• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Well... I was on the fence for a bit.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Anything made for the masses can be made better. Just because you don't think they need modded for yourself doesn't other might see something that needs improved for their benefit. For instance, the shocks on all the sleds suck from the factory. The harder you push them the more they suck. Some need new shocks and some need springs and a valve job. Air frames are better, bar none. Polaris has a pretty solid ski but the others can benefit from skis. A 3 inch track will let you go way farther although there are a thing or two about it I don't like. Clutching on any new sled will make a difference. Need I go on. If you are happy with your sled that is great but to get on here and tell someone they don't need something because you don't need it is either ignorant or arrogant. I guess some kids are happy with their toys and some want better or different.

1. Shocks from the factory don't suck you just have to re-valve them to suit your riding style.. $1000.00 shocks need setup as well

2. Air frames don't take you higher on the hill, boon dock or side hill better.

3. Ski's on the Poo, Cat & Doo work pretty good in the deep snow, boon docking and side hilling

4. A 2.5 track goes every where a 3.0 track goes.

5. Clutching is like you suspension you need to setup both to perform in the condition your riding.

People have to say something to feel gratification for all the extra money they just spent even though none of the bolt on's mentioned are a real game changer.

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
1. Shocks from the factory don't suck you just have to re-valve them to suit your riding style.. $1000.00 shocks need setup as well

2. Air frames don't take you higher on the hill, boon dock or side hill better.

3. Ski's on the Poo, Cat & Doo work pretty good in the deep snow, boon docking and side hilling

4. A 2.5 track goes every where a 3.0 track goes.

5. Clutching is like you suspension you need to setup both to perform in the condition your riding.

People have to say something to feel gratification for all the extra money they just spent even though none of the bolt on's mentioned are a real game changer.
1. I believe I said the shocks need set up or revalved. I guess that is what I mean by sucks. All shocks need valved or sprung for weight and style but aftermarket are better.

2. There are better skis out there. grippers are awesome.

3. Airframes will get you higher or farther. If you slip off the sled you can't ride it. They are better than any of the boards bar none. If you have never slipped off then you are riding trails.

4. A 3 inch will climb higher. I havn't just seen one or heard of one I have had one.

5. None of these things are a game changer but little things add up. Skinz arc is probably a game changer, in my book, but I havn't tried it. I like the concept. You make it sound like a factory sled is as good as it gets.I'm here to tell you that is bs. I can have fun on a stock sled but a sled with a few mods is more fun.

6. My point is you are happy with average stuff,and by average I mean stock. I'm not saying that is bad, but I and others are not. I don't need you or anyone telling me what to do with my money. I don't care whether you think it needs it or not. I don't care whether you think it is a waste of money. I don't care if you don't use the brake when sledding. I don't care whether you think it is not a game changer. I don't care if your business card says DPG BACKCOUNTRY ADVENTURE.

A
Jan 9, 2014
Fairbanks, AK
Hold on everyone!!

We have yet to get his definition of the words "game changer"?

by game changer do you mean a new titanium engine that has 200hp stock or a sled that only weighs 400 lbs stock?

are you implying game changers that cost 15K plus the new sled and you think it should just be free?

game changers and money go hand in hand dont they? or did your parents set you up with a trust fund for new sleds but ONLY if you kept them stock?

60 lbs of weight lost sounds good you want a real game changer throw a turbo on top and you have a MOD sled.. not a waste of money, I mean its not an investment you are going to see a ROI on however I hope you are not in this sport for an ROI

just my 1 cent...
saving the other cent for later date.

S
Jan 13, 2009
kelso washington
stupid comment about lack of skill

Good riders can swing there leg over any mountain sled and shred the snow. All this squawking about which mountain sled gets up on the snow better just goes to show how so many riders lack skill...My XM is like having sex with my wife I bang the sh*t out of my XM with a smile every time I mount her.

some people are old and tired a better machine keeps them out there and doing this I ride with guys around my neighborhood whose age range from 58-77 all very capable backcountry

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
some people are old and tired a better machine keeps them out there and doing this I ride with guys around my neighborhood whose age range from 58-77 all very capable backcountry

Even a younger guy... if you have a lighter, easier to use (for you) machine, can push harder longer with less fatigue. I'm not in my 20's, but not "old" either... I just want a sled to feel as ideal as I can get it for me. Just because we're making changes doesn't mean it sucked before... just that it can be better or more suited to a rider's ideal needs.

I rode with a guy on a prolite who was 65 or so a few weekends ago, he said he bought that sled so that he could keep doing the things he was doing 10 years ago on a stocker. We all have our reasons for making changes, and they're not all the same.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
1. I believe I said the shocks need set up or revalved. I guess that is what I mean by sucks. All shocks need valved or sprung for weight and style but aftermarket are better.

