• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SnoWest magazine: Yamaha 2017: Everything You Need to Know About the Sidewinder M-TX

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Yamaha 2017: Everything You Need to Know About the Sidewinder M-TX SE Turbo

Published online: Mar 01, 2016 Feature, Industry News, Yamaha Ryan Harris Viewed 3168 time(s)
Web Exclusive

All you turbo-loving chute climbers can rejoice. Yamaha has a cool new Sidewinder Turbo M-TX LE complete with a new 998 Genesis triple 4-stroke and factory turbo system. The sled is rated at 180 horsepower and comes with new body work and a new steering system.

Yamaha has drastically increased the performance level for 2017 with the introduction of the all-new Sidewinder series of snowmobiles, featuring the Genesis 998 Turbo, along with the return of the completely overhauled VK540.

The Sidewinder takes the lead as Yamaha’s new flagship snowmobile, and will be available in different variations for R-TX, L-TX, S-TX, X-TX, M-TX and an all-new sub category, the B-TX series. The B-TX series is for low elevation boondockers who want a 153” track length and a narrower ski-stance than traditional deep snow models, but with the sea-level clutching and moderate lug height to tackle the trails when required.

At the heart of the Sidewinder is the diabolical all new Genesis 998T which has made the Sidewinder the new production snowmobile HP king. The turbo comes factory-installed from Yamaha’s facilities in Japan and delivers top of the class performance with the reliability customers have come to expect from Yamaha.

2017%20Sidewinder%20MTX%20162%20SE%20blue%20front.jpg_1600.jpg

The 2017 Yamaha Sidewinder M-TX has a new, fresh look thanks to revised body panels.

2017%20Sidewinder%20MTX%20162%20SE%20blue%203_4.jpg_1600.jpg

The same front and rear suspension, track and tunnel as the 2016 SR Viper M-TX returns for 2017.

DSC_3190.jpg_1600.jpg

We had a chance to ride the new Sidewinder M-TX Turbo. It has the power and traction to get you anywhere on the mountain. Boost is ready at the flip of the throttle, and the sled rockets forward like a galactic spaceship. Yamaha athlete Jason Soucie pictured.

IMG_0062.jpg_1600.jpg

Here it is, the all-new 998 Genesis Turbo... the Sidewinder.

Sidewinder%20schematic.jpg_1600.jpg

The Sidewinder Turbo System and 998cc Genesis Triple

Sidemount%20layout.jpg_1600.jpg

Exhaust Layout

Exhaust%20layout%201.jpg_1600.jpg

Turbo Unit

Turbine.jpg_1600.jpg

Turbo%20unit.jpg_1600.jpg

Electronics

Mitsubishi%20ECU.jpg_1600.jpg

Mitsubishi%20ECU%202.jpg_1600.jpg

Performance

Performance.jpg_1600.jpg

Durability

Durability.jpg_1600.jpg

Engine Components

Lightweight DOHC Cylinder Head

Head.jpg_1600.jpg

New 4-Hole Fuel Injectors

Injecotrs.jpg_1600.jpg

Engine Braking Control

Engine%20braking%20control.jpg_1600.jpg

Lightweight Coated Aluminum Cylinders

Lightweight%20coated%20cylinders.jpg_1600.jpg

New Press Forged Crank Shaft

Crankshaft.jpg_1600.jpg

New Connecting Rods

Connecting%20rods.jpg_1600.jpg

New Forged Pistons

Forged%20pistons.jpg_1600.jpg

New Piston Cooler

Piston%20coolers.jpg_1600.jpg

Forged Camshaft

Camshaft.jpg_1600.jpg

Hydraulic Chain Tensioner

chain%20tensioner.jpg_1600.jpg

Counter Balancer

Counter%20balancer.jpg_1600.jpg

New Coolant Pump

Coolant%20pump.jpg_1600.jpg

New High-Volume Oil Pump

oil%20pump.jpg_1600.jpg

Sidewinder Chassis Application

Sidewinder%20application.jpg_1600.jpg

New YSRC Transmission System

Transmission.jpg_1600.jpg

New YSRC Primary Clutch

Transmission%202.jpg_1600.jpg

New YSRC Roller Secondary Clutch

Transmission%203.jpg_1600.jpg

New YSRC Transmission System

Transmission%204.jpg_1600.jpg

New Deep Snow Ski

Ski.jpg_1600.jpg

DSC_3089.jpg_1600.jpg

Summary%20points%20Turbo.jpg_1600.jpg

Summary%20points%20engine.jpg_1600.jpg

Summary%20features%20body.jpg_1600.jpg

Last edited:

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Extensive! Who will be the first to put a programmer/tune on this and go 200+ Hp??

Sent fra min GT-I9295 via Tapatalk

MNBlizzard

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
Duluth, MN
Very informative write up. I'm impressed with the technology and hope this engine is well received as it should be. As a former yamaha faithful, this sled comes a little late for me as I bought a new Doo this winter that so far has impressed. I'd like to see this motor/chassis stick around so I can get the opportunity to own one in the future.

T
Oct 15, 2008
Kamloops BC Canada
New motor weight

I am surprised that the team that developed the engine turbo package did not talk about weight reduction. This looks like the kind of engine Yamaha should be proud of. I am just surprised given a clean sheet that they did not use light weight materials and make it a part of the launch hype.
If they didn't make it lighter we already have a 180 hp turbo in the 9000 cat??? This looks like an incredible machine.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
I am surprised that the team that developed the engine turbo package did not talk about weight reduction. This looks like the kind of engine Yamaha should be proud of. I am just surprised given a clean sheet that they did not use light weight materials and make it a part of the launch hype.
If they didn't make it lighter we already have a 180 hp turbo in the 9000 cat??? This looks like an incredible machine.

