best stock mountain sleds money can buy. As far as either sled is concerned, depending on how you ride it may take longer for you to do what you like to do. I think on these machines, a good rider can do just about anything, just gonna take practice.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
My nephew and son are going to be on XMs. It was a really tough decision as last year they rode XPs and I had a Freeride and a Pro. I test rode the XM and just loved it. Super easy to ride, great power and superb build quality. I bought a Pro for a couple main reasons. One I can ride an XM any time I want so I am not missing out on that and two was the nearly 50lbs lighter that the Pro is. You just can't ignore that especially since I am a bigger guy to start. I give up 50lbs just in body weight to most other riders. I am toying with a full C3 carbon chassis on one of the XMs. Only common sense is holding me back.

W

will

Mar 16, 2008
Calgary
Pro and XM

Toward the end of last season we took a Pro out and the XM and both are very very, user friendly. I've had 4 or 5 Xps the most recent being a 2012 and yes you can side hill it all day in powder but, as the snow gets harder, pounded out, tracked out sticky and challening the rider input has to go up. Unless you're 20 something or a gorila and you're riding in tracked up snow or less than powder it will want to go back down on 2 skis, you have to own it. The XM on the other hand is a peice of cake, pounded snow, hard snow, riding across old tracks, soft snow or on the trail you can keep it on it's side all day and it won't rip your elbows from their sockets. You want to go down a hill part way and turn back up (steep hill) no problem, stick your foot in the side slot pull and turn and you're climbing, that easy. We were very impressed.

I didn't spend as much time on the Pro but it was good as well but my friend really liked it and had a hard time deciding which to purchase but, we both ended up with XMs.

Hands down the XP and XM are like night and day, unless you're a tuff mocho ombre or as my buddy likes to put it, "you like wearing hair shirts" and not admitt defeat go ahead an love the XP, I'll love the XM and my 52 year old arms will be thanking me.

Just sayin , Will

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I have ridden both and the pro works the snow better than the xm. Weight matters I give up 50 pounds to most riders. The belt drive and boards on the pro are what made me snow check one. The xm is just an updated xp this chassis is OLD. Doo needs a new lighter sled there sales Are slipping downhill. Both sleds are great stock machines competing is what brings great changes for consumers.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Nobody has mentioned a thing about setup. Makes a difference on any sled. Someone saying that a Pro suspension is "too stiff" proves that, my bud was limited in his spring snow jumping because his Pro was so soft. Just jumping on a sled that isn't yours or set up and comparing to another that is or isn't isn't a fair comparison. XP sleds are "known" to want to go flat, but I have watched a friend here hang right along with a Pro with a good rider on it, on nasty sidehills. Same XP rider test rode an XM, was very pleased with it and ordered one.
Polaris hit the chassis right on, without having to make funky suspension, bendy tracks, etc., and they are on their third year of it. Why haven't the other manufacturers taken a Pro, and figured out why a "conventional" chassis works so much better in certain situations than others? It is all about the suspension/chassis geometry, and if you take a Pro, tip it up and ride it slowly on a trail or flat area with bumps, watch what the front ski does. It explains a lot of why they like to sidehill so well.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Nobody has mentioned a thing about setup. Makes a difference on any sled. Someone saying that a Pro suspension is "too stiff" proves that, my bud was limited in his spring snow jumping because his Pro was so soft. Just jumping on a sled that isn't yours or set up and comparing to another that is or isn't isn't a fair comparison. XP sleds are "known" to want to go flat, but I have watched a friend here hang right along with a Pro with a good rider on it, on nasty sidehills. Same XP rider test rode an XM, was very pleased with it and ordered one.
Polaris hit the chassis right on, without having to make funky suspension, bendy tracks, etc., and they are on their third year of it. Why haven't the other manufacturers taken a Pro, and figured out why a "conventional" chassis works so much better in certain situations than others? It is all about the suspension/chassis geometry, and if you take a Pro, tip it up and ride it slowly on a trail or flat area with bumps, watch what the front ski does. It explains a lot of why they like to sidehill so well.

Exactly the XM,s track and floppy skid are a attempt to offset the poor balance and rider position for a mountain sled

Last edited:
S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
I had the chance early this spring to put the XM with the Pro, in Mccall. There was about 2 ft. of fresh some what heavey snow, and I will say this. The XM will bring skidoo to the next leavel with the pro. I think BRP has something going with there new sled...

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
Exactly the XM,s track and floppy skid are a attempt to offset the poor balance and rider position for a mountain sled

No they aren't they are an attempt to blend the difference between a 15" wide track and a 16" wide track. You get the benefits of the larger footprint and the benefits of how much easier the narrow track tips over.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
No they aren't they are an attempt to blend the difference between a 15" wide track and a 16" wide track. You get the benefits of the larger footprint and the benefits of how much easier the narrow track tips over.

I had an XP . JMO its poorly balance with too far forward to excel on the mountain. This is why even with same skid and track as other brands they want to go back flat and are more difficult to hold a line than other chassis. The forward XP does excel on the trail due to the weight over the skis.JMO

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
for old people who putt around like they are breast feeding a baby and never get on the throttle,then i agree the poo might lean little easier for those kind of riders.LOL

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
The XM is a good thing, Polaris has had a "free ride" for the last three years with a chassis that excells over the others. Cat obviously couldn't compete, now if the XM can, it will force Polaris to step it up again.
Honestly, a first year XM could be sketchy, but I have more faith in Skidoo to get it right the first time over what Cat came up with.
So, what do you think will be the embarrasing "beaver tail" that XM riders look back on in a few years that didn't make it past the first year of the XM? :)

Premium Features