• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Big Bore myths DEBUNKED

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
MYTH #1... The 860 (800 cat) piston skirts are too thin...

A) This piston is designed to run at .0045"-.005" clearances...if you install them at .006" or bigger (like most do) they will fail early...SHR sets them at the proper .005"...record SHR860 mileage is OVER 5000 miles on the same pistons. :eek:

MYTH #2... The 880 bore is too big and the cylinder walls are paper thin...

Lets start with a little math...

what is 1 mm in thousandths? .040"

what is half of 1 mm? .020"

what would the cylinder wall need to be bored to change bore diameter .020"? .010"

A) a .010" thinner wall thickness DOES NOT make it ANY less reliable...period.

MYTH #3...you cant weld the aluminum SKI-DOO cylinder due to some coating???

A) this is easy...PROVE IT!! ...while we are at it, I have some SLICK 50 for sale.

This post is for your information...ALOT of DIS information out there...BJ

BTW, SHR can/will/does FIX all brands of BBs out there...just saying.

check out my new website!!

Last edited:

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
Stock bore from Skidoo says it's 82mm. I came up with 81.84 mm measuring quickly.
0428ef17.jpg

Distance between bolt holes and cylinder wall. 7.93mm
0c2c51e5.jpg

Distance from o-ring to cylinder wall. 3.4 mm
598fc8be.jpg

Measured an old Piston off the shelf too from wrist pin to wrist pin. 81.28
8187978c.jpg

Engine displacement equation is

Displacement = (Pi/4)(Bore^2)(Stroke)

800R stoke from Skidoo at 75.7 mm

Pi = 3.1416

(Pi/4) = .7854

(.7854)(82^2 mm)(75.7mm) = 399773.9407 cmm = 399.7739407 cc per stock cylinder just to show it works

Re-writing the displacement equation to find the bore.

Bore = Square Root of ((Displacement)/((.7854)(Stroke)))

Taking the 872

872/2 = 436 cc = 436000 cmm

Bore = Square Root of ((436000)/((.7854)(75.7))) = 85.63471495

Bore of the 872 is 85.6 mm

Taking the 880

880/2 = 440 cc = 440000 cmm

Bore = Square Root of ((440000)/((.7854)(75.7))) = 86.02663789

Bore of the 880 is 86 mm

872R

85.6mm - 82 mm = 3.6 mm

3.6 / 2 = 1.8 mm larger from center of piston all the way around

880R

86mm - 82mm = 4mm

4 / 2 = 2 mm larger from center of piston all the way around

Also have to take into consideration the bolt threads themselves. Not sure the crest to trough on the bolts themselves.[/QUOTE]

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
I have a tonne of respect for BIG JOHN for doing this. I think its awesome that you are willing to stick your neck out and call a spade a spade. I think Dave should come on here and defend the comments that he has on his web page or take them down. Its not "airing dirty laundry".......its getting chit settled.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I have a tonne of respect for BIG JOHN for doing this. I think its awesome that you are willing to stick your neck out and call a spade a spade. I think Dave should come on here and defend the comments that he has on his web page or take them down. Its not "airing dirty laundry".......its getting chit settled.

Well, Dave doesn't do that... he said so himself on here a week or so ago!:face-icon-small-win

Glad to see this, IMO one of the big things I look for in a big bore is a stock piston I can get elsewhere if by some chance the builder is out of business or charging three arms & four legs for them.

Also, the fact that there are HUGE quantities of Suzuki pistons running around makes that kit very appealing to me. I decided to stop buying proprietary pistons a while ago... I like to change pistons often so both are big factors for me.

I know this isn't the case for both kits, but I like having the option to run that piston.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota

Deaner, thank you...and if you knew me...I am being very NICE as in, I am playing nice in the SW sand box...the funny thing is, aww nevermind...the pot plenty stirred...cheers BJ :face-icon-small-coo

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Deaner, thank you...and if you knew me...I am being very NICE as in, I am playing nice in the SW sand box...the funny thing is, aww nevermind...the pot plenty stirred...cheers BJ :face-icon-small-coo
and it is greatly appreciated.

