• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Big Bore myths DEBUNKED

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Once again, I know. Thanks.

Seems I,m told that the 880 motors im building/running for 7 years now have a skirt problem, Boy thats news to me, You sure would have thought i would have seen/heard that skirt banging around sometime in a 7 year period, or seen the head bolts were stripped out. Hmm I better pay attention. BJ is correct , the only area of concern on a 880 is the O ring, And some of the past failed builders didnt figure that out so they moved on. the 880 is a very strong performer.It also requires the Correct piston and not the pistons that the failed builders were sending out the door, I have a Box full of them, So I totally agree with their comments , The 880 was a failure for them. P.S. I weld the O ring grove shut and re-cut outward using smaller 1.75 O ring, I have .090 meat left between the O ring and bore, Its as thick or thicker than most 860 builds. . Failure rate for skirts and O ring "0" failure rate on older pistons "several". failure rate on newer pistons Ive run over the past 3 years "0"

Last edited:

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
Thanks, that's what I get for coping and pasting from the first part of the measurements. Math was right, I will fix it.

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
Better to ride the horse than be under the saddle....:face-icon-small-hap

It's all i got. For what i need them for they are fine.

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
[QUOTE=BIG JOHN;2843096]hmmm

I would need JVB's name (a pm is OK) to verify story/timeline/problems...I also never said "faulty pistons", yes I have moved from cast/cat factory pistons due to some skirt failures , best yet is over 5000 miles on a 860 kit...the new Hyperdrive piston has had 1 failure in 2 seasons...pretty happy about that...as for having a motor for 3 months? (need cust. name to verifty this and why- I keep detailed notes on all BB motors)...not answering phone? (sorry, that doesnt happen here)...warranty? (I warranty MY work, not the customers or choice of fuels etc.)..its a MOD...no wty is expressed/implied...

In closing...I spend ALOT of time/money making MY customers happy...I offer the best of products/service possible...but the old saying still applies..."you cant please ALL the people ALL of the time"...:face-icon-small-win-BJ

First off it can only be a myth if it is not proven? Am I correct? If we touch the Loch Ness monster even once and could verify it, Is it a myth or a fact?

I would say much of what you are calling a "myth" Bj have been proven issues. What failure rate makes them okay for some people have different standards ?

I have had an 880 and it ran well, I have had a 880 cylinder develop a hairline crack on me too. I know of a couple of other guys with different engine builders that have had a similar issue. Is it wide spread? No, But it has and does happen. We tried a lot of diffrent things with our 880 in the beginning and finding a piston was one of them. Many things were learned after a few sets of pistons. You're welcome what we learned I am sure helped everyone in the 880 world.

I have had a lot of fast sleds that worked very,very well in the mountains here in Colorado. Are my sleds the best for every Tom,Dick and Harry out there? No, but my sleds are ran hard and run well. To put it bluntly I have a put up or shut up attitude when it comes to sleds... and there have been a lot of quiet people around me. At the drag races to the mountains our sleds have performed well. I have successfully ridden in the backcounty sleds that have won Open mod titles in RMSHA, that went on to spending a few years being ridden hard by me in the back county and where did it go to be put out to pasture? Was the sled toast? NO, It went back east where it won Hill drag title after Hill drag title.

All of my nasty, hard running backcountry sleds have had one engine builder.... Dave Trygstad. I learned about Dave in the pages of Snow Week and when sled racing was bigger from drag racing to cross country.
Back before the internet was cool..

You can call me a Trygstad Cheerleader..... You can bet your a$$ I am. He has my full respect.

What it is that I learned to respect about Dave is his commitment to quality, to bringing the best possible product to the table in his eye's. I have never been stranded by a Trygstad engine and I have run 8900 RPM 800's in the backcountry to wicked big bores. It is this commitment that brings me back to his builds time and time again.

My point here is if you are okay with thickness of the walls on your 880's or the how welding on heat treated cylinders affects the temper. Then they have met your testing standards.

That does not mean they have met everybodys standard's! Its why we have Ford and Chevy.

Not everyone would like my personal sleds, but everyone will like Dave's commitment to bringing a quality product to the customer.

If you like BJ's stuff use it he is a good guy and builds good products, but dont call another persons results from their testing "Myths" they may actually be true.[/QUOTE] Agree He stated his findings on HIS web page that WE went to .NOT A OPEN FORUM .O well that's the internet:typing: Pick your builder and enjoy .I'm cant wait for the snow it's going to be awesome winter 872 with new race clutch,Trygstad Ported 800r and my fun sled is getting Trygstad porting too, 08 Reny 146 600 sdi .Cheers

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2009
Camrose, AB
What about piston weight. Is the over bored piston heavier than the stock skidoo piston?

