• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Summit X 163 XM mods

yammyman_1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 10, 2010
Sturgeon County, Alberta
I'm currently and very patiently waiting for my XM 163 " and I am seriously contemplating dropping around $30 G into this sled when all is said and done. It's not my first sled but it is my first brand new sled.

I am Just curious as to what others experiences have been with these products and with Terra Alps racing products, service and warranty.

I talked with Ted today, for about an hour, and let's just say I was quite impressed with what I heard and have seen on the Terra Alps Racing website and you tube.

I live in Edmonton and it's hard to trust someone who only sleds on weekends and spends only a few hours on the hill when they are in the mountains.

I'm 6'5" tall 230 lbs I have been riding (intermediate rider) in the mountains for about 7 seasons. I'm in good shape physically, athletically and mentally. I am also mechanically inclined. Having said that I've yet to jump up with the big dogs when it comes to serious mountain mods.

I am always wanting more HP whatever I'm operating. I love doing drops, jumps, boondocking and the occasional highmark.

I'm looking for some feedback on the on Terra Alps racing and other mods on an etec (the good the bad and the ugly):

860r big bore? arm wrenching HP gains?

high flow y-pipe?

SLP pipe?

modified MBRP can?

thermostat and housing?

dealer warranty with aftermarket big bore kits?

Terra Alps warranty? reliability?

Raptor shocks?

C3 synchro drive? reliability?

TSS aluminum A arms?

RPM composites mountain cut skid plate?

Powder pro skis? which carbides (6" x 60 deg or 4" by 75 deg) ? competition saddle brackets or standard?

Isovibe steering dampner?

509 anti-fog fan module?

LONG LIVE SKI DOO! HAHA!

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
I'm currently and very patiently waiting for my XM 163 " and I am seriously contemplating dropping around $30 G into this sled when all is said and done. It's not my first sled but it is my first brand new sled.

I am Just curious as to what others experiences have been with these products and with Terra Alps racing products, service and warranty.

I talked with Ted today, for about an hour, and let's just say I was quite impressed with what I heard and have seen on the Terra Alps Racing website and you tube.

I live in Edmonton and it's hard to trust someone who only sleds on weekends and spends only a few hours on the hill when they are in the mountains.

I'm 6'5" tall 230 lbs I have been riding (intermediate rider) in the mountains for about 7 seasons. I'm in good shape physically, athletically and mentally. I am also mechanically inclined. Having said that I've yet to jump up with the big dogs when it comes to serious mountain mods.

I am always wanting more HP whatever I'm operating. I love doing drops, jumps, boondocking and the occasional highmark.

I'm looking for some feedback on the on Terra Alps racing and other mods on an Etec (the good the bad and the ugly):

860r big bore? arm wrenching HP gains? Assuming you ordered an E-tec, have not heard any reliable results for power over stock. lots of claims but few results. Probably better off with a turbo

high flow y-pipe? very minor gains, would be better using a complete set up from SLP for example rather then mix and matching.

SLP pipe? When used with their whole package I've heard they work well. On my past 800 XP's carb models their pipe worked well. Have not tried one on a Etec yet.

modified MBRP can? No clue

thermostat and housing? If it helps the Etec stay at proper temps instead of over heat mode then that is a good deal.

dealer warranty with aftermarket big bore kits? I highly doubt your dealer will warranty the motor with big bore or turbo, the rest of the sled sure but motor is now on the you pay to play program.

Terra Alps warranty? reliability? No first hand results, most aftermarket companies have very little warranty if any at all, up to the company.

Raptor shocks? Have heard good things, only have experience with Tom's Evolution Air. Which also works well.

C3 synchro drive? reliability? Again heard good things, no first hand experience. Is it worth the cost for the gains?????

TSS aluminum A arms? The X models have chrome molly lower A arms already?? at least they used to.

RPM composites mountain cut skid plate? Absolutely the best skid plate you van buy. I had one on both my 09 800 Xp 163 for 2 years and then took it off and put it on my 2011 800 E-tec 163. Never even bobbled, ran over who knows haw many rocks logs and stumps. RPM's stuff is bomb proof.