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
Few more quick things.....

The material left between between the stock o-ring groove in the cylinders and the edge of the cylinder wall is

872 cc

3.4 mm - 1.8 mm = 1.6 mm

872 cc = 1.6 mm

880 cc

3.4 mm - 2 mm = 1.4 mm

880 cc = 1.4 mm

The material left between the trough of the head bolts to the edge of the cylinder wall is

872 cc

7.93 mm - 1.8 mm = 6.13 mm

872 cc = 6.13 mm

880 cc

7.93 mm - 2 mm = 5.93 mm

880 cc = 5.93 mm

Questions....

1. Why do you weld the o-ring grooves and mill new ones into the head if the stock ones would fit without any trouble?

2. Are the o-rings you include in your kit thicker than stock?

Here is the measurement for the cylinder skirts.

Cylinder skirt thickness

872 cc

5.2 mm - 1.8 mm = 3.4 mm

872 cc = 3.4 mm

880 cc

5.2 mm - 2 mm = 3.2 mm

880 cc = 3.2 mm

Questions....

1. It looks like the thickness from the skirt gets thicker from the skirt to the top of the cylinder. Have you bored an 800r engine past 880? If so why did you not want to release it? I have seen Snow X has done a few 925's.

Last edited:

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Few more quick things.....

The material left between between the stock o-ring groove in the cylinders and the edge of the cylinder wall is

872 cc

3.4 mm - 1.8 mm = 1.6 mm

872 cc = 1.6 mm

880 cc

3.4 mm - 2 mm = 1.4 mm

880 cc = 1.4 mm

The material left between the trough of the head bolts to the edge of the cylinder wall is

872 cc

7.93 mm - 1.8 mm = 6.13 mm

872 cc = 6.13 mm

880 cc

7.93 mm - 2 mm = 5.93 mm

880 cc = 5.93 mm

Questions....

1. Why do you weld the o-ring grooves and mill new ones into the head if the stock ones would fit without any trouble?

2. Are the o-rings you include in your kit thicker than stock?

Here is the measurement for the cylinder skirts.

Cylinder skirt thickness

872 cc

5.2 mm - 1.8 mm = 3.4 mm

872 cc = 3.4 mm

880 cc

5.2 mm - 2 mm = 3.2 mm

880 cc = 1.4 mm

Questions....

1. It looks like the thickness from the skirt gets thicker from the skirt to the top of the cylinder. Have you bored an 800r engine past 880? If so why did you not want to release it? I have seen Snow X has done a few 925's.

Hey Mike , You ever ride above Shaver Lake area? we should run your sled with my 880 for good fun?

Dbook

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Denver, Colorado
MYTH #1... The 860 (800 cat) piston skirts are too thin...

A) This piston is designed to run at .0045"-.005" clearances...if you install them at .006" or bigger (like most do) they will fail early...SHR sets them at the proper .005"...record SHR860 mileage is OVER 5000 miles on the same pistons. :eek:

[QUOTE=BIG JOHN;2843096]hmmm

I would need JVB's name (a pm is OK) to verify story/timeline/problems...I also never said "faulty pistons", yes I have moved from cast/cat factory pistons due to some skirt failures , best yet is over 5000 miles on a 860 kit...the new Hyperdrive piston has had 1 failure in 2 seasons...pretty happy about that...as for having a motor for 3 months? (need cust. name to verifty this and why- I keep detailed notes on all BB motors)...not answering phone? (sorry, that doesnt happen here)...warranty? (I warranty MY work, not the customers or choice of fuels etc.)..its a MOD...no wty is expressed/implied...

In closing...I spend ALOT of time/money making MY customers happy...I offer the best of products/service possible...but the old saying still applies..."you cant please ALL the people ALL of the time"...:face-icon-small-win-BJ[/QUOTE]

MYTH #2... The 880 bore is too big and the cylinder walls are paper thin...