If so then don't you need to balance te crank shaft so it does develope a wobble, or cause a large amount of vibration.

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
BJ you missed the biggest one......

The Performance of a BB is directly related to the size of the Main Jet
Well my drag truck and drag sled ,both needed re jetting (up) after adding more power .The more fuel I add the more power it made .Just saying cheers again Shouldn't be a fight :crazy: So quite trying to be a **** disturber and enjoy your ride.BJ's got his way and it sound like it works and others got there way's that work too let just be thank full that we have these guy's building us great motors . :face-icon-small-coo

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
:peace::beer;

interesting , I have a pretty stock 880 bored cylinder, I say stock because the builder didnt do much if any porting on the intake transfer ports and it requires 540-560 mains @ 1225 egt,s. I also have another heavily ported 880 and she runs 490-500 mains @ 1220 egt,s,, I also have the same findings on the 860,s as well. The heavier cleaner porting has a stronger intake signal pulse and pulls more fuel through the smaller main jet,;;Both motors were using the same head, Just a cylinder change,

Last edited:

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
I don't think guys are buying 872's just because of what Dave has posted on his website. I don't think 860/880 motors are not being bought because of what Dave has on his website. Buyers are smarter than that.They hear about something...they see it in the hill.....they read about....they want it....hopefully they do some research and call some builders and make an educated decision. Its up to the builder to convince new buyers that their product is best.
After all, everybody thinks their stuff is the best....its human nature.

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
interesting , I have a pretty stock 880 bored cylinder, I say stock because the builder didnt do much if any porting on the intake transfer ports and it requires 540-560 mains @ 1225 egt,s. I also have another heavily ported 880 and she runs 490-500 mains @ 1220 egt,s,, I also have the same findings on the 860,s as well. The heavier cleaner porting has a stronger intake signal pulse and pulls more fuel through the smaller main jet,;;Both motors were using the same head, Just a cylinder change,

Good info. So what was the real world difference on the hill? Did one pull any more wieght than the other?

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Good info. So what was the real world difference on the hill? Did one pull any more wieght than the other?

Yes ,just as one would expect with a near stock cylinder vs a heavily ported cylinder.and the heavily ported motor also required dropping a pilot size to 15,s. Even at idle the intake signal is stronger.If your told the intake work doesn't matter then Id run.

Last edited:
T
Nov 27, 2007
Canada
Another builder against the 880 hmmm but people still buy from a guy in his moms garage...

Sitting at 180hp with an 860 is more power than the P-Tek actually. We are not able to do our 880 kit at this time. The inner o-ring groove becomes too thin on the 880 kits to trust. Thats why we have it machined and then put the o-ring groove in our 7075 domes on the p-tek motors. The head for the E-Tec is in the works, but nothing is confirmed yet.

Another hold up on the 880 is fuel. A high altitude race gas setup would probably be fine for an 880, but low alt kits could be an issue. We can only add about 10% before the injectors are maxed out. Only time and testing will tell! For now the 860 is the way to go if you want to unleash some great power on your E-Tec.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Boy... it sure is fun watching Dave's attack bunnies yap non stop... UNREAL how this is so constant, and guys like turbo janie literally post about NOTHING but trying to cut on guys like BJ.

btw, I've never bought anything from BJ, never met him... got no reason to defend him aside from seeing the impressive level of obnoxiousness from Dave's bunnies.

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
I have run SHR BB's for 11 years. 700 (600), 840, (2) 860's, 880 R (P-tek) and now just breaking in the SHR880R ETEC (2013 XM).

THEY ALL PULL LIKE FRIEGHT Trains, and my last 880 p-tek came out on top competing against 11 different PGT800's thru last season, kill list from 2013 includes as follows;

- 2010 XP 800 163 w/AeroCharger Turbo
- 2012 Nytro 163 w/ MCX turbo
- 2009 Dragon 800 155 w/Boondockers turbo
- 2010 Dragon 800 155 w/Boondockers turbo
- 2011 Pro 800 163 w/ Silber turbo (Neck and Neck on this one ;) )
- 2011 Pro 800 155 w/ Silber turbo (This one also)
- 2008 XP 163 Turbo

With the exception of "operator" goofs in tuning or set-up, my SHR bb's have run Flawlessly. My last 880 was tore down each year it was alive (2 seasons) to always check piston and cylinder wear, and while we always replace the pistons and check everything internally ............. We were wasting our time, the internals were always SPOT on and did not need anything. Each years mileage was between 1000 - 2000. ( I rode the 700 bb alot also as it was my "coyote chasin" sled).

You cannot find a better product nor better CUSTOMER service than John at Sled Head Racing. Call him to discuss your end product and the route to take for your application.

Last edited:
Premium Features