• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocker Sidekick Turbo: Anyone running one??

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Buddy that works at the dealership will be riding a Doondocker kit this year on his demo, he is an ambassador. We will see how that works. I already told him that I will not tow him out.

Doondocker.
I like it.

They are rather big on riding at the Saint Anthony Dunes!!:face-icon-small-hap

2014xm

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
I’ve had my sidekick on my 850 for about 700 Miles now and runs awesome. I have a SHR clutch kit in it this year to see if there is a difference. No problems with the kit it’s self and runs crisp

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Care to offer your opinions of three turbo systems you have had the opportunity to play with on the 850s thus far??

MPI- good power, low end a little chubby, proper clutching/gearing helps a lot, 8 hour + install, $4295 (with SHR clutching)

Silber- decent power (less than MPI, nit picking), clean bottom end/drive off!!, proper clutching/gearing also help areas that need help, 3 hour install or less, reasonably priced at $3995 (with SHR clutching)

boondocker- limited time on it BUT have a good customer/SHR tuner who had one last year- better bottom end than MPI, peak power similar or better (nit picking), proper clutching/gearing also help, 3 hour install, priced same as MPI

* clutching/gearing from turbo guys has always been "just enough to get on the hill" WE can fix most issues (over rev, lazy bottom ends, back shift) with our clutch kit.

* we have a SHR921/MPI ready for snow too :face-icon-small-coo-BJ

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
* clutching/gearing from turbo guys has always been "just enough to get on the hill" WE can fix most issues (over rev, lazy bottom ends, back shift) with our clutch kit.

Thats a really interesting observation and one that I think is ALL TOO TRUE.
Clutching, which is more than a little bit important always kinda seems to be a 2nd thought on the Turbo Kits, where you would think it would be much higher up on the priority list.

T
Aug 8, 2011
Yes, the first company to step up and really put together a proper complete setup with their kit would really open up the market to more people. The amount of performance and fun left in my sidekick between “as shipped and “as I have it setup” is astounding

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
The MPI runs great when it runs. I have the clutching SHR provided when I bought the kit from him. It definitely is slow off the bottom end but I don't find that a problem if you know how to ride it. My problem was more people not knowing the problem or just working through their initial design flaws. I just laugh when a lot of Nancy's on here say their turbo kit is pull and go. That's cool if you ride ten times a season and pull a couple huge bowls to show off to yours friends. I ride around 50 times a year and abuse the hell out of my stuff. A "pull and go" should hold up to this. For as much as Silber claims theirs is the best on here they have WAY more people complaining on this forum than anyone about MPI. And as for Randy saying BoonDocker is the greatest they delivered about 4 kits in April :face-icon-small-dis They have by far the least amount of snow time and I've never even seen a kit in person. We will see after this season and hopefully I get to ride with some of these guys. I know Jenkins is going to be running the sidekick so we will see how his compares to my MPI.

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
Yes, the first company to step up and really put together a proper complete setup with their kit would really open up the market to more people. The amount of performance and fun left in my sidekick between “as shipped and “as I have it setup” is astounding

I think SHR is the one who provides a "proper complete setup" he is just the middle man instead of getting it right from the source. However, majority of the time you have a local dealer that represents that product. Not all Boondockers kits are sold from their website. People buy kits at a dealer price (multiple kits making them a dealer) and sell them locally for a profit. Essentially that is what Big John is. He is a dealer for all the kits stated.

Why should turbo companies be any different than the manufacture of the sleds though? Manufacturers sell the sled to the customer with clutching that is likely going to work for your situation. If you want the best performance, well, as it currently is they can't necessarily or easily set that up for you. That is why there are aftermarket clutch kits.

Turbo makers are no different really. Maybe they sell clutching that doesn't work the best, but I would guess it still works. It isn't easy providing something that everyone will like especially with so many different conditions. Someone already stated they would jump on a guys sled that the guy says "runs amazing" yet that someone who jumps on it will find something he doesn't like.

Eric Woog (Vohk) just released a long video saying how every sled that leaves his shop, for the most part, is different than the rest. Why is it different? It is because when setting it up they listen to how the owner of the sled wants it. So many variables come into play. Heavy into installing boondockers on Polaris sleds, Vohk is also a dealer for boondocker I imagine.

Last edited:

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I think SHR is the one who provides a "proper complete setup" he is just the middle man instead of getting it right from the source. However, majority of the time you have a local dealer that represents that product. Not all Boondockers kits are sold from their website. People buy kits at a dealer price (multiple kits making them a dealer) and sell them locally for a profit. Essentially that is what Big John is. He is a dealer for all the kits stated.

Why should turbo companies be any different than the manufacture of the sleds though? Manufacturers sell the sled to the customer with clutching that is likely going to work for your situation. If you want the best performance, well, as it currently is they can't necessarily or easily set that up for you. That is why there are aftermarket clutch kits.

