• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Drop n roll

S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
The Pro ride seems to have a pretty good approach angle as is but will a drop n roll make it better if you where to do it without the need of more clearance for a bigger track ?

I am thinking of a new build with and my idea was to copy skid to driveshaft relation of the Pro RMK but i have the option of placing the drive shaft where i want som how would you do it ?
Same as the PRO or dropped ?
Driver size and track clearance will be adjusted with design of tunnel roof and front cooler so its not a factor.

Is the Axys dropped or is "only" the rest of the chassie (running boards) raised ?

S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
Thanks !

I suspect that skid rails curve is designed to "meet" the lower drivers then ?

EDIT : My plan is to use Pro RMK 155 Skid.

Axys--

Driveshaft to jackshaft distance is bigger.

Driveshaft is dropped.

Drop brackets are longer.

Spindles are taller.

Kcjepperson

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2012
Wallsburg, UT
I bet the rails are pretty close to the same, the distance from shafts are greater but the axys has a smaller diameter driver so the distance from the Jack shaft to the bottom of the driver are probably pretty close still

S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
So with a 8 tooth 2,86 pitch would you leave it in stock Pro RMK position or lower it ?

Kcjepperson

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2012
Wallsburg, UT
I disagree 100%. It's handles differently but that doesn't mean it doesn't handle bad. I think my drop and rolled pro will handle closer to an Axys than anything else. It becomes much easier to throw around and rider input is transfered easier to the sled. I have rode many many pros and mine is much easier to imitate any manuever on or hold a side hill.

I admit when I first ride my sled after doing the belt drive and other mods is was awkward and different but after a few rides I was comfortable on it, and would want any other sled.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
My $0.02 in Blue

Axys--

Driveshaft to jackshaft distance is bigger.

From what I've calculated and confirmed by scaling the Photos of the AXYS they only stretched the center to center distance about 1/4"

Driveshaft is dropped.
I have not yet scaled any of the photos to qualify or quantify, position or amount. I need to do this, being its a new chassis and the front suspension at least using different pivot shafts and bushings (hard to ascertain if the actual geometry is the same or different from a pic, but the "SW rumor" is it is tweaked geometry wise), so no real points of reference to gauge where the Jackshaft and Driveshaft are in relation to everything else and how it compares to the PRO RMK geometry.

Drop brackets are longer.

Spindles are taller.

Not that they actually implemented the change but the (now known as) "AXYS RMK" Patent drawings filed in 2012-2013 show the drive shaft 2" lower also. I have not finished them but I'm working on multiple builds that used the Patent drawings as a guide of what was to come. I should have a few of them done before spring. Mine have the Jack shaft in the PRO RMK position and the Drive shaft down ~1 3/16" and back about 1 3/16" with a 9" center to center distance. This will allow a 9 Tooth driver and a 3" paddle in any track pitch and still have snow and air evacuation clearance. FWIW

S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
Interesting, any pics of your builds?
Would you have dropped the driveshaft if you had clearance with a 9 tooth and 3" track in stock position ?

My $0.02 in Blue

Not that they actually implemented the change but the (now known as) "AXYS RMK" Patent drawings filed in 2012-2013 show the drive shaft 2" lower also. I have not finished them but I'm working on multiple builds that used the Patent drawings as a guide of what was to come. I should have a few of them done before spring. Mine have the Jack shaft in the PRO RMK position and the Drive shaft down ~1 3/16" and back about 1 3/16" with a 9" center to center distance. This will allow a 9 Tooth driver and a 3" paddle in any track pitch and still have snow and air evacuation clearance. FWIW

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Interesting, any pics of your builds?
Would you have dropped the driveshaft if you had clearance with a 9 tooth and 3" track in stock position ?

My Plan is to start a build thread of at least one of them soon. :eyebrows:

That is a good question; and it would all depend on approach angle, I like it quite soft, from what I have seen of the AXYS RMK it's approach angle is about the same (if not the same as the PRO), I would / will go more when I move to AXYS RMK chassis. I will drop and roll my AXYS builds also when I start them. I've yet to see a down side of a real sized driver and a shallow approach angle, some claim it is not worth exposing the drivers / drive shaft to the potential damage. I'm not buying that as a valid reason. Just like I do not prescribe to the whole 7 Tooth driver Bull Sh!t! I liken that to being too cheap to buy a full size spare tire and installing / running the goofy wheelbarrow sized spare tire that some manufactures provide with most sub-compact cars. It works, but it's stupid and makes you look like a cheap dork! And accelerates the wear and tare on all of other drivetrain parts. Forcing the whole cars replacement much sooner than if all four tires were the full sized.

That said; for our wet coastal snow, I do not need the approach angle that shallow to work well, but choose to do so for it's extra efficiency and ridablity.

Premium Features