• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

T3 174 overheating on the trail...

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
So they didn't use the shorter cooler in the T3 ? I see the part number is different. I haven't looked on the production model yet just the proto demos.

T3 Front exchanger in front of drivers is same as 13 and 14 and Summit x and SP '15, the T3 has a reduction in the main tunnel heat exchanger the front half, which does very little of the cooling anyway, if it is overheating, it is boiler plate and most any other sled would as well...the prototypes did have a 50% reduction as well in the front but after testing it day one engineers knew they could not do that.

R
Aug 1, 2014
I also had an overheating issue on my last ride, granted the conditions were hard pack. But I have ridden worse conditions on my M8 without issues in the past. Two sets of scratchers might be a must...

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
One thing is actual radiator size, but I think the reduction in actual coolant from the smaller rad must also play a role in cooling on low snow trails

Then add the three inch track and more snow kicked out the back with less for cooling on the rads could be the difference from last year...

T3 Front exchanger in front of drivers is same as 13 and 14 and Summit x and SP '15, the T3 has a reduction in the main tunnel heat exchanger the front half, which does very little of the cooling anyway, if it is overheating, it is boiler plate and most any other sled would as well...the prototypes did have a 50% reduction as well in the front but after testing it day one engineers knew they could not do that.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
One thing is actual radiator size, but I think the reduction in actual coolant from the smaller rad must also play a role in cooling on low snow trails

Then add the three inch track and more snow kicked out the back with less for cooling on the rads could be the difference from last year...

The piping is still there....as it has to get to the back of the tunnel from the front, so it is less coolant but in testing it made no difference compared to a 14, in very hard conditions a summit x or summit sp can overheat as well....even with scratchers...as if it is super hard even the scratchers are not kicking up much...lucky these are rare conditions in the mountains.....

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
If you are experiencing over heating do not turn off the sled. Pull over and let your coolant cycle for a few minutes while at idle. Turning off the sled suddenly will only increase internal temps since the coolant is no longer cycling.

If this becomes a problem in the spring time when snow is hard or if your like many who have to ride in 5 miles plus on hard pack to get to the mountains you might try an additive called "Water Wetter" drag racers have used this for years in place of antifreeze to keep engine temps cool.

DPG

S
Dec 5, 2010
Sḵwxwú7mesh, BC
Mt 163 t3 runs way hotter and has overheated on trails where a buddy's 2015 163 non-t3 is running at regular temps... both with the same scratchers and both going the same speed

i guess i need to add another set of scratchers

P

pfi572

Nov 29, 2009
North West Alberta
Didn't your dealers tell you that the T3s are not made for trail riding they are a deep snow machine.

Duh !!! You drop yours out if a helicopter into perfect snow?
Come on ? You still have to ride trails to get into the good powder.
3 inch tracks are a pain to keep the sled running cool plain and simple on any kind of hard pack.

T
Sep 1, 2014
Duh !!! You drop yours out if a helicopter into perfect snow?
Come on ? You still have to ride trails to get into the good powder.
3 inch tracks are a pain to keep the sled running cool plain and simple on any kind of hard pack.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones I don't have to ride trail to get to the deep snow.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Unless your luck enought to get a dump from the staging area every time you sled... For the rest of us it could be no snow or hard pack groomed trailer for a few miles

one of the reasons I increased cooling on latest chassie rather than decreasing

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
The piping is still there....as it has to get to the back of the tunnel from the front, so it is less coolant but in testing it made no difference compared to a 14, in very hard conditions a summit x or summit sp can overheat as well....even with scratchers...as if it is super hard even the scratchers are not kicking up much...lucky these are rare conditions in the mountains.....

My 146 Freeride had overheating issues on ONE ride last year, everyone was hot. (Happens to be the same ice road where people are overheating their T3 sleds this year.)

TJ427

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2012
Bismarck, ND
I love it that the 'bad' threads in the Doo section are related to minor things like overheating on a firm trail vs. blowing belts/engines. What a great problem to have vs. the other brands. I am happy to deal with that to gain the fun of riding a 3 inch track!

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I love it that the 'bad' threads in the Doo section are related to minor things like overheating on a firm trail vs. blowing belts/engines. What a great problem to have vs. the other brands. I am happy to deal with that to gain the fun of riding a 3 inch track!

Lol. That is funny. I have been Dooing again since 2013, and I got used to the lack of problems. I tried a 2014 M9000 last year, blew a belt in 50 miles. SAME day that I took my Freeride out, pushing soft snow over the hood for an hour at a time. Of course the Cat blew the belt, but I realized after that the Doos are pretty good and that it is something I don't even think about any more!

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Just for reference:
We went out Sunday, my 174 T3, 2x 2015 Freeride 154s, a 2014 Summit 154, and a 2015 Pro 163.
Trail conditions were poor to good. Really hard a lot of the way. It took a long time (scratchers down) to get above 4 bars with my T3. When I saw 6 bars the group had already stopped, as one of the Freerides (no scratchers) was very very hot. Mine cooled down as soon as I popped off trail and did some stop/goes to get snow moving around. The Freeride took quite a while to cool down doing the same thing.
My baseline is a Freeride with no scratchers, that is what I have run for 2-3 years now. Based on the 55 miles we ran, a T3 with scratchers will stay much cooler than a 154 Summit or Freeride with none. That is plenty good for me, I won't run a trail worse than what we ran Sunday.
(And coming down 2-3 hours later, the trail was slightly softer, none of us had issues running fast.)
ALSO, I looked at a sled at the shop today with 43 miles, the hifax had CONSIDERABLE wear from about a foot from the back all the way to the scratchers. With the 3" track, I think hifax wear is going to be a real problem if we don't stick to the soft stuff. I haven't looked at my sled yet to see the hifax wear.

Premium Features