Lets start with a little math...

what is 1 mm in thousandths? .040"

what is half of 1 mm? .020"

what would the cylinder wall need to be bored to change bore diameter .020"? .010"

A) a .010" thinner wall thickness DOES NOT make it ANY less reliable...period.

I have cracked a cylinder wall on an 880 and I know of a few others that have had similar issues. In structural engineering minute tolerance's are the diffrence between success and utter failure. Some people do not like living on that edge.

MYTH #3...you cant weld the aluminum SKI-DOO cylinder due to some coating???

A) this is easy...PROVE IT!! ...while we are at it, I have some SLICK 50 for sale.

What coating are you referring to? Are you referring to heat treating? Heat treating is a process and not a coating, you build motors you should know this. Do you want it proven that welding a heat treated product weakens it? Is it a concern to you with your cylinders? Maybe not but it is to others.

Remember, what is right for one is not right for all. Not saying one or the other is right way, but different standards is what gives the world variety.

This post is for your information...ALOT of DIS information out there...BJ

Myth Number #4 A Etec cannot be big bored or modified without a stand alone fuel box.

BTW, SHR can/will/does FIX all brands of BBs out there...just saying.

check out my new website!!

First off it can only be a myth if it is not proven? Am I correct? If we touch the Loch Ness monster even once and could verify it, Is it a myth or a fact?

I would say much of what you are calling a "myth" Bj have been proven issues. What failure rate makes them okay for some people have different standards ?

I have had an 880 and it ran well, I have had a 880 cylinder develop a hairline crack on me too. I know of a couple of other guys with different engine builders that have had a similar issue. Is it wide spread? No, But it has and does happen. We tried a lot of diffrent things with our 880 in the beginning and finding a piston was one of them. Many things were learned after a few sets of pistons. You're welcome what we learned I am sure helped everyone in the 880 world.

I have had a lot of fast sleds that worked very,very well in the mountains here in Colorado. Are my sleds the best for every Tom,Dick and Harry out there? No, but my sleds are ran hard and run well. To put it bluntly I have a put up or shut up attitude when it comes to sleds... and there have been a lot of quiet people around me. At the drag races to the mountains our sleds have performed well. I have successfully ridden in the backcounty sleds that have won Open mod titles in RMSHA, that went on to spending a few years being ridden hard by me in the back county and where did it go to be put out to pasture? Was the sled toast? NO, It went back east where it won Hill drag title after Hill drag title.

All of my nasty, hard running backcountry sleds have had one engine builder.... Dave Trygstad. I learned about Dave in the pages of Snow Week and when sled racing was bigger from drag racing to cross country.
Back before the internet was cool..

You can call me a Trygstad Cheerleader..... You can bet your a$$ I am. He has my full respect.

What it is that I learned to respect about Dave is his commitment to quality, to bringing the best possible product to the table in his eye's. I have never been stranded by a Trygstad engine and I have run 8900 RPM 800's in the backcountry to wicked big bores. It is this commitment that brings me back to his builds time and time again.

My point here is if you are okay with thickness of the walls on your 880's or the how welding on heat treated cylinders affects the temper. Then they have met your testing standards.

That does not mean they have met everybodys standard's! Its why we have Ford and Chevy.

Not everyone would like my personal sleds, but everyone will like Dave's commitment to bringing a quality product to the customer.

If you like BJ's stuff use it he is a good guy and builds good products, but dont call another persons results from their testing "Myths" they may actually be true.

Last edited:

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007

I would need JVB's name (a pm is OK) to verify story/timeline/problems...I also never said "faulty pistons", yes I have moved from cast/cat factory pistons due to some skirt failures , best yet is over 5000 miles on a 860 kit...the new Hyperdrive piston has had 1 failure in 2 seasons...pretty happy about that...as for having a motor for 3 months? (need cust. name to verifty this and why- I keep detailed notes on all BB motors)...not answering phone? (sorry, that doesnt happen here)...warranty? (I warranty MY work, not the customers or choice of fuels etc.)..its a MOD...no wty is expressed/implied...

