• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris Ultimate Shovel Bag

powkat

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2016
In the market for a new tunnel bag and have been looking at Polaris' new "Ultimate Shovel" bag. I really like the idea of getting as much stuff out of my pack as possible but are there any major safety issues with carrying my shovel on the tunnel instead of my pack when it comes to avalanche safety? Anyone else carry their shovel on the tunnel?

pinko

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wembley, AB
In the market for a new tunnel bag and have been looking at Polaris' new "Ultimate Shovel" bag. I really like the idea of getting as much stuff out of my pack as possible but are there any major safety issues with carrying my shovel on the tunnel instead of my pack when it comes to avalanche safety? Anyone else carry their shovel on the tunnel?

Always carry your shovel on your person. If your shovel is on the sled it's no good to you when it's 5ft under snow. Not a bad idea to carry a shovel on both. Also anything you may need in an emergency situation should be in your backpack

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
As stated above, shovel on your back for Avy rescue, shovel on your sled for digging your sled out.

X3!!

Shovel and probes on your back and a spare shovel on your sled!!!

The shovel on my back is typically only for emergencies and the one on my sled is the primary shovel used. Also having two shovels is just basic extra insurance in many ways!! Avalanche snow is like cement and you will find out very quickly if you have a good shovel or not!! So having a back up is not necessarily for you but it might be for your buddy who chose to buy the Walmart special shovel!!

Also, just so you know..... I currently have the "large" Polaris adventure tunnel bag and will trying the "ultimate" this year. The large is decent sized but I wanted to go just a little bigger to add a couple things.

The bags are decent construction and the integrated shovel holder on the lid is really nice!! Both models also have zippered top and dividers that you can move and adjust.

powkat

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2016
Thanks guys. Never considered carrying two shovels but I do have an extra I could throw on and the weight is probably negligible. I'm going to go ahead and try the bag out. I like how you can remove the shovel holder if you want and just have a regular tunnel bag.

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
I really like the ultimate bag, its built well, and is easy to organize things. The hard sided shovel holder is really nice. I ran it 2 years with no issues, third year I overfilled it and tore the waterproof zipper trying to close it. I carry one shovel in my pack and one in my tunnel bag. It is much faster getting the one off the tunnel vs taking my pack off for a quick stuck. I replaced it midseason with a bca bag and the seams on it tore the same year, I loved how much it could hold but I was pretty disappointed in the waterproof compartment and the durability. I also carry a lot of tools and have it stuffed pretty full so maybe it was my fault but I wont be getting another. Also the shovel holder is nicer and the quick tie downs are much better on the ultimate than on the bca.
My .02

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I carry two BCA Dozer shovels.

One on the tunnel and one in the MtnPro vest pack.

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
The new bca tunnel bag is nice.. should have fixed the issues from old version.

neverenoughsnow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 1999
Omaha, Ne.
gas

Anyone know if the large shovel bag and the gas caddy will fit on a 163 tunnel? I had the small bag and caddy on my 155 and it was ok. How much length on the 163 tunnel vs 155?

I have room for a spare gas cylinder on my 163" along with the large tunnel bag. There are a couple choices for gas cans that will work. i had enough room for 2 1 gal. mountain addiction jugs on mine. I actually run a lower profile 1 gal canister instead of the Mountain Addiction jugs, i just like the clearance it gives my feet when im flailing from side to side( hop overs).

Last edited:

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
Ya im hopeful with their new design.. I see they are sold out at bca already. Crazy.. seems they would mfg more.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
There are plenty New styles at the dealers. I was eye balling them again today.
I received the old style as a replacement under warranty- so it was free ( kind of)

Really like what they have done at least with the mounting on then new style.

Hope it keeps things dryer

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
I was under the impression the mounting hardware came with, but it does not. The straps are included though. Still $185 for a nice bag isnt insane.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I was under the impression the mounting hardware came with, but it does not. The straps are included though. Still $185 for a nice bag isnt insane.

Which bag are you talking about ??

The BCA bag does not come with specific mounting hardware for the Polaris tunnel channel. Most guys will run carriage bolts but you do run the risk of doing some minor damage to the tunnel rail as some carriage bolts seem to end up pulling upwards.

The easiest fix is using the t-bolts from Polaris that hold down the rear seat bracket. There about 2.95,a piece from Polaris (local dealer was cheaper) and they fit and work great! Here's a link to the part number,

https://www.polarispartshouse.com/oemparts/p/polaris/7520464/scr-spcl-m6x1-0x20-8-8-zod

You will also need some nylock nuts and small spacer but those can be purchased at your local hardware store.

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
After using the ultimate shovel bag for one weekend I was sold on it.
Now I don't like riding a sled without a "Dad bag" as I'm told. HA.

Keeps my avy bag super lightweight with just the avalanche necessities and carries my primary shovel on the tunnel along with food, tools, etc.

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
Which bag are you talking about ??

The BCA bag does not come with specific mounting hardware for the Polaris tunnel channel. Most guys will run carriage bolts but you do run the risk of doing some minor damage to the tunnel rail as some carriage bolts seem to end up pulling upwards.

The easiest fix is using the t-bolts from Polaris that hold down the rear seat bracket. There about 2.95,a piece from Polaris (local dealer was cheaper) and they fit and work great! Here's a link to the part number,

https://www.polarispartshouse.com/oemparts/p/polaris/7520464/scr-spcl-m6x1-0x20-8-8-zod

You will also need some nylock nuts and small spacer but those can be purchased at your local hardware store.

I used the lock n ride mounts. Works perfect just takes slight mod of holes in bag.

Premium Features