2. There are better skis out there. grippers are awesome.

3. Airframes will get you higher or farther. If you slip off the sled you can't ride it. They are better than any of the boards bar none. If you have never slipped off then you are riding trails.

4. A 3 inch will climb higher. I havn't just seen one or heard of one I have had one.

5. None of these things are a game changer but little things add up. Skinz arc is probably a game changer, in my book, but I havn't tried it. I like the concept. You make it sound like a factory sled is as good as it gets.I'm here to tell you that is bs. I can have fun on a stock sled but a sled with a few mods is more fun.

6. My point is you are happy with average stuff,and by average I mean stock. I'm not saying that is bad, but I and others are not. I don't need you or anyone telling me what to do with my money. I don't care whether you think it needs it or not. I don't care whether you think it is a waste of money. I don't care if you don't use the brake when sledding. I don't care whether you think it is not a game changer. I don't care if your business card says DPG BACKCOUNTRY ADVENTURE.

I don't care how much money you feel you need to spend to keep you smiling while riding your sled. If your feet slip of the running boards that's not the sleds fault. All I'm saying is 2014 bone stock Pro, XM or M8 will go any where and every where your sled will go with All your bolt on's added.

When you hit a rock and total your sled like you have done thats is not the sleds fault either.

DPG

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Having a WEAK AZZ front end that can't handle a hit IS the sled's fault... and anyone with a brain can easily help that problem along by getting weaker arms and making the sled stronger.

Again... you stick to that bone stock sled, and those of us that ride enough to see reasons to make changes will do just that.

Just used the "ignore" feature for the first time ever... oh man... that is pretty cool!

Last edited:
D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Having a WEAK AZZ front end that can't handle a hit IS the sled's fault... and anyone with a brain can easily help that problem along by getting weaker arms and making the sled stronger.

Again... you stick to that bone stock sled, and those of us that ride enough to see reasons to make changes will do just that.

Just used the "ignore" feature for the first time ever... oh man... that is pretty cool!

You hit a rock total your front end and it's the sleds fault.
Your feet slip off the cheese grate running boards that's the sleds fault.
You bend your handle bars because you land wrong that's the sleds fault.

Do you ever take responsibility for any of the dumb azz sh*t you do ? Sound to me like you blame all your f*ck ups on everyone else and than run to your insurance company begging for mercy.

Last edited:
A
Jan 9, 2014
Fairbanks, AK
You hit a rock total your front end and it's the sleds fault.
Your feet slip off the cheese grate running boards that's the sleds fault.
You bend your handle bars because you land wrong that's the sleds fault.

Do you ever take responsibility for any of the dumb azz sh*t you do ? Sound to me like you blame all your f*ck ups on everyone else and than run to your insurance company begging for mercy.

If you aren't going to use insurance when you break something what the hell is insurance for?

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I always saw the "mods" others were doing to their sleds as "personal preferences" unless it was motor related. But not even bolt-on stuff is classified as a "mod" to me. All of that is simply what it takes to make your sled fit you like a glove. Swapping motors, blow dryers, nitrous, those are mods.(Harkens back to my racing days and how sanctioning bodies classify the races I guess)

And in doing these little personal adjustments, makes the person riding the machine more capable, and in turn makes the machine more capable.

There are a lot of machines that many people can ride to their limits. Add these preferences, and both the machine, and persons limits can grow. (Don't add your little quips about Burandt or Pro-RMK's, I don't wanna hear it, none of us are Burandt but many of us can ride a stock Pro to it's limits in a multitude of scenarios)

I had a new 06 Rev, an 07 Rev, 08 XP, 09 XP, and 10 XP. All demo sleds. Sure I rode them bone stock for a time, but for every little change I made, it got me closer to the end goal of pushing me and machine to a height we couldn't get to before.
From changing risers, grips, bar bend, exhaust to suspensions, tracks, big bores etc. Every change was made for the better, even the grips. Stock ones were too small for me, with a bigger grip I could ride harder, for longer, and being comfortable is the name of the game on any motorized machine.

For those that cannot "feel" small changes, no need to worry, my boss who had ridden for 30+ years couldn't tell the difference between a 144 and a 162. Meanwhile I can feel a few clicks of the clickers on my shocks, the difference a few degrees in helix angle affects how it reacts, etc. If you're not at that level, not to worry, you either have not the experience, or focus more on the experience sledding gives you overall.

Some of it is a head game, and some of it really does work!