Powder pro skis? which carbides (6" x 60 deg or 4" by 75 deg) ? competition saddle brackets or standard? I have a couple buddies that have them, they love them. I would think the standard bracket would be fine.

Isovibe steering dampener?E-tec barely vibrate as it is. Totally up to you.

509 anti-fog fan module? They work but do cut down on the upper portion of eye sight in the goggle. I personally recommend the Klim F-4 helmet instead, I ride with glasses and that helmet is the by far the best thing I have found that helps eliminate fogging.

LONG LIVE SKI DOO! HAHA!

I would say before you get serious $$$$ tied up in the sled get your clutching dialed in. Clutching is the single most important improvement you can make on a Skidoo.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I have done or ride with just about every mod out there on XPs.
My choice is to keep the engine stock, throw some lightweight parts on and some suspension upgrades (kmod is impressive), clutch for riding style....and just ride!
IMO they run very impressive stock, as reliable as anything and are capable of more than 99% of the riders out there....less money and more fun!

Last edited:
J

jasonrev

Jan 28, 2008
Burns Lake B.C.
I am looking at buying a new one this year and I personally will leave it alone. However if I had the coin to sink into it I would keep it pretty simple like an slp pipe and synchro drive. With you being from Alberta i would due your homework on any shop you plan to deal with. I've seem lots of albertans come out this way with sub par running sleds that they have spent way to much money on. If I had 30 grand to spend I think the nicest accessory to your sled would be a can am Side by side or quad.

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Dude I like your style, ready to drop some serious coin on your sled. I would second what Winterbrew said about going light weight, although what I am suggesting is way more extreme than he is probably thinking. The ETEC is just a great running engine and hard to get any real gains without going to a turbo. I highly recommend the SLP full y-pipe, pipe, can. It is about 15lbs lighter, not loud on the bottom but much better sounding on the top. Seemed to add some power by seat of the pants feel but it didn't change my clutching at all so it can't be much. I am also getting any XM and I am thinking about getting the C3 carbon fiber chassis. With that, a hood/headlight delete, fox shocks, ti suspension front and rear, ti bolts, SLP pipe/can and a few other small things I bet you could lose nearly 100lbs and you would be well within your budget. A ready to ride weight off less than 450lbs with the XM handling mods and ETEC power would just be amazing. Only thing really holding me back is that I have been trading in my sleds each year for new and that is just a huge loser if you mod your sled.

S

scrfce

Oct 10, 2009
bc
i may be totally outta line because ive never run any of terras products and dont wanna bash were some guys have had good luck buuut i have heard some serious customer service probs w them,,,,just a heads up to a fellow sledder,,,nothn worse than bein jacked for a season and it gets held up or ruined by somethin/somebody thats outta ur hands,,do ALOT of research,,,

yammyman_1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 10, 2010
Sturgeon County, Alberta
I appreciate everyone's honesty.

I will be riding the sled bone stock (except for a wrap kit) for the break in period and possibly even the whole season. I know from past experience that it's nice to know what your sled can do first, then make adjustments.

I had an 07 XRS 162 2.313" and it would do very well against my brothers 08 xp 163 2.5". It was an awesome sled. We had it dialed in with simple clutching, an MBRP can and ceramic coated pipe and y pipe. Also got rid of the original 159 Camoplast "trencher" and put on the "extreme" 162 ". It worked very well. He had simple yet very effetive mods done as well. Clutching, exhaust, track and a few others.

I know I'm from Alberta but I consider myself a pretty smart and mechanically inclined person (I am a heavy equipment tech and a crane operator.) Hence the extensive research 4 months in advance. The only thing I've purchased is the c3 synchro drive (seems like a no brainer with very good reviews for a decent price) and the wrap kit (protect the plastics and makes it an original).

I really want to know more about the products I mentioned specifically, anything comparable and the vendor (Terra Alps) more then anything. I would like to know others experiences with a similar set up.

Just to be clear I plan on dropping $30 max including the sled. Not in parts alone. So technically $15 or $16G. Maybe just a can and clutching if necessary.