Turbo makers are no different really. Maybe they sell clutching that doesn't work the best, but I would guess it still works. It isn't easy providing something that everyone will like especially with so many different conditions. Someone already stated they would jump on a guys sled that the guy says "runs amazing" yet that someone who jumps on it will find something he doesn't like.

Eric Woog (Vohk) just released a long video saying how every sled that leaves his shop, for the most part, is different than the rest. Why is it different? It is because when setting it up they listen to how the owner of the sled wants it. So many variables come into play. Heavy into installing boondockers on Polaris sleds, Vohk is also a dealer for boondocker I imagine.

Thank you Captain Obvious... Your work is done here... :cheer2:

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Thank you Captain Obvious... Your work is done here... :cheer2:

Lol.

Only thing I'd like to point out is Snowest should put a sponsored list like every other media outlet (example... www.vitalmx.com - note the right hand side)

This way we know why Christopher is drumming up comments on the Sidekick (hint, BD is an advertiser)

Its a great kit, and if it didn't work you'd hear about it! (and I say that with obvious affiliations elsewhere.)

I just wish we could all start being honest with who has relationships where and why we might respond as such. Everyone is basically a rep or a wannabeproguy here with industry ties.

In other forms of social media, the FTC has actually mandated you show something is "sponsored" when there are dollars coming.

Just my $0.02.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Lol.

Only thing I'd like to point out is Snowest should put a sponsored list like every other media outlet (example... www.vitalmx.com - note the right hand side)

This way we know why Christopher is drumming up comments on the Sidekick (hint, BD is an advertiser).

NEWSFLASH.
I don't work for SnoWest.
They don't pay me.

I don't work for Boondocker.
I have NO affiliation or relationship with them WHATSOEVER.
Not business, not personal.

NONE, NADA, ZIP.

For that matter, I Have never had any business or personal dealings with them either.

Stop looking for conspiracies where there aren't any.

Last edited:
J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
NEWSFLASH.
I don't work for SnoWest.
They don't pay me.

I don't work for Boondocker.
I have NO affiliation or relationship with them WHATSOEVER.
NONE, NADA, ZIP.

Have never had any business or personal dealings with them either.

Where did I say you are paid by Snowest? I implied you are affiliated, you do help out right? I'm pretty sure your email is listed as Christopher@snowest.com. BD advertises on the site. So there seemed a connection as to why you are so interested in the Sidekick (just like you ran an MPI a few years back, when they were advertising). Maybe I'm wrong there, but the point is, I'm guessing as to something I shouldn't have to guess on. There is nothing wrong with this thread, BD advertising/not advertising, or their kit; just the lack of transparency. BD makes awesome stuff, as I posted above, you'd hear a ton of negative on the kit if it sucks. Heck, if BD had a reputation of making bad product they'd have been done a long long time ago!

The bigger point in my post was to ask Snowest to disclose who is an advertiser of the site, just for transparency (again, like Vital does!). This way, its understood why certain companies are allowed to post PRs in the forum, or sell stuff in the forum, and why maybe you'll see threads like this started by those affiliated with the magazine. It'd just make it cleaner!

As far as posters go, I too think people with affiliations should disclose them. That way people understand why someone might be bias, as a lot of the silly arguments come down to these biases, not the reality we live in (there are so many awesome products out there!)

If you have an affiliation, a deal, an ambassadorship, you absolutely speak of product a different way. Nothing wrong with parading your stuff, but people should know there are biases that are deeper than "I just like snowmobiling". (not saying you or anyone is "parading" in this thread, just saying its in the same vein)

Here, I'll start. My name is Jeff Brines. I run a small consulting business on the side where I help a few aftermarket snowmobile companies, namely Silber and Tom's. I'll be adding one more in the near future (website not done yet!)

Anyway - all that aside, I'm sure you'll be happy if you pickup a sidekick. I've been around a few. They run great. There is only one other kit that runs well too ;) (and its not MPI)

And to the poster asking about tunnel dump, I'll let other experts chime in but I'm pretty sure that's only a polaris thing (semi-ironically)

EDIT: Wouldn't a normal non-advertiser thread get moved to the turbo specific forum?
EDIT 2: So there are two Christophers? You and the Christopher@snowest.com guy?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Where did I say you are paid by Snowest? I implied you are affiliated, you do help out right? I'm pretty sure your email is listed as Christopher@snowest.com. BD advertises on the site. So there seemed a connection as to why you are so interested in the Sidekick (just like you ran an MPI a few years back, when they were advertising). Maybe I'm wrong there, but the point is, I'm guessing as to something I shouldn't have to guess on. There is nothing wrong with this thread, BD advertising/not advertising, or their kit; just the lack of transparency. BD makes awesome stuff, as I posted above, you'd hear a ton of negative on the kit if it sucks. Heck, if BD had a reputation of making bad product they'd have been done a long long time ago!

The bigger point in my post was to ask Snowest to disclose who is an advertiser of the site, just for transparency (again, like Vital does!). This way, its understood why certain companies are allowed to post PRs in the forum, or sell stuff in the forum, and why maybe you'll see threads like this started by those affiliated with the magazine. It'd just make it cleaner!