Burandt's sled won't fit me perfect, and won't allow me to ride to my potential. Likewise, my sled is not perfect for Chris, and it wouldn't let him ride to his potential either.

If an OEM stumbled apon a "perfect combo" for you, then GREAT! That's newsworthy for them, but they don't go out to create "the perfect sled" but only one that meets the needs of a vast array of the average person. If you ended up landing square in the middle of that bullseye, then all the power to ya. Such is not the case with others. Hence the reason we "alter" our sleds.

Much like my dirtbikes, I'm not going thru the whoops like Justin Brayton did in Phoenix this past weekend, but I'm gettig my suspension revalved all the same because the OEM, as good of a job they do, didn't get it right for me. Does this mean I can ride my bike to its potential? Nope, not at all, but the bike won't reach its potential being valved for a 155lbs person when I'm north of 200. Still doesn't mean I can blitz the whoops in a AMA Supercross. But it makes it easier to do the things I know I can do, and those things that I have yet to find the limits to do on a bike.
Now I'm no hero on a bike, and I can't really tell many differences like others can, some rebound here, some dampening there, if the change is substantial, then I'll notice it, if it's incremental, I have no idea something was changed. Put on any new tire on my bike and I'll never know the difference, front or rear. I'm just not that good yet(unless you swap me out a trails tire for single track - HUGE difference)

To re-iterate my previous point, if the joy of sledding overpowers your sense for the little things, THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. However there are people such as myself, that do focus on the little things. And once you ride a stocker, and then ride our "stockers" you'll notice that no two machines are alike.

Last edited:

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Ok let's see if I can hit on a few of these....

Now your trying state that because you ride them harder you find minimal shortcomings that they have...the more you push them the more you see what can be done to make them even better than they already are Is Just A Bunch Of Bull Sh*t.
THIS IS HOW THINGS WORK. PEDAL BIKES, MOTORBIKES, CARS, TRUCKS, SNOWMOBILES, ETC ETC. RIDING A SLED AT 80%, YOU MAY NEVER ENCOUNTER A PROBLEM, BUT PUSH THAT EXTRA 20% AND YOU'LL FIND MANY SHORTCOMINGS. WITH ANY SLED. ASK ANY PROFESSIONAL, IN ANY SPORT.

Take for instance a 2014 XM bone stock out of the box the sled rocks. The harder you push the XM the better it performs. UNTIL IT DOESN'T

Take for instance a 2014 Pro bone stock out of the box the sled rocks. The harder you push the Pro the better it performs. UNTIL IT DOESN'T

Take for instance a 2014 M8 bone stock out of the box the sled rocks. The harder you push the M8 the better it performs. UNTIL IT DOESN'T

Excluding a turbo tell me one mod that you would add to any of the 3-2014 sleds mentioned that when riding in deep snow would be the mod to have that would make these new hot rod sled perform substantial better ? I CAN'T ANSWER FOR YOU, BUT FOR MYSELF:
XM - BETTER INTAKE FOR STARTERS(design snafu if I've ever seen one)
PC - SKIS(YUP, ADD A SET OF SLP'S OR C&A'S AND I FEEL LIKE I COULD CONCUR THE WORLD ON A PC. STOCK SKIS GIVE ME NO SUCH CONFIDENCE
PRO - A MOTOR, THE CHASSIS REMINDS ME OF WHAT A 400LBS MACHINE SHOULD HANDLE LIKE, BUT THAT DAMN MOTOR....ARE WE RIDING 600'S OR 800'S?

DPG
REEB

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Good riders don't b*tch or complain we are happy to be out riding regardless of brand. The the only ignorance that is apparent here are those who are complaining about which is a better sled the XM or the Pro. Maybe you need to get laid more to keep your mind off of which sled is better.

You either suffer from memory lose and completely forget when sleds weighed 700# wet OR Your just a newbie complaining about a whole bunch of nothing and can't even appreciate the advancements that ALL mountains sleds have made over the years. I don't read about ANYONE appreciating what All the OEM's have done with these sleds just a bunch of drama queen b*itching and complaining

I have a complete appreciation for the advancements that each and every manufacture has made in the mountain segment and when I swing my leg over any of them I orgazim with joy every mile I'm out riding. And yes there is a parallel between good sex and good snowmobiling. Ride them hard and enjoy every minute of it. My good buddy has named his new AC sled BTP which stands for Better Than P*ssy

People who ride a lot complain the least.

DPG

I honestly think this guy is Tetonice. I'd bet money on it. Like, a lot.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I don't care how much money you feel you need to spend to keep you smiling while riding your sled. If your feet slip of the running boards that's not the sleds fault. All I'm saying is 2014 bone stock Pro, XM or M8 will go any where and every where your sled will go with All your bolt on's added.

