• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

wha do you guys reccomend for big bores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juggs

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
getting a 174 T-3 and thing of a 880 kit. i ride mountains and low elevation.. whos kit do you reccomend SHR , Kelseys or Trygstadd,, pros and cons

thanks

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
Call Arounds

getting a 174 T-3 and thing of a 880 kit. i ride mountains and low elevation.. whos kit do you reccomend SHR , Kelseys or Trygstadd,, pros and cons

thanks

Jugs, I have been watching and listening for sometime and it sounds like Trygstadd has it all dialed in and working with no history of issues which I know is not the case for Kelsey's Kit which has had many published failures of which the word on the street is that he always claims it was bad fuel. As for the SHR I have only heard the power was not as good as Trygstadd but the jury is still out on the reliability and it doesn't sound bad to date. Honestly I would call the network of dealers for more feedback.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Jugs, I have been watching and listening for sometime and it sounds like Trygstadd has it all dialed in and working with no history of issues which I know is not the case for Kelsey's Kit which has had many published failures of which the word on the street is that he always claims it was bad fuel. As for the SHR I have only heard the power was not as good as Trygstadd but the jury is still out on the reliability and it doesn't sound bad to date. Honestly I would call the network of dealers for more feedback.

^^^^^

Nothing more to say

F
Aug 17, 2009
I am currently having a big bore built for my sled, 2014 RS and I went with SHR. I called the three listed above and hands down he has the best customer service. Because of what I want it is not your standerd job, he worked with the guys building my custom pipes and made sure his specs worked with theirs. He was honest on estimated horsepower and did not try to sell me something I did not want, you can't go wrong with SHR.

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
I am currently having a big bore built for my sled, 2014 RS and I went with SHR. I called the three listed above and hands down he has the best customer service. Because of what I want it is not your standerd job, he worked with the guys building my custom pipes and made sure his specs worked with theirs. He was honest on estimated horsepower and did not try to sell me something I did not want, you can't go wrong with SHR.

Amen, Brother! .......and a one stop shop that can doo it all from chassis mods to custom motor packages. We all have our favorites and this one is mine :face-icon-small-ton

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
So I had this big long rant typed and deleted it. I'm a SHR cheerleader and would go 880. I've visited w/ Kelsey when modding my old Rev. Don't think his and my personalities would work. The only thing I don't really like as far as Trygstad are the "facts" on his site. He has the right to his opinion and why he chose to build the way he wants, but it really seems to try and discredit all the other builders. There is enough other different big bores out there to make the "facts" bunk. His sight and right, so I don't get to worried about it. I'd ride a 872, just wouldn't have one built for myself. First impressions I guess.

If I was to pick simply by failure rate, the 872 etecs around here are at 100%. Bore size I suspect (insert sarcasm). No RKT or SHR etecs to compare w/ but never heard of a RKT or SHR etec going down. We all ride the carb version but 872 does not have more power. All very comparable that way. Setup will get you what you want out of any the motors.

Give them all a call, and go w/ who you feel most comfortable w/.

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
So I had this big long rant typed and deleted it. I'm a SHR cheerleader and would go 880. I've visited w/ Kelsey when modding my old Rev. Don't think his and my personalities would work. The only thing I don't really like as far as Trygstad are the "facts" on his site. He has the right to his opinion and why he chose to build the way he wants, but it really seems to try and discredit all the other builders. There is enough other different big bores out there to make the "facts" bunk. His sight and right, so I don't get to worried about it. I'd ride a 872, just wouldn't have one built for myself. First impressions I guess.

If I was to pick simply by failure rate, the 872 etecs around here are at 100%. Bore size I suspect (insert sarcasm). No RKT or SHR etecs to compare w/ but never heard of a RKT or SHR etec going down. We all ride the carb version but 872 does not have more power. All very comparable that way. Setup will get you what you want out of any the motors.

Give them all a call, and go w/ who you feel most comfortable w/.

I agree power wise ... it's there just fined it dial it.I'm a Trygstad cheerleader he's done several motors for me he's doing 3 872's and porting 2 800's for me as we speak ,and I've had zero failures in his product as well .Cheers

Last edited:
S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
I think I may have worded my failure rate where it could be interpreted either way. Both 872 motors failed. Even though that may sound bad, I think they are still a reliable package. Fluke deal on one and the other sounded like it may have been self inflicted. They would not be selling the way they are otherwise.

