• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Issues with Axys aluminum a-arms

klpilot

Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
seattle
Yeah these things are like butter... I hit a few things this weekend so lightly I didn't even look at my a arms until I noticed one ski was 4 inches behind the other. I'm not sure if it got progressive or all at once, but I sure as heck didn't hit anything hard enough to bend any other sled I've owned over the last 20 years. Stock up on these. On a side note I have a right side for sale and a left upper. ..

20151107_232327.jpg

klpilot

Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
seattle
Come on man

And you guys keep buying these things.

Uh...? Yeah polaris is the only manufacturer of anything that has ever broken ever... your stunning wisdom is real treat for all of us. I could recite all the issues I've had will all four manufacturers, but that would be a waste of all of our time except yours... please just go sit at the back of the class. C'mon

klpilot

Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
seattle
Look I understand where polaris is coming from. Bend before damage to the chassis. However an aggressive rider like myself will go through these lower a arms every other ride. In 3 years of riding pro chassis' I only bent the tunnel once with the stronger a arm. Now I know that I abuse sleds like I think they are supposed to be riden. I know most people don't, but I think they are quite a bit more weak than the chassis bending threshold. No doubt I smacked some things, but not over the bars smack. I was replacing these anyway but i wish i could have sold them before the damage. Supposed to have the zbros by the end of the week.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I have a pile of bent and broken arms. Stock ,aftermarket, chromoly ,Ti doesn't really matter . Unless you want to ride groomed trails it's going to happen so have spares !!

For 340.00 per side I would buy a good aftermarket set and keep the stockers for spares

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
The 2 times i ever bent an a-arm wasnt because i hit something (and i hit quite a bit of stuff) it was because my carbide caught something and basically twisted under. I dont run a carbide anymore.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'd bet an a-arm this is what happened. I don't run carbides because of it. It doesn't always take big force to wreck things often it is large jerk (change in acceleration) that causes an instantaneous stress riser, that you can't barely feel because it happens and is gone so quickly, that is the real culprit. An example would be a carbide catching and releasing on a rock or changing gears in a manual where although the accelerating force is bounded by the engine power, an inexperienced driver lets you experience severe jerk, because of intermittent force closure over the clutch.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I either grind the carbide off or run a hard weld. Takes a pretty powerful grinder to actually take off that hard material. 8" grinder usually has enough juice for the job. 6" grinder not so much.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I either grind the carbide off or run a hard weld. Takes a pretty powerful grinder to actually take off that hard material. 8" grinder usually has enough juice for the job. 6" grinder not so much.

For grinding anything Carbide, a Green Wheel should be used, as it is far harder than most other grinding compounds. It really has nothing to do with grinder HP, but you can definitely load the bigger grinder more without stalling it out.

Easier yet is an Oxy / Acetylene torch and soften / melt the brazing and pull the carbide inserts off with pliers or knock them off with a hammer and punch once the brazing compound has been softened on the profiled shaper bars.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Remove stock wear bars, heat up the carbide with a torch and when you see the braze puddle up tap it with a chisel and it will fall right out. Reheat the bar and wire brush, then fill the V-groove with weld.

One of the first things I do to a new sled. It will save your *** many times. Eric

Flyn Or Dyn

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2009
Wisconsin
carbides

X2 ullose, I myself no longer run a carbide but instead run a single piece of Ti. 3/8 rod. Lightweight and doesn't catch or snag anything.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Wow.
You guys think a company that decided to glue parts together would have a fantastic idea with these arms?
I have seen pics from 6 months ago of these arms all twisted up.
(And you can straighten them without them breaking.) That shows how soft they are.
How many Pro bulkheads have been screwed up by overly strong Polaris arms? Not a lot. Oh, and they ARE cheaper than the bonded ones, but not by a lot.
Trust me, I am tired of riding the same XM every year, and I will be switching next year unless there are some revolutionary changes with Doo, but Poo really does need to start taking care of their customers and quit setting them up to buy incredibly expensive parts.
Never had an issue with the glue. I think it is innovation in other industries that led us to glue on our sleds. Obviously you didnt see the pull test samples polaris carries around. The alumimum pulled a part not the glued joint. Im not worried abiut the a arms until I ride the sled and see.
Nope, hit a Ski-Doo XM. You should see the other guy!

idahosledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
The problem they had with the glue was issues during assembly. A lot of car mfgrs have been doing it for years, as well as in the airline industry.
As was said, if it's done correctly the glue joint can be stronger than the material itself.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Correct I use the Glues all the time in the boats, if the joint is done correctly its stronger that the 6061 we use, ie if you use a air chisel on the joint the aluminum will separate before the glued joint, you must use heat to get it to separate at the glue line.

Premium Features