When you hit a rock and total your sled like you have done thats is not the sleds fault either.

DPG

Where do you pull this stuff from? I have never totaled a sled. A stock sled will not go where my sled goes. You don't even know what is on my sled or what is in it. Nobody on here does. If I slip off a sled it is because I have lost traction on the running boards so yes it is the boards that is why I put rassmussen airframes on and yes it will go further because you don't have wide azz running boards dragging in the snow. You need to get off the trail and then maybe you will understand the concept. If you lighten a sled up a stock one will not go the same places. Try putting a mark with a 130 pound guy versus 225 pound guy. There is 30-40 feet with the same sled. This isn't my first rodeo. There are always the people that can't make stuff work and cry junk and the ones that make it work. There are a few people that had belt drives and thought they were garbage. I assure you they are not. I have had a few. Were they a game changer,No.Are they worth it? That is up to the buyer and not you! You should listen a little instead of running your mouth all the time and maybe you might learn something because you obviously don't know because you have never tried any of this stuff. Yeah, I have seen or heard or whatever. You don't know if you don't try it yourself. At the very least you wouldn't come across as so ignorant or arrogant with a bunch of dense thrown in. Have a nice day.

A
Jan 9, 2014
Fairbanks, AK
This type of reasoning is exactly why insurance rates are so high. Why should everyone have to pay for guys who f*ck up ?

DPG

Umm because thats how insurance works..

Ok let me get this straight. you have insurance that you pay a premium for then you wreck your sled. you are trying to tell me you aren't going to report it to insurance? how ignorant are you? Insurance is so high because not only inflation but also our toys cost a lot more. if you dont like high premiums and the security that come with them then go ahead and stop your insurance

also its not like he is scamming the insurance company I doubt he ran his brand new sled into a rock on purpose.

It is not just this thread any time I see you post you are bashing someones opinions in some way or another. get off your high horse. unless you are a pro rider that wins championships at the national level with a stock sled shut up already

you are not going to win this, although you might be like an immature child simply trying to get a rise out of your peers.

no one wants to hear how you like to sex up your sled, nor your wife

I dont know if you are this much of a jacka$$ in real life but if so I am personally sorry for anyone who has to deal with you. :frusty:

Last edited:
D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
You guys simply fail to admit and or appreciate that the manufactures have made huge advancements in there lineup of mountain sleds and continue to fault the manufacturer. For mass produced sleds the manufacturers have done a great job.

I don't believe the new XM, Pro or M8 were built for the average rider in mind not even close. These new sleds right out of the box rip. Not only do they rip they can be pushed harder than many people know how to ride.

Honda , Yamaha, Kawasaski & Suzuki dirt bikes rip out of the box as well and can also be pushed harder than most guys know how to ride.

DPG

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Umm because thats how insurance works..

Ok let me get this straight. you have insurance that you pay a premium for then you wreck your sled. you are trying to tell me you aren't going to report it to insurance? how ignorant are you? Insurance is so high because not only inflation but also our toys cost a lot more. if you dont like high premiums and the security that come with them then go ahead and stop your insurance

also its not like he is scamming the insurance company I doubt he ran his brand new sled into a rock on purpose.

It is not just this thread any time I see you post you are bashing someones opinions in some way or another. get off your high horse. unless you are a pro rider that wins championships at the national level with a stock sled shut up already

you are not going to win this, although you might be like an immature child simply trying to get a rise out of your peers.

no one wants to hear how you like to sex up your sled, nor your wife

I dont know if you are this much of a jacka$$ in real life but if so I am personally sorry for anyone who has to deal with you. :frusty:

Only an idiot like yourself thinks that's how insurance works. Every time you wreck your sled your car on anything you insure your rate goes up. Your insurance sees you as a liability...Your not rewarded by your insurance for wrecking your toys.

DPG

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Deep Powder Guy
This message is hidden because Deep Powder Guy is on your ignore list.

This is awesome.

Not sure what he's saying in the rest of the posts, but it just doesn't annoy me anymore. I might have to use this feature again.

Btw, most hits that are under 2k I fix myself FYI, I don't give a crap about anyone else's rates, but I don't need MY rates to go up, so I don't tend to make claims for little stuff. This situation I didn't think ahead about how the insurance company was going to look the very minor damage which I looked at as normal wear, and once it was done, there wasn't any going back. Either way, I've got a spare sled, and the chance to start over again with a new sled, and change the few things I wish I had changed in the first place.

Premium Features