• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Well... I was on the fence for a bit.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
bent the bars and took it back.LOL

I'm sure they'll give me a price for them... bars are cheap though. Maybe spending another 10k buys me a set of bars???? We'll see! I don't expect to bring something back damaged & not pay for it though.

Added it up & I've got about 18k miles on cats/ vertical steering setups, and 853 on a doo since late april last year... IMO that says a lot about the XM that it feels so natural so quickly.

C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
Only if it is a 163, otherwise theere''s lots that need to be done to them :face-icon-small-ton

Like a long track...lol

I'm sorry, I couldn't help it. Shame on me.

Backcountry, Insurance bites the big one. I'm dealing with 2 different insurance company's right now for a claim for my business......talk about slam your nutz in a desk drawer. That sucks that they won't re insure it for you without a full over haul.

E
Feb 20, 2013
GP, alberta
well i can say that i am a pretty die hard doo fan and won't buy anything else anytime soon... i reeeeally love my new xm... that being said though i can always appreciate what other brands do and appreciate a good review of another brand too. even though I don't like cats, thanks for the review backcountry, it was a good read, and quite interesting. nice pics too!!!

B

blk9038

Aug 8, 2011
puyallup/edgewood
You should buy back your wrecked sled from the insurance company. A guy on dootalk just went through the same thing. He ended up buying his tweaked wrecked xm freeride back for 1800$

You need to buy back that sled Backcountry afterall you wrecked your sled a few weeks after i wrecked mine and you were major in reengineering the stuff and sharing with all of us.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
leave ur xm stock... it will have zero problems and ride like a dream.

It's staying "kinda" stock. For me coming from turbos with another 50 lbs taken off them, and 1000's with about 70+ lbs removed... KINDA stock is pretty low key.

The bogging on the XM is horrendous... and the last thing I'll do is suck in underhood heated air with the slp things... no grassyass. Already got the Diamond S hood, it's working AWESOME, not a single concern on the over hood days since, I'm stoked with how well it works.

Got a pair of gripper skis here on my floor that are going on the 14, got a pair of skegs without carbides on the way for them.

Little stuff like Quick clickers, goggle bags... ergo crap.

Float 3's on front with thicker oil & revalved x shocks in rear with MUCH heavier compression damping.

I modified the X package riser a few nights ago so that it will drop down another 3/8", Might drop a little more. I found the difference from a 4" riser to 5" riser too much for me oddly enough, the mechanics change significantly with a little bit of elbow bend

1526779_10201458062395544_583697010_n.jpg

The fact that I'm running a 7/8" bar makes this a little easier to get without as much machining, but it could be done with a 1-1/8" bar as well. I'll need the spacers like what rox has inside the bar end of these, but that's an easy thing to source.
Rox-2inch.jpg

Rear foot step thingies... I use the back of the sled a lot, they hold a bit of snow, but I like how I can kick them to tail turn a bit easier than stock.
1469919_10201261401399142_1259614915_n.jpg

Fett bros belly brace or the Racewerx bumper & GNR upper A arm braces

Alternative impact A arms, with mild steel rod ends that I'm hoping will bend with hits like others have said.

C3 post forward kit, unless I can talk Skinz into selling it without the post as I don't need it with the DS hood.

RPM composites belly pan/ drivetrain skidplate (with this, the minor hits that caused this whole brewhaha would have been a non issue. it would have been likely a SCRATCH on an aftermarket part. Also hearing people tearing off their coolers sounds like fun & all... but this seems like a killer idea to me

HPS can

And the throttle installed the proper direction... they put it on backwards at the factory... how strange ;)

BDX antistab wheels instead of the stock idlers. You gain a cross shaft, and lose the weak cantilevered wheels that can bend your rails.

BDX LEDLight bar mounted to riser down low

SO... pretty stock really. The main thing for me is not messing with the motor much.

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
You need to buy back that sled Backcountry afterall you wrecked your sled a few weeks after i wrecked mine and you were major in reengineering the stuff and sharing with all of us.

It never left my yard! Took pics, got estimate, made a call, check is on it's way and the sled stayed right here!

Just waiting for a cooler right now!

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
So do you do anything besides flip the throttle block around?

Well... no... but, but... it just felt so weird before that!!

Oh yeah, found some new super cheap handguards... got some "Tusk" brand ones from rocky mtn atv I'm putting on. Stoked to see how they do... hard to beat a super solid barkbuster with a good windshield for 45 bucks.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
finger throttle is the bomb on my standup jet skis. I always wanted to do that on my sled but I have never found any bark buster types that I like. The ones I tried were to tight.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
I've thought about this before but was always worried about it going throughout trees.

Several years ago I had an XC600 trail machine that I put a twist grip throttle on, I loved it. If I ever had to go back to trail riding I would do it again in a second!

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Oh yeah... you have to space the standoff on cats at least about 3/8" to make them work. Most kits come with 2 sets of bar inserts and you can use one of the pieces as the spacer.

On a sled it takes a little creativity... with the metal ones you need a little vice time, and the plastic ones, like the rally series from acerbis, go on pretty darn easy.

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
BCIL......just curious how much time you have on the pros, and what your thoughts are. I have never given them an honest chance. Ridden a couple for 15 minutes here and there and really really dont like them. Im sure I would get used to it with a little more time.

I get a kick out of the view (from pro riders) that they are a night and day better technical mountain riding chassis. I will admit they work good. They get up on top of the snow the best, they are light, and they dont hang up in the snow. But I completely disagree that they are a "better" mountain chassis. I think they are easier to ride for less aggressive riders. I think the XM/XP are more difficult to ride, but an advanced rider can get alot more out of them.

What are your thoughts?

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
The most common things I hear, and have felt from riding them, is the Pro can side hill better and get on the snow faster than the XM. Easy issues to fix; get rid of the stock skis and get something with shorter tails for sidehilling and more responsive steering in general. Then get rid of the very lazy bottom end stock clutching and this sled will jump onto the snow as fast or faster than the pro. May be a pain to do but not having to deal with fix kits on brand new engines and drive belts grenade every couple hundred miles seems more than worth it. As you can see from my sig, I'm not a fan of Polaris reliability.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Good riders can swing there leg over any mountain sled and shred the snow. All this squawking about which mountain sled gets up on the snow better just goes to show how so many riders lack skill...My XM is like having sex with my wife I bang the sh*t out of my XM with a smile every time I mount her.

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I would say that just about anybody who has a legitimate amount of time on the pro would have a hard time disagreeing that it's the best sled on the snow. The XM can do a few things differently than the other two on a pro. The problem is, the Pro has this motor in the middle of it that sucks balls, and isn't reliable. I've got to be honest if the pro had an ECTEC or Suzuki motor in it the other two companies would be out of business. The pro has a pretty strong front end that takes hits, wipes out arms, and keeps going like it should. Some issues behind the bulkhead, but we've got issues in the front end... so it all washes.

Anyone who can't see the advantages that the Pro has probably hasn't spent much time on them because it's pretty obvious. Having just switched off between a pro and my sled not long ago the pro clearly gets on top of the snow better, quicker, but it stops pulling where my sled keeps going on the hill. Each one has its ups and downs obviously or the other two wouldn't exist.

Last edited:

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Good riders can also notice and can appreciate the difference. Looks like ignorance is bliss for the rest. And leave what you do with your wife off the forums.

Good riders can swing there leg over any mountain sled and shred the snow. All this squawking about which mountain sled gets up on the snow better just goes to show how so many riders lack skill...My XM is like having sex with my wife I bang the sh*t out of my XM with a smile every time I mount her.

Premium Features