In closing...I spend ALOT of time/money making MY customers happy...I offer the best of products/service possible...but the old saying still applies..."you cant please ALL the people ALL of the time"...:face-icon-small-win-BJ

First off it can only be a myth if it is not proven? Am I correct? If we touch the Loch Ness monster even once and could verify it, Is it a myth or a fact?

I would say much of what you are calling a "myth" Bj have been proven issues. What failure rate makes them okay for some people have different standards ?

I have had an 880 and it ran well, I have had a 880 cylinder develop a hairline crack on me too. I know of a couple of other guys with diffrent engine builders that have had a similar issue. Is it wide spread? No, But it has and does happen. We tried a lot of diffrent things with our 880 in the beginning and finding a piston was one of them. Many things where learned after a few sets of pistons. You're welcome what we learned I am sure helped everyone in the 880 world.

I have had a lot of fast sleds that worked very,very well in the mountains here in Colorado. Are my sleds the best for every Tom,Dick and Harry out there? No, but my sleds are ran hard and run well. To put it bluntly I have a put up or shut up attitude when it comes to sleds... and there have been a lot of quiet people around me. At the drag races to the mountains our sleds have performed well. I have successfully ridden in the backcounty sleds that have won Open mod titles in RMSHA, that went on to spending a few years being ridden hard by me in the back county and where did it go to be put out to pasture? Was the sled toast? NO, It went back east where it won Hill drag title after Hill drag title.

All of my nasty, hard running backcountry sleds have had one engine builder.... Dave Trygstad. I learned about Dave in the pages of Snow Week and when sled racing was bigger from drag racing to cross country.

You can call me a Trygstad Cheerleader..... You can bet your a$$ I am. He has my full respect.

What it is that I learned to respect about Dave is his commitment to quality, to bringing the best possible product to the table in his eye's. I have never been stranded by a Trygstad engine and I have run 8900 RPM 800's in the backcountry to wicked big bores. It is this commitment that brings me back to his builds time and time again.

My point here is if you are okay with thickness of the walls on your 880's or the how welding on heat treated cylinders affects the temper. Then they have met your testing standards.

That does not mean they have met everybodys standard's! Its why we have Ford and Chevy.

Not everyone would like my personal sleds, but everyone will like Dave's commitment to bringing a quality product to the customer.

If you like BJ's stuff use it he is a good guy and builds good products, but dont call another persons results from their testing "Myths" they may actually be true.[/QUOTE]

Your cracked 880 cylinder, who supplied that cylinder to you. Curious?

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
Hey Mike , You ever ride above Shaver Lake area? we should run your sled with my 880 for good fun?

I have not gotten down to Shaver Lake area yet. I do have a trail ported Trygstad engine with a head on it. For a trail sled it runs good. The last picture I posted is a buddies 800r that has been scuffed that he let me have last season when his engine went. Keeping it around for the next build. I would love to run against your 880 and 3" track with my turbo. I am curious about the 3" track too. I'll PM you.

K

KMCP

Nov 1, 2013
CO

Reading these posts have allowed me to form my own assumptions too...My gut says 860/880 sales must be slow.. based on all posts here lately. Facts are..the 872 packages appear to be plentiful and bulletproof, I have yet to hear of a failure or unhappy customer on this site. So let the cards lay...

Instead of wasting time worrying about TMS, SHR better focus on what he's good at,, taking care of his customers..because that 872 pkg is outselling and dominating the market by a wide margin from what I can see.

I'm sure there are plenty of facts and numbers to support my assumptions too. :argue:

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
My response here is in respect to all involved...including myself...

In closing...I spend ALOT of time/money making MY customers happy...I offer the best of products/service possible...but the old saying still applies..."you cant please ALL the people ALL of the time"...:face-icon-small-win-BJ

I switched FROM the factory CAT piston to a BETTER aftermarket CAT piston...since then I have more thumbs then broken skirts...