I agree, I wish they would have given some weight figures.

I did see that cat is saying that the new 998t engine alone is 10 lbs lighter than the 1100t engine.

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
I would imagine it still pukes oil when its upside down?......or does it say somewhere that that problem was addressed.

.....or the loss of oil pressure at sustained high angles of attack. Still the Proclimb chassis with different skin?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
When is everyone going to finally figure it out

ITS NOT ABOUT THE WEIGHT!
Yamaha is not on a weight loss diet!

That is CLEARLY not their goal with their sled line. They appear to be FAR more interested in
Durability
Longevity
Power
Reliability
Endurance
Quality
Technology
Efficiently
Ect..

Yamaha has let all of us know they will let the 2 Smokers chase after weight and sacrifice EVERYTHING else on that alter in pursuit of it.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c

That is CLEARLY not their goal with their sled line. They appear to be FAR more interested in
Durability
Longevity
Power
Reliability
Endurance
Quality
Technology
Efficiently
Ect..

Yamaha has let all of us know they will let the 2 Smokers chase after weight and sacrifice EVERYTHING else on that alter in pursuit of it.

But they can do both,that's the issue most people have,they can make this sled allot lighter with some simple things.
Smaller lighter seat,that 30lbs chaincase,the hood & panels look way better not sure if lighter.
I can keep going but you get what Iam talking about,at this point I won't buy another yammi till they address some of the weight.

RX1MountainMan

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Harlowton, MT
But they can do both,that's the issue most people have,they can make this sled allot lighter with some simple things.
Smaller lighter seat,that 30lbs chaincase,the hood & panels look way better not sure if lighter.
I can keep going but you get what Iam talking about,at this point I won't buy another yammi till they address some of the weight.

I agree! I think my next sled will be an AXYS. I was a die hard 4-S fan and love my APEX MTX for the durability, fit and finish, but I am getting old enough its kicking my *** at the end of a hard day of riding. I have ridden the AC 1100T and the M8000 and absolutely do not like that chassis. I think Yamaha could do a lot better with the weight reduction through the current material and engineering that is out there. I definitely applaud the factory turbo and hope I could throw a leg over one for a spin, but after riding the RMK's from my wife's '07 to a buddies '15 I think that is the way I will be going for my next sled...

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I agree! I think my next sled will be an AXYS. I was a die hard 4-S fan and love my APEX MTX for the durability, fit and finish, but I am getting old enough its kicking my *** at the end of a hard day of riding. I have ridden the AC 1100T and the M8000 and absolutely do not like that chassis. I think Yamaha could do a lot better with the weight reduction through the current material and engineering that is out there. I definitely applaud the factory turbo and hope I could throw a leg over one for a spin, but after riding the RMK's from my wife's '07 to a buddies '15 I think that is the way I will be going for my next sled...

Curious what you didn't like about the pro climb chassis if you like the pro. Rider position steering and other things are similar between the two. I've ridden both and find them similar. Being a bigger person I just like the stronger chassis. Thirty pound weight penalty is worth it. And my biggest pet peeve with my current sled is the snow and ice buildup and the Polaris is bad also with that. Pro climb is a very clean chassis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
Curious what you didn't like about the pro climb chassis if you like the pro. Rider position steering and other things are similar between the two. I've ridden both and find them similar. Being a bigger person I just like the stronger chassis. Thirty pound weight penalty is worth it. And my biggest pet peeve with my current sled is the snow and ice buildup and the Polaris is bad also with that. Pro climb is a very clean chassis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The biggest issue with the Proclimb chassis is the outward slope on the panels covering the fuel tank. The Pro, AXYS, and XM have flat panels and for technical downhill riding when you want to dig in a knee it's almost impossible on the PC chassis.
The weight is whatever...people know what they weigh when they buy it so they shouldn't complain. The fact that the chassis has room for improvement could have been dealt with. It's obvious that Cat engineers don't ride tight steep trees.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado

likely the sled gained weight with the turbo and associated components. but, one has to consider power to weight ratio. assuming its easy to crank up the boost beyond 180

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007

Durability
Longevity
Power
Reliability
Endurance
Quality
Technology
Efficiently
Ect..

the new 850 by doo changes these rules. it was made to handle boost and be reliable, imo it has more technology than the 998 by yammie. yamaha is lost when it comes to a mountain sled and what the masses want

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
I think it's a great product. And you are correct, it's not about the weight "for a trail rider". For mountain riders (for the exception of a very small group) it is all about the weight. Todays technical riders want something light and nimble. After owning a four stroke turbo, I understand both sides of the coin. However, with the majority of riders being in the older age group (me included), I don't want to wrestle with a heavier machine in the mountains. I think the four stroke is awesome and has it's place in the snowmobile industry, but for "most" it's not in the mountains. If it were, all four manufacturers would all have four stroke mountain sleds. The fact is they don't. Yamaha continues to develop the four stroke for the lake racers of the Midwest and Northeast. Those are the areas that provide them with the profit margin they are looking for. Someone mentioned in another thread, the style of riding sleds in the mountains have evolved over the last ten years. For some, slaying chutes is still something that gets their blood pumping, for others, it's where can I find the best snow by taking my light weight sled through some tight technical terrain. The four stroke has the ability to get there, but at what cost. It's us old guys with money that can afford todays new sleds. It's the young guys that aren't quite so sore at the end of the day that don't mind the added weight. Great job Yamaha, I think you developed a great sled for a small percentage of mountain riders and a HUGE percentage of trail riders.

Premium Features