• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Silber Axys keeps detonating

P

polarisboyc

Aug 10, 2009
Utah
I've got a '17 axys running a silber kit and i've been fighting it all year with detonating. I've ran it anywhere from 7,000-10,000 ft. With race gas and without race gas, on eth mode and off eth mode, 3 lb, 5lb, and 7lb. I've changed springs and helix and weights and for some reason just wants to det when I'm in and out of the throttle. Wide open pulls are fine but whenever I'm boondocking it wants to do it. I'm currently running a a lime green spring in the front, black and silver in the back with a 48 straight helix. Weights are venom, loaded lightest in the middle, second lightest at the heel, and heaviest at the toe weighing at 76 grams. I want to put an almond spring in the front and was thinking of moving the weight around from the heel to the mid. Any insight would be very much appreciated!!

D

doudea

Sep 20, 2009
Western Slope
If you have run it on race gas, im assuming it is not an octane issue. With that i prefer av gas 100ll, as it is more stable than race fuel. Race fuel loses its octane ratting relativly quickly. At 7lbs im mixing 2gal of 100ll to 3gal of 91non ethonal. I am also premixing 100:1 with injection oil for insurance purposes. Running in the ethonal mode on the sled.

I would suspect that the det sensor may have issues. I dont know off the top of my head but the sensor needs to be torqued to a specific range to function properly. It also has a specific angle that it needs to be oriented too, with relation to the cylinder head. I would research those two to make sure your not getting a false det reading. This is where i would start.

Checking that the waste gate is operating smothly is something else i would check. With the spring out, you should be able to pull it up and push it down with out any resistance.

As far as my clutching set up at 7lbs, im running team almond primary spring with venoms at 74g red slugs in the tip and heel, blue in the middle. Secondary i have settled on 40/46 helix with the team black/silver spring.

P

polarisboyc

Aug 10, 2009
Utah
If you have run it on race gas, im assuming it is not an octane issue. With that i prefer av gas 100ll, as it is more stable than race fuel. Race fuel loses its octane ratting relativly quickly. At 7lbs im mixing 2gal of 100ll to 3gal of 91non ethonal. I am also premixing 100:1 with injection oil for insurance purposes. Running in the ethonal mode on the sled.

I would suspect that the det sensor may have issues. I dont know off the top of my head but the sensor needs to be torqued to a specific range to function properly. It also has a specific angle that it needs to be oriented too, with relation to the cylinder head. I would research those two to make sure your not getting a false det reading. This is where i would start.

Checking that the waste gate is operating smothly is something else i would check. With the spring out, you should be able to pull it up and push it down with out any resistance.

As far as my clutching set up at 7lbs, im running team almond primary spring with venoms at 74g red slugs in the tip and heel, blue in the middle. Secondary i have settled on 40/46 helix with the team black/silver spring.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll check my waste gate and the det sensor. I put my 3 lb spring in this last weekend riding around 8,000 ft with premium and it was still detonating. Thats why I'm not sure if octane is the problem but maybe I should start running 100 just to be safe.

P

polarisboyc

Aug 10, 2009
Utah
It most definitely shouldn’t be detonating with the 3lb spring. With that I highly suspect the sensor is throwing false det readings.

Thats kind of what I'm thinking too. Have you heard of any det sensors going out on these sleds?

D

doudea

Sep 20, 2009
Western Slope
Honestly not, but on my previous turbo pro which uses the same Det sensor I experienced false det codes. Because I didn’t get it torqued properly. I know it is very sensitive to angle and proper torque. I believe it works off changing electrical resistance that reacts to harmonics put off by the engine. So when det is occurring in the engine a significantly different harmonic is occurring which is what the det sensor triggers off of. So with improper setup it can be inaccurate.

Again don’t take this to the bank, because I honestly know just enough to confuse myself.

P

polarisboyc

Aug 10, 2009
Utah
Honestly not, but on my previous turbo pro which uses the same Det sensor I experienced false det codes. Because I didn’t get it torqued properly. I know it is very sensitive to angle and proper torque. I believe it works off changing electrical resistance that reacts to harmonics put off by the engine. So when det is occurring in the engine a significantly different harmonic is occurring which is what the det sensor triggers off of. So with improper setup it can be inaccurate.

Again don’t take this to the bank, because I honestly know just enough to confuse myself.

