• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

4130 Apex-pro by Powerhouse Customs

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
I've been running Apex since 2007, before that RX1, i can't say how many $ i've been putting in to them to substitute heavy, made for tanks parts, sure it made them lighter, but the cost is insane, and it's still have "stupid" steering linkage, old geometry a.s.o.
Yamaha have a clear disadvantage vs AC in one area and it's the chassi, Yamaha chassi is heavy and geometry is wacked.
AC chassi is way more developed (modern) geometry (esp. 2013-2014) and is lighter.

Yamaha's engine is lighter then AC, and in my opinion have much more fun "temperament", and the sound from an 4cyl is much sexier also (my opinion).

So making new chassis for Yamaha engines is a no brainer, i will contact Ron soon for mine.

Making new chassis for AC engines does not give as much "bang for the buck", but no one says it's not a good choice, but for a "new" bussiness as Powerhouse Customs they had to start somewhere, but now it's time to broaden the market and adapt their chassi towards AC engines.

Skickat från min YP-G70 via Tapatalk 2

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Cats 1100 4 stroke motor in a Power house chassis

I hope a few more guys read this thread and are interested in putting their cat 4 stoke motors in this chassis.

I can't help but thnk this would be a good fit for the guys that have the 1100 making good power and aren't happy with the way Cat has this motor mounted in their chassis.

I'm one of these guys and am thinking about going this route.

Hopefully some more guys step up and make this more interesting for Ron!!!

Is Cats 1100 4 stroke lighter than the Yamahas 4 stroke motors?

C

Cpt.Ron

Oct 7, 2008
Revelstoke
www.powerhousecustoms.ca
Sorry

Hi Cpt.Ron, I am looking everywhere to find a 3D model of the yamaha engine (apex if it is possible) but I can't find one anywhere! So I was thinking about you. Do you use a 3D model of this engine to develop your frame, or anything to simulate it in a 3D software?

Thanks a lot and keep going your incedible work on every of these piece of art!

Sorry I do not have or use such modeling software, ..I am pretty much an "old school" kinda fabricator, ..haha. Perhaps I need to step it up with some design software???

Cheers

C

Cpt.Ron

Oct 7, 2008
Revelstoke
www.powerhousecustoms.ca
Cat engine weight??

I hope a few more guys read this thread and are interested in putting their cat 4 stoke motors in this chassis.

I can't help but thnk this would be a good fit for the guys that have the 1100 making good power and aren't happy with the way Cat has this motor mounted in their chassis.

I'm one of these guys and am thinking about going this route.

Hopefully some more guys step up and make this more interesting for Ron!!!

I am uncertain as to the weight of the Cat 1100 engine, I have heard that it is heavier but that is unsubstantiated, ....perhaps someone can let us know??

C

Cpt.Ron

Oct 7, 2008
Revelstoke
www.powerhousecustoms.ca
Gotta love the 4 cylinder Apex engines!

I've been running Apex since 2007, before that RX1, i can't say how many $ i've been putting in to them to substitute heavy, made for tanks parts, sure it made them lighter, but the cost is insane, and it's still have "stupid" steering linkage, old geometry a.s.o.
Yamaha have a clear disadvantage vs AC in one area and it's the chassi, Yamaha chassi is heavy and geometry is wacked.
AC chassi is way more developed (modern) geometry (esp. 2013-2014) and is lighter.

Yamaha's engine is lighter then AC, and in my opinion have much more fun "temperament", and the sound from an 4cyl is much sexier also (my opinion).

So making new chassis for Yamaha engines is a no brainer, i will contact Ron soon for mine.

Making new chassis for AC engines does not give as much "bang for the buck", but no one says it's not a good choice, but for a "new" bussiness as Powerhouse Customs they had to start somewhere, but now it's time to broaden the market and adapt their chassi towards AC engines.

TBird

Gotta love the Yamaha Apex engine, as you stated, the "sexiest" sounding engine on the snow!! However, I have a crazy notion of building a Harley Powered Snow-bike in a Custom Chassis, ..that may sound pretty cool as well!!

Going forward, we look forward to broadening our Chassis options for our Customers specific applications!

Thanks and Cheers!

CR

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Thanks for all the feed back here.