Myth #2...maybe the crack developed from the POS wiseizco piston that needs .008" clearance so it don't squeeeek?? I run a piston 100 times better than that one and tighter clearances + more strength in the bore......problem solved.

Myth #3...I know full well what "heat treated" means and its BS just like the slick 50...welding an aluminum cylinder has been and always will be safe...yesterday, today and tomorrow...its called a sales pitch

Myth #4...In 2010.5 YES...2011-2014 MXZ YES...only the sleds with the extra exhaust temp probe in the center section of the pipe are safe to run with out a fuel box...BUT even at low elevations the summit needs a little extra fuel to be safe, with my porting....its all about air flow.

The problem I have, is some ones "inherent" problems should NOT be on their web site CLEARLY and PURPOSFULLY to knock every other builder...I have choose NOT to sit quietly and have my product bashed that DOES NOT have these issues...YOU will never see an OPEN post by me knocking the 872, never have, never will...I on the other hand get to play fireman DOO to all the fires started by others that find it OK to openly BASH me...

I have made many upgrades since day one due to my high standards...

I have had an 880 and it ran well, I have had a 880 cylinder develop a hairline crack on me too. I know of a couple of other guys with different engine builders that have had a similar issue. Is it wide spread? No, But it has and does happen. We tried a lot of diffrent things with our 880 in the beginning and finding a piston was one of them. Many things were learned after a few sets of pistons. You're welcome what we learned I am sure helped everyone in the 880 world.

I have had stock 800 cylinders crack...860s crack...the only 880 crack I had was from a poor core...it had a crack inside the sub port when it was a stock 800...(cores are now highly scrutinized before reuse)...add a wiseizco piston and some issues are there before the rope is pulled.

I have always had respect for you and your contribution to SW...and Daves for that matter...why I get attacked??? building MOD motors since 1993 and helping fellow DOO riders since 2001 must NOT be enough??

That's just fine...not trying to change your mind...its just the guys who ARENT need to know a few things...and just because its on Daves website does not make it a fact...

see post above^^

I have bored many a junk cylinder to it water jacket to see how much room there is... there is plenty material to bore an extra .010"...as for heat treated aluminum/nicasilled cylinders and welding and temper??? sorry, that's a sales pitch.

and RAM:face-icon-small-coo

If you like BJ's stuff use it he is a good guy and builds good products, but dont call another persons results from their testing "Myths" they may actually be true.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate everything you said here...My issue is how its said, by whom and to the degree...just because its on his website does NOT make it fact...I can easily show different... just different (ford/chevy/ram)...BJ

Last edited:

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Still questions not answered. Why not make a 888-890 then if you feel it's safe?

Visi...The top oring groove/thickness matters more than skirt thickness for bore sizing...my orings are slightly smaller dia and slightly larger diameter, to keep the same cylinder wall thickness as the 860...as for why not bigger?? its all about the oring, NOT the cylinder wall....as for snox 925? that's not from a stock cylinder...925 cc equals a 88.5 mm piston, 88.6 bore...the oring groove is 88.8...no worky.

BTW- using a digi caliper for your measurements is ok for some things, others not so much, just saying.

KMCP... choosing to NOT sit quietly and get bashed by others is a sign of a strong man and business...as for sales? I have 3 shelves full of BB motor jobs...I'm on here only BECAUSE of the drama created by others...my sales are just fine...TY

snengineer...Thank you and your right...the part I don't understand is why "all of a sudden" I'm getting attacked by 1 group? I miss Tetonice too but this is ridiculous...I think 20 years of building motors for 1000s of happy customers is plenty proof of MY abilities...just saying.

Donny, I just "torqued to yield" a stock head bolt in a fresh 880 cylinder...you know what that means?? besides the welded/untempered cylinder threads are stronger than the bolt??

Cheers...BJ:face-icon-small-coo

Last edited:
Premium Features