Hey, Tukernator, any of the ported ones going to be running twins and full race gas setup? I think one of Dave's packages setup like that would be a blast. Probably not the longest living or practical, but some of the Trygstad built hill climb sleds look like they scream.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
The only thing I don't really like as far as Trygstad are the "facts" on his site. He has the right to his opinion and why he chose to build the way he wants, but it really seems to try and discredit all the other builders. There is enough other different big bores out there to make the "facts" bunk. His sight and right, so I don't get to worried about it. I'd ride a 872, just wouldn't have one built for myself. First impressions I guess.

This is my issue with Trygstad as well. I don't like ANYONE that uses the "Only my way works, and all the others don't" sales pitch.

For my "opinion" I would run a SHR motor but for you definately give them all a call, and go w/ who you feel most comfortable w/.[/QUOTE]

greeneman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2001
Fairbanks Alaska
Yep call all three and talk to them about where you ride and the things that they offer. That being said I love my 872. It has been from sea level to 8000 foot and has never missed a beat.

800Gader

Premium Member
Apr 16, 2005
Wisconsin
SHR

I have not had experience with the others, because I've had no reason to go elsewhere. And, as stated before, customer service has been great.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
Be nice to see a chart with all 3 side by side...

.... maybe list hp, bore size, pistons (cast or forged), warranty time, price, fuel selection, compression, etc...

Ace

J

jvb

Nov 26, 2007
Be nice to see a chart with all 3 side by side...

.... maybe list hp, bore size, pistons (cast or forged), warranty time, price, fuel selection, compression, etc...

Ace

Warranty lol. Think the warranty is done the minute it ships out the door.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
It's wishful thinking, I know!

... although I would be MORE inclined to purchase a BB kit IF the builder would stand behind his product for an amount of time. ..

Ace

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
Claimed Power Upgrades

I would love to hear from some one who has Dyno results before just for reference so see what the actual change was and honestly who cares if it is and 860, 872, or 880 if the power and reliability are true and proven.

Warranty wise do any of the manufacturers make any claims of some sort of warrany coverage by time or miles? Obviously they can only warranty what the sell and install but has anyone had this kind of situation happen or a discussion with any of the fore mentioned manufacturers?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
It's wishful thinking, I know!

... although I would be MORE inclined to purchase a BB kit IF the builder would stand behind his product for an amount of time. ..

Ace

No kidding, seeing what Indy dan has done lately, it makes me wonder how others haven't followed. (btw, I've seen two instances where he stood TALL to take care of customers, amazed at what he did, his warranty is the real deal)

I've heard of a few more 872 failures that people didn't want to post on here... IMO they all fail here & there, it all comes down to who stands behind their stuff (and the ones I saw, they didn't stand behind the 872, which is a bummer... if one steps ahead of the others, the others will generally step forward as well)

Pick whichever one has a nearby dealer/ shop that will support you, and go for it.

Last edited:
S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
I just don't see a warranty being offered unless all motors are assembled and installed by the builder. I thought Dave was working that way w/ the dealer networks but not sure how the details of the agreement works. If some sort of warranty if either parts or labor that is a good step forward and congrats to Dave.

Now back on topic w/ pros and cons. Really don't think there is a lot of cons w/ any of the builders discussed so far.

I had what I consider a major pro in my opinion w/ SHR.

When I assembled the 880, I was fighting RPM issues. Gave it some time to get motor broke in and made sure my clutching was in good shape. Still fighting rpm. Called BJ, discussed motor setup (BJ did not try to throw clutching as the culprit, I think that's a plus, no finger pointing). Verified what I had for jetting, reeds, cans, etc. All should work. Said I better check squish, found the problem. He had the gasket to correct and paid for the overnight shipping to get me taken care of. No cost to me. Motor looked beautiful when opened up by the way. Buddy w/ a couple of beers and some tools and were up and running again. Had about 400 miles on it by that point. Couldn't be happier w/ his customer service.

S

ShaneO

Dec 4, 2007
Chilliwack,BC
www.oconnorgroup.com
Anyway I have an 872 and ran absolutely perfect all year. Pick who you feel best and go. Dave has always been good help and answered all my questions. Has my cylinder currently to hone and send me new pistons as it's going in my 174. Wouldn't ride a stocker after having mine last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features