• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Low Idle

X
Nov 11, 2015
my Buddy had the same Problem on his new pro. first he went to the dealer again to look for the Problem, but the dealer told him that he checked the sled and could not find any problem. after he was back again, he tries the sled on sow, and the Problem was not fixed. on full trottle the sled only pulls 6500rpm. So he checked the sled on his own and he finds the Problem. the Problem was caused by an injector failure. changed the injector and everything was fine. the sled than runs great......

TimG

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Anybody have a procedure for checking it without the Digital Wrench? I understand you need a really high quality meter. There was a great write up on how to check it on the pro a couple years ago- is the wiring on the axys the same?

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
Anybody have a procedure for checking it without the Digital Wrench? I understand you need a really high quality meter. There was a great write up on how to check it on the pro a couple years ago- is the wiring on the axys the same?

This is a great question...is it the same base setting and such as the pro? I have a TPS checker tool/contraption I built for the Pro...if it's the same process I may have to go into business setting guys' TPS's:)

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Is there a stock norm for idle rpm? 1400 doesn't seem bad at all, mines more like 800-900 and is very tough to get into reverse. Still in break in and bottom end is very rich. I'll worry about it after break in if it still occurs, but doesn't really hinder my riding at all.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
My idle is around 1650-1700 after break in. About the same before break in other than it would fall off to 1200 or so when first started and idling cold. Doesn't have that problem after break in

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
My idle is around 1650-1700 after break in. About the same before break in other than it would fall off to 1200 or so when first started and idling cold. Doesn't have that problem after break in

What do you consider "break in" because there are 2 break in modes. 1 being oil break in mode which lasts 2-3 hrs and 2 being a fuel break in mode which lasts 18 hrs. I am hesitant to bring mine in because I think when I pass up 18 hrs it'll idle fine. You can tell the sled is really rich down low/mid range. Up top it rips though.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
What do you consider "break in" because there are 2 break in modes. 1 being oil break in mode which lasts 2-3 hrs and 2 being a fuel break in mode which lasts 18 hrs. I am hesitant to bring mine in because I think when I pass up 18 hrs it'll idle fine. You can tell the sled is really rich down low/mid range. Up top it rips though.

2.5 hours. I gained power and most consistent idling right when I hit the 2.5 hr mark

M

minus40

Oct 22, 2001

I believe you have that backwards.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002

First 2.5 hours is increased fuel and greatly increased oil, 2.5 to 18 hours is increased oil. Eric

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
So I had my AXYS out this weekend and experienced the low idle issues as well. When it was cold (-5*F) I would go to start it and it wouldn't idle without giving some throttle. It would chug down till it died. Very annoying, and when it is warm, it requires a lil blip of the throttle when starting. Once running warm, it will idle good around 1600 RPM. Obviously low still (should be around 1800-1900 RPM), my question is the TPS settings the same as the PRO at .7V base and .93V idle with supply of 5V?

FYI here is a link to the old TPS setting steps for a PRO:
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287858

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Experience low idle today. Only thing that changed was I switched the setting from ethanol to 91 octane non ethanol. Obviously, I'm running non ethanol.

Everyone else who is seeing low idle, are you running ethanol or non ethanol?

diggity

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2010
Might not have a good boot to throttle body seal. Happened tome when I put my charge box on for my turbo. slight leak dropped idle rpm a few hundred.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
91 Non ethanol @ 9200' from day one 230 miles 10.2 hours on the clock still have low idle in the morning- but not during the ride when shutting off and restarting through out the day

S/C

Last edited:

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Ive had this issue act up on my sled 2-3 times. Did it today in fact, cold start up, sled was idling on my sled deck warming up while I was getting ready the idle was slowly going lower and lower until it died. Restarted it, temp was up to about 85* had to rev it up a few times, put in reverse and died, did this again one more time before it went into reverse.

Going to check the TPS settings this week.

Sled has about 13 hours on it now, didnt have this problem at all in the first 5 hours. Eric

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
I'm headed to talk to the dealer tomorrow. If anyone finds a solution to their low idle, please post it up. Could be helpful to the rest of us.

Really seems like a tps issue to me. I also had a slight stutter/bog hammering on it coming over a small creek. Stuttered at about 6500 rpm or so. Did it three separate times today.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Stopped by the dealer today and according to the shop guy (who isn't your standard know-nothing tech, but a guy that knows his stuff) said that his axys does the same thing. It just seems moody on the idle. Said don't worry about it and ride it like you stole it, that's just the nature of the beast. So that's just what I'm going to do. Might be irritating but it doesn't bother me when I ride so it's whatever.

Curious to hear what everybody else hears from their dealer.

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
I cannot imagine they put out a sled that won't sit and idle at 10,000 feet...that sounds absurd!

Has to be something with the TPS...but then again will sit and idle in my garage at 7,300 feet all day with no problems...

Will keep checking this thread for ideas...

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
It has to be a TPS issue, just need to know what the specs are for it. I am assuming it is the same as the Pro motors, but I hate assuming... Mountainhorse are ya out there?!

C
Dec 24, 2014
There is no way it is "normal", especially based on some techs opinion, because he is too lazy to fix his too?

I had a Pro with the TPS idle issue. My Axys doesn't have it. Idles up perfectly every time. Runs ~1800 in the garage at 7500 feet and on the mountain from 10-12,000 feet.

The good news is, I did eventually find a dealer that adjusted the sensor right, curing the problem on my old Pro.

Good Luck!

TimG

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
My dealer showed me the TPS idle spec in the service manual. It's 0.94 volts, same as the old Pro. This isn't the most important spec, though- that would be the baseline spec. The dealer says the only one he could find was the idle spec. Does anyone know what the baseline is supposed to be?

While we're at it, are the wire colors used in checking the TPS the same?

For reference, here's the procedure for checking the TPS on the '11 to '15 Pro (make sure a quality meter is used):

1. Feed 12V into the "ECM PWR" connector above the primary clutch. Orange is +, brown is -.

2. Check for 5 Volt signal at the ECM. You'll find this at cavity #24 on the lower ECM plug (RED/WHITE wire- back probe with a paper clip or needle with connector plugged in to ECM). You must have 4.99-5.01 V there.

3. Back off the idle screw until throttle bodies are fully closed (make sure throttle cable isn't holding the blades slightly open). Check the signal wire coming from the TPS at the ECM- cavity #7 (AQUA wire, again, back probe with paper clip/ needle). It should be 0.700 volts.

4. If the voltage is out of spec, loosen screws and adjust the TPS. Re-tighten screws, recheck until it's right.

5. Once baseline spec is set correctly, set idle to 0.94 volts by adjusting the idle screw.

Last edited:
Premium Features