• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone out there make a drastic career change?

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
I just got done posting on a "first job" thread and it got me thinking. I have been pondering kind of starting over for the last year or so, and was wondering if any snowesters have done it. I have a decent career now, but I wouldn't say it is very satisfying. As I have gotten older a lot of my priorities have changed and it would be nice to stay closer to home and do something that makes me feel good at the end of the day. I am far from naive, and realize that I need to make money too, but I would take a pay cut if my job was a little more "life enriching". So...anybody make the jump?

R

RMK7SledHead

Oct 20, 2001
I made a pretty drastic career change: Went from being a civilian sitting behind a desk 8-9 hrs/day designing/building an airplane (4 years doing this), to being in the USMC flying jets for a living.

I was comfortable at my old job, but didn't make good money ($45k as an engineer is not good money) and had $100k in student loan debt (not to mention CC debt on top of it). I had a roommate who was a go-getter and was always bettering himself and making things happen in his life...he told me about his "rocking chair" test; when you're 80 sitting in your rocking chair and you look back on your life, what will you regret NOT doing? So, I looked into it and found out I was a pretty good fit for the Marines and made my move.

That was August of 2008. August of 2011 I flew a $28million tactical jet solo for the first time. I always felt pretty accomplished in my old job and like I contributed a lot...it was NOTHING compared to what I do now. The sense of accomplishment is 100 fold.

All told, my move was for the better. Awesome job, the pay is much better (when including all the benefits, etc), they're paying down a large chunk of my student loan, my wife and I are 100% cc debt free, and oh ya, I met my wife because of the change!

Drawbacks: I study/work 10 times harder then I ever did in HS or college, I have life stress unlike any I've ever felt before, I haven't snowmobiled or hunted in 3 years, and I live 1300 miles from my wife, for the foreseeable future...

and all that is washed away when the engine lights-off on startup...

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
You and your roommate sound a lot like my little brother. He was a sniper in the Marine Corps, went to Iraq, got back and got his college degree in Construction Engineering Technology. He graduated near the top of his class. He spent about 2 years in civilian life and decided he needed "more" out of his life. Long story short he is now a Pararescue Jumper in the Air Force. I couldn't be prouder as a brother. I would probably be lying if I said I didn't compare my life to his. He loves where he is at now, but boy did he have to make some huge sacrifices to get there. Thank you for your input...and your service.

T
Dec 25, 2007
Sorry, but this makes me laugh a wee bit because two days ago I read this exact sentence in a psychiatry text book, "At approximately 30yrs of age, there is a period of reappraisal of one's life..." Sounds like you are there? All I can say is, do what makes you happy, allows you to retire early or work part time when you get 'of age,' and fight like mad to make work the second best part of life. There should always be something better. Just my 2c.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
well is it a career change if i was a female hooker and had a sex change and now i am a male hooker...??...i mean it was pretty drastic...lol..

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So...anybody make the jump?

HECK YA I DID.

SEVERAL TIMES!!

Life is too short to do just one thing...
Never be afraid to reinvent yourself.
But always, FOLLOW YOUR PASSION.
Do what you love, and you will love what you do!

1st Career
Combat Medic, 82nd Airborne.

2nd Career
Computer sales and assembly

3rd Career
Hyperbaric Software & SCUBA Manufacturing

4th Career
Performance Boat Manufacturing

5th and current Career.
Publishing and Forum Admin

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Left the farm for school,
diesel mechanic,
welder
car sales
marine shop service writer
road const
welder
car sales
millwright
maint mgr
petro truck tech
marine sales (millwright work on side)

keep the mindset that change is easy

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
every 10 years..................I get bored and need a challenge so I just pick a new state and new career that interests me and take a blind jump, rise to the top and do it again

all I can say is if you dont like your job just do it........................

B

blackhillsnytro

Nov 22, 2008
Spearfish SD
Next Wed. I'm done at a my currrent job of powersports sales, been seven years. Making a jump in to something I should have done a long time ago, and going into business for myself. Haven't been this nervous in a long time, but I have a supportive group of friends and family so that helps out. I can already tell I will be a lot happier at the end of every day, the new career is something I enjoy and am excited about...everyone tells me make the jump before its too late, and you look back regretting you didn't do it sooner....

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Getting ready to make a pretty big jump. Been working for the Mo-In-Law for 10 years doing Project Controls and General Contracting. We all know construction has pretty much tanked, so it's basically stuck behind a desk 9-5, Monday through Friday for me. Have it pretty good as far as benefits are concerned, $60K+ a year, 4 weeks time off, boss that likes to 'close up shop' to golf a lot. It's just not a career that motivates me anymore except for the paycheck.
Put in my application for the local PD and will hopefully test in the next few weeks. Been on a lot of rides with my buddy that is a patrol officer and even on super slow nights, there is just the anticipation that you will be into something exciting. Going to take a HUUUGE paycut, but I can still manage by getting rid of some non-essentials if needs be. I just want to try something else while time permits, and actually enjoy going to work for once. I have spent a ton of time on the forums this summer. Not because the topics are that great, but it's time I don't have to spend thinking about sitting in this hole all day.

racer

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Heavy equipment operator/ foreman
auto body repair/ collision/ customs or anything in between.
auto sales
Masonry
finish carpenter
Welder
Theres a few more and went back and forth, I left WA a few years back and opened a body shop and (small time) used car dealership. Not my first pic but it pays what I need and its up to me on how much. As in how much effort I put into it.

Next, Full pay and benefits to snowmobile, anyone got any suggestions.

S

shawn2820

Dec 26, 2009
Arthur Nebraska
Me im fine where im at, No i dont make much, but enough to get by. I go by the saying if you love what you do you never work a day in your life and i definately love what i do. I was away from it for a while and worked in a tractor supply store and i knew then there was only one thing i wanted to do. So that is what i am doing and will probably do it till i die.

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
waiting on the phone call.

Getting off this tug boat and into marine const on a rig as a deck engineer and eventually an operator. I want my life back. Its not about the money anymore I have all my toys.

Living on a tug for the last 12 years. The kids were 5-6 when i started here now there all grown up and out. Time spent with them.... ummm a couple years.

I just want my life back.

Better hurry Dave.......

I haven't worked an 8 hr day or went home after a single days work in about 11 yrs.

I got my masters lic after my first 4 years and been running boats since.

Last edited:

machinest660

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2008
Saskatchewan Canada
I worked a full time machinest for 6 years, i pretty much worked my way up as high as i would go as far as machinest went, i had a 45 mile comute to work every day, I quite and went farming full time witch is what i always wanted to do. The money is not as good but i am way happier witch is worth every penny in my books, For the winter months i have just being working construction and other odd jobs that pop up. I really like the variety now as every day is something different. Good luck on whatever you choose. :face-icon-small-hap

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
waiting on the phone call.

Getting off this tug boat and into marine const on a rig as a deck engineer and eventually an operator. I want my life back. Its not about the money anymore I have all my toys.

Living on a tug for the last 12 years. The kids were 5-6 when i started here now there all grown up and out. Time spent with them.... ummm a couple years.

I just want my life back.

Better hurry Dave.......

I haven't worked an 8 hr day or went home after a single days work in about 11 yrs.

I got my masters lic after my first 4 years and been running boats since.

WTF??? You better wait up Cap...

Premium Features