• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ON-THE-SNOW RIDE IMPRESSIONS: 2016 AXYS-PRO RMK ... OUR DAY IN APINE WYO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Do you know if the length of the skid shocks is the same as the ProRide RMK? :)
Looks mighty sweet this one, hope they have a Powder-coated tunnel for the LE edition ;)

Today...With the ONE only model released... it is a True to the definition "Sneak Peak" ...

There are very limited technical details being released .... there will be more details as time rolls on... with a bigger discussion and more details on March 2nd.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
You say more to come on March 2nd.

Is what we are seeing on Polaris' website what is in the crate at West?

Any indication on extra options for those who snowcheck? Such as powder coated tunnel...

mtnpull

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Heber City, Utah
www.uintarecreation.com
So here is my run down.

Personally, I have been on a Pro for the last 4 seasons, but went to a T3 163 this year that I have absolutely loved in the limited seat time on it.

First, let me give you an idea of snow conditions, as that makes a big difference as to how the sled performs in given circumstances. Unfortunately the snow was NOT the perfect snow conditions to test a sled that is built to excel in deep western powder, and mountain terrain. It was difficult to find any un-tracked snow. Most of the snow was very set up and not forgiving at all. We did happen to find and get into a couple pulls in some steep tree lines where the snow still had a base but was much softer and better suited for testing the purpose of this machine.

Most of the technical features have already been discussed. I will reinforce the ones that I liked best and which stood out to me.

I tend to look at sleds a little differently due to the nature of my business. I have to wrench on sleds all the time fixing damages and trouble shooting problems. This sled you can literally strip off all the plastics and access the motor compartment in about 30 seconds. AWESOME!

The a arms are a huge upgrade over the bonded ones that often left people out on the mountain.

One of the single greatest performance upgrades is the motor performance. Who knows on the longevity....that still has to be seen. But the lightweight crank and how snappy that motor is on the low end is amazing. Really, AMAZING. I've been riding sleds for over 15 years aggressively and I nearly dumped myself off the sled a couple times because I was not expecting that instant power. This should translate into quicker lift onto the snow. Throttle pull was noticeably easier. This is a great upgrade to one of the Pro's biggest weaknesses.

The belt drive has been dropped and they went to a smaller set of drivers. I can only speculate that this means a 3" track to come in March. There is definitely plenty of room in there for one. The stock track seemed to work well with the snow conditions we had to work with.

One of the biggest changes to the way the sled handles and the change that I am the most on the fence about is the raised center of gravity. I think the engineers said 1.5" higher. I feel like there are some real gains made by this and a few set backs. Let me explain. Most of the snow we were riding was really set up snow. It felt to me like the sled had excessive ski pressure and was difficult to steer in set up snow (much of this could likely be remedied by some tweaks to the suspension). But when I got to the off camber set up snow I seemed to lose all my confidence. I kept feeling like the sled wanted to pull me downhill. Much like the old complaints of the original xp chassis where people complained that on set up side hills the sled wanted to stand back up or pull back over. The first sled I rode the ski's were in the narrowest position and this was amplified. I then rode one with the skis in the mid position and it was noticeably better but I still wasn't sold on how the sled feels on set up snow. Now, once we got into the steep trees and softer un-tracked snow that is where the higher center of gravity shines. The transition of laying the sled over was noticeably easier. Carving the lines through the trees and changing elevations during a side hill was a breeze. This is where this chassis shines!

Now my thoughts on that last paragraph. To me, it seems this sled is purpose built (and obviously has a ton of input from Chris Burandt) for steep, technical, deep powder tree type riding (narrowed, panels, higher center of gravity, higher spindles for less drag on the arms and the tunnel is shallower allowing for the running boards to sit higher off the snow). Which, personally, I love. That's the type of terrain I love to play in. The one drawback I see is that not all riders thrive in that terrain or even want to go there AND that riding set up snow is the type of snow most riders spend their time riding in. Good powder days are hit and miss. I am afraid many beginner to intermediate riders will not like the way the sled handles in set up snow and the type of snow conditions that prevail most the year. I think the aggressive more advanced riders will love the chassis.

Unlike most the reviews so far, mine is not 100% positive. But it is 100% honest. I may not get another invite next year for it, but I feel it's important to represent it the way it is, both good and bad.

Honestly I can't wait till next winter where I can get more seat time in more varied snow conditions. However, I will have to get that seat time on either one of my rentals or a borrowed sled because I am not anxious to give up my T3 for the new Axyss until I see it's reliability proven along with a little more seat time.

mtnpull

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Heber City, Utah
www.uintarecreation.com
Oh, I forgot to mention that the skis have changed somewhat. Same gripper ski but the rubbers have changed to prevent them from pointing up in the air when you go off the ground. It will be a new part number, but ski design is the same minus the different rubber mount.

Also, the clutches, primary and secondary are all new. All new clutch belt. They changed the angles on the clutches, belt to match.