No thats some good info, I appreciate it. I'm almost to the point of taking the stupid thing off and wrapping some foam around it or something

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Shouldn't have det with 5 pound spring at that elevation. I built a 16 silber axys and ran 5 pound spring on pump. I sold it to my buddy and he still runs it the same. Unless they changed compression or timing or something, on the 17, you have over rev or something else going on.

P

polarisboyc

Aug 10, 2009
Utah
Shouldn't have det with 5 pound spring at that elevation. I built a 16 silber axys and ran 5 pound spring on pump. I sold it to my buddy and he still runs it the same. Unless they changed compression or timing or something, on the 17, you have over rev or something else going on.

It originally was over revving and thats when i changed the clutches around. Now its turning what it needs to as far as RPM's go, just det's when I'm in and out of the throttle.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
That sucks. My old one still runs like a champ but once in a while it will bog or sputter. Then it just clears up out of the blue and runs like a champ. Whatever it is, I bet, is a Polaris issue. Runs awesome 99% of the time.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Your having the exact same issue as I am! Except my sled has a boost-it kit, octane doesn't matter, boost, etc. I even have boondockers 3 degree timing key in, it's still doing it and on off the throttle such as boondocking.

I've been fighting it all winter, I've swapped everything, knock sensor, under torque it, brand new tps, check for anything loose or could be rattling to set off a fake det code, nothings helped, now I'm having o2 sensor issues, once I get that sorted again I'll be playing with my fueling, *so far* it seems like my sled likes leaner in the mid range up, it's doing it less now making my boost fueling come in later and leaning up my mid range it's about half of what it was, coincidence? And it got worse when I richened it up, so I figured it can't really be detonating? But in starting to stretch further leaner than what boost it runs for their polaris kits so I'm really thinking it's just a fake code,

I'm sooo close to taking that knock sensor off and tieing it up.

Last edited:
P

polarisboyc

Aug 10, 2009
Utah
Your having the exact same issue as I am! Except my sled has a boost-it kit, octane doesn't matter, boost, etc. I even have boondockers 3 degree timing key in, it's still doing it and on off the throttle such as boondocking.

I've been fighting it all winter, I've swapped everything, knock sensor, under torque it, brand new tps, check for anything loose or could be rattling to set off a fake det code, nothings helped, now I'm having o2 sensor issues, once I get that sorted again I'll be playing with my fueling, *so far* it seems like my sled likes leaner in the mid range up, it's doing it less now making my boost fueling come in later and leaning up my mid range it's about half of what it was, coincidence? And it got worse when I richened it up, so I figured it can't really be detonating? But in starting to stretch further leaner than what boost it runs for their polaris kits so I'm really thinking it's just a fake code,

I'm sooo close to taking that knock sensor off and tieing it up.

Thats exactly what I'm thinking of doing haha. I cant mess with fueling on my sled but I just think there's no way it should be detonating on 3 lbs of boost. I'm gonna check my sensor and if it appears to be ok then I'm gonna take it out.

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
If pistons and plugs look good ( no signs of detonation ), check that turbo is on rubber mounts, exhaust pipe not touching frame, not sure what type of air intake box you have, but make sure it's not vibrating up against motor. Motor mounts are good? It does sound like a false reading if your getting code when out of throttle, there must be a vibration coming from exhaust, turbo, or air box??
Hope this helps.

P

polarisboyc

Aug 10, 2009
Utah
If pistons and plugs look good ( no signs of detonation ), check that turbo is on rubber mounts, exhaust pipe not touching frame, not sure what type of air intake box you have, but make sure it's not vibrating up against motor. Motor mounts are good? It does sound like a false reading if your getting code when out of throttle, there must be a vibration coming from exhaust, turbo, or air box??
Hope this helps.

Thanks that helps a lot! I will check all those things on it as well. I appreciate the feedback!

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Is there an issue with the tss on the sleds causing a det code?

And yeah no way you'd be detonating on 3# at that elevation, even on pump gas. I mix av gas in with 94 pump for added assurance from detonation.

P

polarisboyc

Aug 10, 2009
Utah
Is there an issue with the tss on the sleds causing a det code?

And yeah no way you'd be detonating on 3# at that elevation, even on pump gas. I mix av gas in with 94 pump for added assurance from detonation.

I havent heard of det issues with the tss but i guess you never know. I'm pretty something is going on with the sensor. I'm gonna do a one over on everything and if it all looks good I'm just going to pull the sensor out

snoballssnoglory

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
TSS Isn’t gonna cause det that I know of however it’ll feel like det. So if you’ve actually got a det code than it’s not likely the issue. But the way you described the issue it sounded like it might be a TSS failing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features