As far as posters go, I too think people with affiliations should disclose them. That way people understand why someone might be bias, as a lot of the silly arguments come down to these biases, not the reality we live in (there are so many awesome products out there!)

If you have an affiliation, a deal, an ambassadorship, you absolutely speak of product a different way. Nothing wrong with parading your stuff, but people should know there are biases that are deeper than "I just like snowmobiling". (not saying you or anyone is "parading" in this thread, just saying its in the same vein)

Here, I'll start. My name is Jeff Brines. I run a small consulting business on the side where I help a few aftermarket snowmobile companies, namely Silber and Tom's. I'll be adding one more in the near future (website not done yet!)

Anyway - all that aside, I'm sure you'll be happy if you pickup a sidekick. I've been around a few. They run great. There is only one other kit that runs well too ;) (and its not MPI)

And to the poster asking about tunnel dump, I'll let other experts chime in but I'm pretty sure that's only a polaris thing (semi-ironically)

EDIT: Wouldn't a normal non-advertiser thread get moved to the turbo specific forum?
EDIT 2: So there are two Christophers? You and the Christopher@snowest.com guy?

Splitting hairs here, but just to be clear.

Harris Publications Owns "Snowest" magazine and "Snowest.com" and all of the content contained in the SnoWest forums.

I own Snowestonline, and my e-mail is "Christopher@snowestonline.com"

I own and operate (manage) the SnoWest forums on behalf of Harris Publishing, but am not an employee or contractor for them. ALL of the advertising you see on this forum is placed by them at their sole discretion. You will notice the ads only appear along the outside boarder of the forums, rather than in the forums or between posts. That is because there are two entirely separate software platforms operating side by side.

As for the location of this discussion.
Ya, I suppose it would be equally at home in the Turbo forum, but I felt it more specific to the Gen 4 sled than to "turbo" content. But that was just a personal call on my part. Its neither right nor wrong.

As for Harris Publishing disclosing their advertiser list.
I might be wrong on this, but I am pretty sure they publish that list in each edition of the magazine.. All you have to do is go look, I think...

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Splitting hairs here, but just to be clear.

Harris Publications Owns "Snowest" magazine and "Snowest.com" and all of the content contained in the SnoWest forums.

I own Snowestonline, and my e-mail is "Christopher@snowestonline.com"

I own and operate (manage) the SnoWest forums on behalf of Harris Publishing, but am not an employee or contractor for them. ALL of the advertising you see on this forum is placed by them at their sole discretion. You will notice the ads only appear along the outside boarder of the forums, rather than in the forums or between posts. That is because there are two entirely separate software platforms operating side by side.

As for the location of this discussion.
Ya, I suppose it would be equally at home in the Turbo forum, but I felt it more specific to the Gen 4 sled than to "turbo" content. But that was just a personal call on my part. Its neither right nor wrong.

As for Harris Publishing disclosing their advertiser list.
I might be wrong on this, but I am pretty sure they publish that list in each edition of the magazine.. All you have to do is go look, I think...

Thanks dude! I appreciate you telling us this!

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I have no affiliation with any company who makes anything for snowmobiles. I do know the construction company that sponsors me pays me more than Chris Burandt will ever make in his life though so I can afford whatever I want. I'd still take free stuff though if Silber, BoonDocker or MPI wanted to sponsor me :face-icon-small-coo

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
The MPI runs great when it runs. I have the clutching SHR provided when I bought the kit from him. It definitely is slow off the bottom end but I don't find that a problem if you know how to ride it. My problem was more people not knowing the problem or just working through their initial design flaws. I just laugh when a lot of Nancy's on here say their turbo kit is pull and go. That's cool if you ride ten times a season and pull a couple huge bowls to show off to yours friends. I ride around 50 times a year and abuse the hell out of my stuff. A "pull and go" should hold up to this. For as much as Silber claims theirs is the best on here they have WAY more people complaining on this forum than anyone about MPI. And as for Randy saying BoonDocker is the greatest they delivered about 4 kits in April :face-icon-small-dis They have by far the least amount of snow time and I've never even seen a kit in person. We will see after this season and hopefully I get to ride with some of these guys. I know Jenkins is going to be running the sidekick so we will see how his compares to my MPI.

Hey Chadly
the kit you have is it from 2017 or last year?

we have made several improvements since 2017-BJ

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
I have no affiliation with any company who makes anything for snowmobiles. I do know the construction company that sponsors me pays me more than Chris Burandt will ever make in his life though so I can afford whatever I want. I'd still take free stuff though if Silber, BoonDocker or MPI wanted to sponsor me :face-icon-small-coo

Are you a politician?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
Is the sidekick still a tunnel dump on the Gen4 ?
And how loud is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exits stock location.

One point not mentioned is the Boondocker silencer is separate from the turbo. You can service your chain case without removing the whole turbo assembly.

As for how loud? No louder than a trail can. None of them would be considered loud IMO.

Premium Features