• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

87 plus some 104 octane boost with SLP Pipe?

Y
Dec 14, 2007
Probably a stupid question but I have an SLP pipe coming for my M8 and am wondering if after installing it if I threw in some octane boost and took it easy if I should worry about the 4-5 mile ride to the gas station on the trail? It's pretty low on gas and would be easier to do that and drive to the station for 93 then to go fill up gas cans. If it's no big deal i'll do it, otherwise I guess it will be a trip to the gas station just to fill up cans to dump in. I just figure a bottle of super 104 in the few gallons of gas will probably make it fine to run to the station? This is at 1000'.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
just gotta remember octane boost doesnt boost octane full octane points, as most see them. 87 octane with a booster that boosts say 4 points, is not 91 octane. it is 87.4 octane.

if you only have to go a few miles to top off, just burp the throttle all the way to the station, braaap braaap braaap. help get more fuel to it.

try to avoid to run it in the mid range, that is where they are the leanest also, operate well above or below where the powervalves open, that is where the laydown motors are the leanest.

keep us posted on your clutching and how the pipe works, i am contemplating getting this set up at some point. but i know i want to run the fuel pressure regulator to boost the fuel to make it safer. so that is an added cost to the upgrade but, better safe, than installing a new top end.

ski

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
most octane boost doesn't really increase the octane of the fuel....it just retards the burn rate of the fuel to try and prevent detonation....with just an slp pipe, there shouldn't be any need for more octane in your fuel, unless you also add more compression via a head....i've run mine with no problems on mid-grade fuel, but i ride 7-11k....

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
I had a full tank of 87 when i installed my pipe and SLP said to add a bottle of Lucas Octane Booster and I would be good to go. That was last year and everything worked out just fine.

R
Mar 25, 2009
Palmer,AK.
Never ceases to amaze me how little some people understand about octane.

Slowing the burn rate and keeping away detonation is the exact thing you are trying to achieve there.

And increasing the compression is not the only thing that can create the need for higher octane in a 2-stroke. Adding a pipe is another perfect example.

Think there is a reason SLP specs. 90-91 for the pipe and not 87? Yep.

Under a load is when detonation will happen. Stay off the throttle until you get some good fuel in it. Limp it to the station under light throttle and then run it a good mile or so before getting on it. You will be fine.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2007
Never ceases to amaze me how little some people understand about octane.

Slowing the burn rate and keeping away detonation is the exact thing you are trying to achieve there.

And increasing the compression is not the only thing that can create the need for higher octane in a 2-stroke. Adding a pipe is another perfect example.

Think there is a reason SLP specs. 90-91 for the pipe and not 87? Yep.

HEHE Your Not being very nice:D Have you been Drinking???Or you mad cause thers no snow...

Last edited:
Premium Features