Bendy.
Thanks for asking the question and starting to talk about this.
I've been thinking about this since last spring, wondering if there was anyone else thinking along the same lines as me.
I love the way the EVO tuned super chute turbo 1100 motor works and runs. Just not crazy about the chassis problems.

Wondering how many guys would do this if they knew it was an option?

fgauvin7

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2012
Sorry I do not have or use such modeling software, ..I am pretty much an "old school" kinda fabricator, ..haha. Perhaps I need to step it up with some design software???

Cheers

Thank you anyway, sure those software are incredible tools and they can make you able to push your builds one step higher with analyses of stress point in the frame, center of mass, dimentions, trying new idea, routing every component and precisely determine the shape or mounting location of every parts.

But to be honest with you, it is pretty hard to start on these software when you have never used anything like that before. By the way, everything is possible... It juste take some time.... Best exemple is your builds!

Thanks

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden

As i stated above, an AC1100 engine is a bit heavier vs Yamaha's counterparts.
I don't have individual weight spec in memory but Nytro engine is lighter then Apex with a few pounds and Apex engine is lighter then AC1100, with a few pounds more.
I can look up the meassured weights if needed, believe someone published them last spring when Viper was released also.

Ron, i'm still waiting for the pics, remember? :).

Janne from Sweden.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Engine weights

TBird,
Can you look up those weights?
I'd like to know what they are along with what parts were on the motor when it was weighed???
I assumed (maybe I'm completely off base here not knowing much about Yamaha motors) that the Cat 1100 with a turbo, intercooler, boost tubes and exhaust on it weighed less than a nytro or apex motor with all the same stuff bolted to it weighed?
Motor only weights aren't telling the whole story because next to nobody is going to ride one of these motors in the mountains with out a turbo bolted to them.
I really have no way of knowing so any info here would be helpful!

Hopping for some more good info here.

Thanks.

Last edited:

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
TBird,
Can you look up those weights?
I'd like to know what they are along with what parts were on the motor when it was weighed???
I assumed (maybe I'm completely off base here not knowing much about Yamaha motors) that the Cat 1100 with a turbo, intercooler, boost tubes and exhaust on it weighed less than a nytro or apex motor with all the same stuff bolted to it weighed?
Motor only weights aren't telling the whole story because next to nobody is going to ride one of these motors in the mountains with out a turbo bolted to them.
I really have no way of knowing so any info here would be helpful!

Hopping for some more good info here.

Thanks.

I will search for them.

I'm 99% sure all 3 was weighted engine only, with intake manifold and exhaust manifold removed.

The bottomend/crank on the AC is very heavy compared to the Yamaha's.

I love the haul of a 4cyl, but i know others that love the calmer growl of the 2cyl, would be cool to have options when buying an Powerhouse Customs sled :D

Thanks for the link ICR, i've seen similar threads earlier and many get surprised with the results. :)

Last edited:
P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
If I remember correctly, because I weighed them both, the Apex motor weighs just over 120 lbs with the throttle bodies and the Nytro is 8 lbs less, so about 112 lbs.

Diamond S will know for sure.

Last edited:
P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
Don't quote me on this but I saw somewhere on this forum the Cat is 12 lbs heavier than one of the yammies...I believe the nytro.

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
I heard from a reputable source the cat twin is 28-30 lbs more bare motor to a bare nytro motor. The balance shaft in the cat twin in grossly heavy I heard. 30 lbs is a ton and the nytro motor is a great pkg so why screw with that.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Motor weights

So it sounds like cats 1100 is a pretty heavy motor.

Bare motor with no turbo, IC, header, intake manifold, is about 130 lbs.

With Turbo, manifold, IC, header, is about 155 lbs.

Way heavier than I would have guessed.

It would be nice to know how much a nytro motor with a turbo, header, intercooler and intake manifold weighs?

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
This thread has a powerhouse sled, turbo apex, and 1100T weighed in it. They're not identical tracks and the powerhouse sled was a couple gallons shy of full, but it'll give you an idea on weights.

http://backcountryrebels.com/showthread.php?t=30470&page=9

Icr,
I used your link and read that thread. Lots of good info there.
I didn't see the powerhouse customs sled weight though.
I must have missed it.

Could you please post the weight and some info about the sled?

Thanks

Premium Features