• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

No fire

C
Apr 15, 2008
shingletown,ca
Got no fire on both cylinders,tried fresh plugs but no fire.Motor was starting to bog and miss when you stab the throttle but would clear up and run fine,when I say bog I mean like it would run rich,could really smell rich exhaust,during the same ride the gauge display would come off then on,eventually we stopped to take a brake and it would not restart.Imediately checked for fire to the plugs and nothing on both cylinders.I tested the stator earlier this year and it checked ok.I am wondering if the voltage regulator is toasted.Any ideas would be appreciated.

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
if you tested the stator earlier this year it may be bad now. Could be a short in your kill switch or wires to the key too. check all the wires for shorts first.

S
Oct 3, 2008
Quebec, Canada
I just had a similar problem with mine on the weekend and it turned out to be the stator due to separation of the flywheel. I checked the stator a week ago prior to going on a trip and everything tested fine. My problem was with the blue-yellow, blue-green, blue-red wires 15 ohm wires...one of them was open due to an open stator coil. Luckily I found a used stator and flywheel and had her back on the trails within a few hours.

C
Apr 15, 2008
shingletown,ca
I disconnected kill switch,grip warmers and key switch,I dont know if you can get fire with key switch disconnected.The reason I wasleaning towards voltage regulator was it was loose for awhile before I checked the stator earlier,thought it might be banging around and broke internally,I would think that I would get some sort of power out of the stator wether it be the dc side or ac side.Does anyone know on a runnig 900 if you pull it over if the headlights or gauges light up a little while hand cranking like my 02 800 rmk does?Thanks for any info

C
Apr 15, 2008
shingletown,ca
won't light during hand cranking...

I know that sounded kinda funny,when I crank on my 02 800 rmk the head light slightly lights up because you are turning the engine over enough to produce enough voltage to light the headlight,therefore what I was getting at was if 900 did the same thing.Basically trying to see if it is producing any voltage when hand cranked.

S
Oct 3, 2008
Quebec, Canada
Didn't sound funny at all...I knew exactly what you meant. The reason it won't work on this sled is that there is a relay that needs to be energized to allow power to be applied to things other than the ignition circuit. The relay isn't energized until after the sled starts; therefore, no lights when hand cranking...

If you have no spark on either cylinder then I would test the stator (even if you recently tested as in my case within a week it went from testing perfect to not so perfect and needing replacement).

Because you have no spark on either cylinder I would tend to believe that it's not a coil problem as it seems strange that both coils would fail at the same time (although stranger things could happen).

You can test the capacitor (although I don't think it does much to prevent you from getting spark).

Last edited:
J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Last edited:
C
Apr 15, 2008
shingletown,ca
no fire update

Wel I pulled the tank last night and tested the stator.Everything tested good except for the charge coil side.Since this produces power for the ignition coils I would say that the stator is toast.I also found one the three small orange wires coming out of the voltage regulator and into the left side plug on the ecu rubbing on the tunnel.Is it possible that ecu could have been damaged from this orange wire short?Or for that matter the voltage regulator as well?Thanks for any replies.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
i would replace the stator first, cover the chaffed wires from the VR that were rubbing...you can also move the tank bolts back slightly...this will prevent the tank from smashing the wires...

hopefully nothing fried out but the stator..but if you need an ECU or VR i have some extras i could sell you..(but only have an ECU for the 05, not 06)

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
i dont personally, but i know a few people who had great success with their rebuilds...thats al they do, and they also warranty their work...

if i ever blow a stator, they are my first choice!

S
Oct 3, 2008
Quebec, Canada
Unless I've got my facts wrong... at 218 (Babbitts, PolarisPartsHouse, etc...)for a new stator vice the 150 for a rebuild why wouldn't someone just invest the extra 68 for the piece of mind? New wire harness as well I'm assuming (although I don't know that the rebuilt doesn't address this). The delta between the rebuild and new is about the price of a jug of oil and less than a belt.

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
i would replace the stator first, cover the chaffed wires from the VR that were rubbing...you can also move the tank bolts back slightly...this will prevent the tank from smashing the wires...

hopefully nothing fried out but the stator..but if you need an ECU or VR i have some extras i could sell you..(but only have an ECU for the 05, not 06)

Man, I feel like a real dumbazz, everytime I take that stupid thing off and put it back on I basically have to tie a strap around it and pull it tight enough to get the bolts through..... and then someone turns the :light: on with a statement like that.

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Man, I feel like a real dumbazz, everytime I take that stupid thing off and put it back on I basically have to tie a strap around it and pull it tight enough to get the bolts through..... and then someone turns the :light: on with a statement like that.

Yah, somebody else made that same statement right after I fought mine for an hour to get it back on.:face-icon-small-dis

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Unless I've got my facts wrong... at 218 (Babbitts, PolarisPartsHouse, etc...)for a new stator vice the 150 for a rebuild why wouldn't someone just invest the extra 68 for the piece of mind? New wire harness as well I'm assuming (although I don't know that the rebuilt doesn't address this). The delta between the rebuild and new is about the price of a jug of oil and less than a belt.

I think RMstator charges $150 or so to rebuild...they also have a warranty..polaris does not..

They wrap the coil windings tighter which provides a much steadier output...and rebuild the charge coils extra...well worth it IMO ;)

Premium Features