This is a big deal....one of my worst complaints about the stock pro skis, is getting stuffed instead of plowing through.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Do you know if the length of the skid shocks is the same as the ProRide RMK? :)
Looks mighty sweet this one, hope they have a Powder-coated tunnel for the LE edition ;)

I tried to get that information about all four shocks but could not get an answer.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
mtnpull - I know I could make my Pro have all those same traits simply by loosening the FTS. That adjustment is very sensitive and very consequential on a Pro, so I would GUESS that would be the same here. Any thoughts if you have played with that adjustment on your past Pro's?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
You say more to come on March 2nd.

Is what we are seeing on Polaris' website what is in the crate at West?

Any indication on extra options for those who snowcheck? Such as powder coated tunnel...

I don't know what's in that crate.

I honestly don't have a guess either.
My NDA didn't cover that one. :)

mtnpull

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Heber City, Utah
www.uintarecreation.com
mtnpull - I know I could make my Pro have all those same traits simply by loosening the FTS. That adjustment is very sensitive and very consequential on a Pro, so I would GUESS that would be the same here. Any thoughts if you have played with that adjustment on your past Pro's?

I specifically said that I felt that some of those traits could be remedied by suspension setup. The problem for many of the beginner to intermediate riders who will be purchasing is they rarely touch and make any adjustments, let alone know how to. On my Pro's I have personally ridden they all felt really good right from the dealer. With very little changes I had them dialed and rode with incredible confidence.

Remember too that we were riding the 16's for a couple hours only and set up by polaris engineers. I would think that would be an important thing for them to consider when setting up the machines prior to a demo that was specifically designed to provide rider feedback to the public. I wish I had time to do some tweaking while out on the mountain, but I did not.

Oh, and on my most recent 2013 Pro, I had the Fox upgrade kit with the evol and zero pro shocks on it.

Last edited:
J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I specifically said that I felt that some of those traits could be remedied by suspension setup. The problem for many of the beginner to intermediate riders who will be purchasing is they rarely touch and make any adjustments, let alone know how to. On my Pro's I have personally ridden they all felt really good right from the dealer. With very little changes I had them dialed and rode with incredible confidence.

Remember too that we were riding the 16's for a couple hours only and set up by polaris engineers. I would think that would be an important thing for them to consider when setting up the machines prior to a demo that was specifically designed to provide rider feedback to the public. I wish I had time to do some tweaking while out on the mountain, but I did not.

I did read that from you, and wasn't trying to discount it or cause offense....just expand on. As you said "many of the beginner to intermediate riders who will be purchasing is they rarely touch and make any adjustments, let alone know how to," so whenever anyone discusses a Pol that feels heavy on the front end, I always suspect that. I don't know how they were set up (obviously), I just know that the factory Pol settings always have the FTS much too soft for my preferences. It totally makes sense that you guys would have limited time with the sled, and not be able to make such adjustments.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Is the rider more rider forward than on a pro?the shorty axys went forward 4.5"

The front to back balance point is REALLY close. Maybe only SLIGHTLY different, and it could have been slightly forward.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Adam, I like what you are saying here and I can echo some of that.
I thought it had pretty comparable trail manners to the Pro RMK on the road/trail going in, but on the way out, I didn't feel the same way. It was not quite as easy to track and keep straight.
Front rail shock adjustment might help some of that...and the snow conditions were not favorable for this.

DZUZ FASTENERS GONE IS GOING TO GO OVER WELL. :)
Stripping down the plastic is an EASY task now.

So here is my run down.

Personally, I have been on a Pro for the last 4 seasons, but went to a T3 163 this year that I have absolutely loved in the limited seat time on it.

First, let me give you an idea of snow conditions, as that makes a big difference as to how the sled performs in given circumstances. Unfortunately the snow was NOT the perfect snow conditions to test a sled that is built to excel in deep western powder, and mountain terrain. It was difficult to find any un-tracked snow. Most of the snow was very set up and not forgiving at all. We did happen to find and get into a couple pulls in some steep tree lines where the snow still had a base but was much softer and better suited for testing the purpose of this machine.

Most of the technical features have already been discussed. I will reinforce the ones that I liked best and which stood out to me.

I tend to look at sleds a little differently due to the nature of my business. I have to wrench on sleds all the time fixing damages and trouble shooting problems. This sled you can literally strip off all the plastics and access the motor compartment in about 30 seconds. AWESOME!

The a arms are a huge upgrade over the bonded ones that often left people out on the mountain.

One of the single greatest performance upgrades is the motor performance. Who knows on the longevity....that still has to be seen. But the lightweight crank and how snappy that motor is on the low end is amazing. Really, AMAZING. I've been riding sleds for over 15 years aggressively and I nearly dumped myself off the sled a couple times because I was not expecting that instant power. This should translate into quicker lift onto the snow. Throttle pull was noticeably easier. This is a great upgrade to one of the Pro's biggest weaknesses.

The belt drive has been dropped and they went to a smaller set of drivers. I can only speculate that this means a 3" track to come in March. There is definitely plenty of room in there for one. The stock track seemed to work well with the snow conditions we had to work with.

