• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 WR 450 Cold Start Issues

M
Dec 28, 2014
Ennis, MT
Hey All,

Curious if any of you out there running the newer FI WR's have had problems with cold starting. Mine is a bear to fire up sub-freezing! I have switched to the Rotella 5-40, but haven't got a Lion battery yet.

I thought I read something on the TT forum about the idle circuit being to rich on some bikes and that you may have to take it into the dealer to get this adjusted with a exhaust sniffer and a special programmer.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, J

H

hiltz

Oct 30, 2015
Edmonton, AB
Not sure if you have a choke, but thats all it takes for my KTM. if my battery dies from the cold I Open the choke and a few kicks it fires up. without that choke I would be kicking for hours...

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Turn the idle RPM up to the upper limit, then use the kick starter instead E start for the first start of the day. One hard swift kick at - 20 celsius maybe 2-3 with the cold start button pulled. Most of the time that is not needed if the idle is cranked up high enough. A switch to switch the headlight of during normal operations will allow the batterie to charge better for more reliable E start operations. E start on the 2012 WR just simply sucks I used the kickstart most of the time. E start was my only complaint on the 2012 Wr450.
Yamaha never stepped up to making it better same starter as on the 250 where it works great just cranks over slightly to slow for the 450 to start reliable.

Nov 13, 2008
I have a '13 wr 450 and it's the same. From what I understand you have to take it to the dealer and have the co setting adjusted to 8-10. They come stock at like 1-2 I guess which is too lean. I have found that kicking it while using the e-start works. I plan on installing a pad heater on mine though.

G

grinney

Feb 6, 2010
My roommate has one he rides in the summer and starts hard no matter what temp they need the idle fixed at the dealership he's just runs a quarter tank of race fuel to richen the mix up a little seems to work and you can get a battery that's 200 cca instead of 120 on the stock battery wish I could rember which one it is though

M
Dec 28, 2014
Ennis, MT
I have a '13 wr 450 and it's the same. From what I understand you have to take it to the dealer and have the co setting adjusted to 8-10. They come stock at like 1-2 I guess which is too lean. I have found that kicking it while using the e-start works. I plan on installing a pad heater on mine though.

Have you gone and gotten this done yet? These adjustments can't be done with the GYTR tuner can they? I just feel like the dealer will be hesitant to make these adjustments. It just sucks cause I love this bike in the summer!

Pad heater would definitely help! My bike starts so much easier when its warm, its just a matter of keeping it warm while I drive to the trailhead usually an hour or so. Guess you could rig a deep cell battery for the drive.

Premium Features