Anyway I know I'll be head over heels with this sled just the way it is. I rented a 154" last year for a weekend and I found that the only thing I was really missing was my 162" track and maybe a little more crackle out of the exhaust.

ON A SIDE NOTE:
(I must say I've posted this thread on dootalk, snowest and snow and mud and i am impressed with the responses I've gotten and really appreciate people taking the time to help me out.

Like I said I'm a smart dude. Out of the mountains and in the mountains. My brother and I ride together 99% of the time and we would like to meet new like minded riders. We are great boondockers, deep powder riders who only stop to eat, piss and drink (not booze). We ride till were beat and wouldn't have it any other way. We do the odd pull but mostly stick to the trees, anything deep and drop off a 40 foot cornice one in awhile. We take avalanche courses in class and in field.

I now work 20 and 10 and will have more time to ride places like sicamous, golden, revy, kelowna area and such.

If anyone is like minded and doesn't mind showing us some new areas please let me know. We usually ride Blue River, Valemount and McBride.

I'm excited about the new ride.

I'm even booking riding camps at Burandts Backcountry Adventures and Carl Kuster mountain Park. Possibly this season but likely next.

Let me know if you're interested.)

Looking forward t getting to know some new faces and new riding areas.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
The only things your listed that i have used are the SLP full y-pipe, pipe and can set up(which I already talked about) and the 509 goggles and fan thingy. I love the yellow lens Aviators but i am going to buy the new Sinister and try it too. Vision is so important to any motorsport but add the flat light we ride in and it's even more important. The fan does help keep the fogging down, especially when you are digging out but the most important anti fog is your conditioning. To be clear it helps but it's not fool proof and the noise is annoying when your engine is off. I get a chance to ride with some pros and they never fog up and seem to never even take their helmets and goggles off. One thing I REALLY like about 509 is the spare lenses are cheap so I can pack what ever kind of lense is not in the goggle and switch to it when the conditions change. The other tactic that works awesome is some kind of underhood bag that heats up your goggles and dries them out. I ride until they are soaked and them switch our for a warm, dry clean pair in the underhood back. We will see if the XM goggle warmers gets hot enough to dry out soaked goggles.

soul!

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2008
vancouver island
i think you should add the 3 inch 154 track
i hear it is coming soon
in fact i have heard its coming soon for a long time
when it comes out top gun 2 should be released and we all will be awaiting topgun 3

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Btw, I have heard that Kuster is an amazing rider. My local dealer went to his place to test ride the XM and they were just blown away by the lines he was taking. Riding in places that were unrideable to quote them. The dealer in question is a great rider too so for him to be impressed Kuster must be at another level.

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
I personally would be spending my money at Racers Edge, TSS and Boost-It. These guys have their chit worked out on these sleds !!

K

Kibbels

Dec 8, 2007
Red Deer, AB
I personally would be spending my money at Racers Edge, TSS and Boost-It. These guys have their chit worked out on these sleds !!

I second that 100%... TSS is top notch with Boostit and can't go wrong with Racers Edge in my opinion. And like Duke said they have their Chit workin.

P

PowderProject

Nov 26, 2007
Wyoming

I'm looking for some feedback on the on Terra Alps racing and other mods on an etec (the good the bad and the ugly):

860r big bore? arm wrenching HP gains?

high flow y-pipe?

SLP pipe?

modified MBRP can?

thermostat and housing?

dealer warranty with aftermarket big bore kits?

Terra Alps warranty? reliability?

Raptor shocks?

C3 synchro drive? reliability?

TSS aluminum A arms?

RPM composites mountain cut skid plate?

Powder pro skis? which carbides (6" x 60 deg or 4" by 75 deg) ? competition saddle brackets or standard?

Isovibe steering dampner?

509 anti-fog fan module?

LONG LIVE SKI DOO! HAHA!

Pull the cord...and ride it...you won't need to do anything to this sled. It is hands down the best sled (stocker for that matter) I have ever been on. Spend your money on chasing the pow! Keep it stock and rip it up! You won't be dissapointed!:rockon:

Premium Features