One of the biggest changes to the way the sled handles and the change that I am the most on the fence about is the raised center of gravity. I think the engineers said 1.5" higher. I feel like there are some real gains made by this and a few set backs. Let me explain. Most of the snow we were riding was really set up snow. It felt to me like the sled had excessive ski pressure and was difficult to steer in set up snow (much of this could likely be remedied by some tweaks to the suspension). But when I got to the off camber set up snow I seemed to lose all my confidence. I kept feeling like the sled wanted to pull me downhill. Much like the old complaints of the original xp chassis where people complained that on set up side hills the sled wanted to stand back up or pull back over. The first sled I rode the ski's were in the narrowest position and this was amplified. I then rode one with the skis in the mid position and it was noticeably better but I still wasn't sold on how the sled feels on set up snow. Now, once we got into the steep trees and softer un-tracked snow that is where the higher center of gravity shines. The transition of laying the sled over was noticeably easier. Carving the lines through the trees and changing elevations during a side hill was a breeze. This is where this chassis shines!

Now my thoughts on that last paragraph. To me, it seems this sled is purpose built (and obviously has a ton of input from Chris Burandt) for steep, technical, deep powder tree type riding (narrowed, panels, higher center of gravity, higher spindles for less drag on the arms and the tunnel is shallower allowing for the running boards to sit higher off the snow). Which, personally, I love. That's the type of terrain I love to play in. The one drawback I see is that not all riders thrive in that terrain or even want to go there AND that riding set up snow is the type of snow most riders spend their time riding in. Good powder days are hit and miss. I am afraid many beginner to intermediate riders will not like the way the sled handles in set up snow and the type of snow conditions that prevail most the year. I think the aggressive more advanced riders will love the chassis.

Unlike most the reviews so far, mine is not 100% positive. But it is 100% honest. I may not get another invite next year for it, but I feel it's important to represent it the way it is, both good and bad.

Honestly I can't wait till next winter where I can get more seat time in more varied snow conditions. However, I will have to get that seat time on either one of my rentals or a borrowed sled because I am not anxious to give up my T3 for the new Axyss until I see it's reliability proven along with a little more seat time.

Last edited:

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership

My guess is that playing with the suspension on the Axys chassis will affect how it handles in specific situations BUT....

The lack of trail manners may be a side effect of raising the center of gravity.

Adam's point is valid that the new chassis may be intimidating to new riders on hard pack or groomed trail. Something he has to be concerned with because of his rental business.

I'm sure there will be a whole chorus of people saying it's, "too tippy" (probably lead by snowmobiler). Compared to other sleds out there, it's not a trail machine. It wasn't built to be.

This is a no compromise deep snow mountain machine.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Will my cover off my Pro fit the Axys? This is really a legit question, as another selling point for my wife of less stuff I need to buy.

My GUESS is yes.

If you wrap a tight sheet around this sled, it's barely going to look different.
I think with the slightly narrower profile of the sled, and lower and slimmer mountain strap...it could probably fit quite well.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Yes, as you stated earlier, pure mtn riders don't care about how it handles on the trails. What happens in the trees matters MUCH more.

The ProRMK now may be relegated to a 'mountain trail sled" because of this new Axys RMK. This new sled is not a trail sled.

My guess is that playing with the suspension on the Axys chassis will affect how it handles in specific situations BUT....

The lack of trail manners may be a side effect of raising the center of gravity.

Adam's point is valid that the new chassis may be intimidating to new riders on hard pack or groomed trail. Something he has to be concerned with because of his rental business.

I'm sure there will be a whole chorus of people saying it's, "too tippy" (probably lead by snowmobiler). Compared to other sleds out there, it's not a trail machine. It wasn't built to be.

This is a no compromise deep snow mountain machine.

Last edited:
J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Yes, as you stated earlier, pure mtn riders don't care about how it handles on the trails. What happens in the trees matters MUCH more.

The ProRMK maybe now be relegated to a 'mountain trail and sled" because of this new Axys RMK. This new sled is not a trail sled.
Awesome. With the upgraded shocks on my 2015, it took me a bit to get it dialed how I like. The day I left the truck and it was handling like absolute asss on the trail.....I knew it was sorted :lol:

I
Nov 26, 2007

The ProRMK maybe now be relegated to a 'mountain trail and sled" because of this new Axys RMK. This new sled is not a trail sled.

Nailed it. If I cared about trail manners I'd move east and buy a yamaha. I understand trails are an unavoidable evil for some to get to the mountains but I'm far more interested in the 90% of time off trail than 10% on. I also don't care what new riders think about on trail handling of a mountain sled.

S

snopromod

Nov 30, 2008
wy
Nailed it. If I cared about trail manners I'd move east and buy a yamaha. I understand trails are an unavoidable evil for some to get to the mountains but I'm far more interested in the 90% of time off trail than 10% on. I also don't care what new riders think about on trail handling of a mountain sled.

You and I think alot a like!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features