• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocker Pro RMK Turbo Kit

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
Boondocker wants as much testing as possible to make sure the system gets the coldest temps as possible Jarred and Rocky were out on the snow again today. As far as a set in stone date on them I don't think there is one as they will have to be perfect before they get shipped out.

The nice part is you can get the system without the intercooler and swap out for the intercooler for the reduced price.

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
The nice part is you can get the system without the intercooler and swap out for the intercooler for the reduced price.

Ahhhh, thats like taking out a golf cart, and NOT sticking a tee in the governor! LOL. Can't wait to see how this sled performs at high boost. I think its going to be sweet. Guess I'll just have to wait, like everyone else

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
I am curious as to the specifics of the forthcoming "race gas" intercooler upgrade. Since additional injectors are going to be added, are they going to be placed in a replacement throttle body "boot"?, or somewhere else. I like the idea of a billet TB boot, as my BD D7, separated several of the stock rubber boots. Just curious how and where these injectors are going to be added, and if the stock boots are still going to be used.

S

savedbygrace

Mar 21, 2008
Idaho Falls, ID
www.boondockers.com
Pro Turbo Update

Boondocker has been testing with auxiliary injectors for a few weeks now, and decided to include an auxiliary injector in the standard pump gas turbo kit. This enhancement makes the Turbo Pro tune a bit easier, and gives the ability to run higher boost levels. We have done extensive testing to determine the appropriate location for this auxiliary injector, which is placed in the air box. Modifications have been made to the production parts to accommodate the extra injector, clutching is done, the final tune is being perfected today and tomorrow, parts are going into boxes, and the first production kits will ship on Wed. Dec. 8.

If you have any questions please ask.

Thanks,
Junior

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Junior,

It was good to talk with you today. Thank you for taking the time to fill in our readers on the new development and ship dates.

The benefits from the third injector into the airbox will also help greatly in cooling the reeds and charge-air from the evaporative effects of the fuel in the box.

There will be many different approaches to turbos on these sleds I'm glad you are able to take time and keep our readers in the loop with your developments.

The full race kits will be interesting on this chassis as well and I'm glad to see that you are NOT using the customer as a "guinea pig" in the development of the product.

Here is a good YouTube on Boondockers Development of the PRO-RMK TURBO

Last edited:

longgold

Premium Member
Nov 9, 2010
Whistler BC.
"If you have any questions, please ask"

SavedByGrace.

I wont look a gift horse in the mouth I guess...

I do have questions...lots of them, but I will start with the questions I PM'd you a few weeks ago. They are not really open forum questions, more personal choice questions, but here goes;

Hi there,

Look, I'm new to the whole turbo thing, but am 100% doing this. It appears I am going with your unit as it has come highly reccomended.

I am not keen on running Race nor Aviation fuel, as it is damn near impossible to buy where I live (B.C. Canada)...as a result I am looking at a pump gas application (94 Octanne with no Ethanol, Chevron Canada rated).

I ride the Coast Mountain Range, where we have very heavy wet snow conditions primarily, mixed with warm air-temps. Snow accumulation on hoods and vents is unavoidable. I am a tree-rider through and through...so I doubt I will ever want to run high boost, as I dont want spool-up delay nor do I want some high-rpm cluthing that might lead to trenching (please correct me on both isssues if I am off the mark). Long story short, I want bottom end and mid-range all the way through.

I will ventilate the heck out of my 2011 Assault, but my main question is, do I need to (or should I chose to) run the intercooler...regardless of the lower boost range available through pump gas.

My thought is yes, as heat is already an underhood issue stock.

its not a money issue at all, its down to me getting the best out of my set-up.

also, are you familiar with our fuels up here in Canada and is there anything you recommend to run in these set-ups?

Worst case scenario I may be able to buy some 5Gallon Race Gas containers ($75 a pop!) and mix...but I am not overly keen...I am more of a "plug and play" kinda guy, and tracking down alusive fuel types seems unrealistic for me.

My dearler here is relatively new to the whole turbo thing too...you guys need to get here to B.C and educate us all...its crazy...there are plently of riders here that have expendable income.

My dealer is very good, and would move product if someone spent a little time out here getting them working in our conditions.

Last edited:
Go with the big boost.

Longold..... If you are serious about the turbo, you need to contact me. I was on fence last year. Tried it. Couldnt B without it. I know a sled builder in Kelowna who will build that thing turn key. He has worked with the Boondocker setups since they started. Has built tons of turbos, and knows what he is doing. He built mine and gave me a money back gaurantee. Ya right... You will not get this thing away from me. And it was turn key. A few minor adjustments on the EBC cause mine was his first, but that was about it.

The only problems I am having are holding onto it!

He will be starting to build in the next few weeks as the kits are shipped, so get in line, but I assure you will not regret the drive to Kelowna once or twice!

Now.... You plan on spending X number of dollars on a turbo kit, and want to cut corners on fuel?? Go with the intercoolder, fuel, and boost. 8 lbs is ok, but u get over 11 lbs and that is when things really turn on. I can get you connected with barrels of race fuel if you cant find it. C 12. C 16. Whatever you want.

Mckinney

S

savedbygrace

Mar 21, 2008
Idaho Falls, ID
www.boondockers.com
SavedByGrace.

I wont look a gift horse in the mouth I guess...

I do have questions...lots of them, but I will start with the questions I PM'd you a few weeks ago. They are not really open forum questions, more personal choice questions, but here goes;

Hi there,

Look, I'm new to the whole turbo thing, but am 100% doing this. It appears I am going with your unit as it has come highly reccomended.

I am not keen on running Race nor Aviation fuel, as it is damn near impossible to buy where I live (B.C. Canada)...as a result I am looking at a pump gas application (94 Octanne with no Ethanol, Chevron Canada rated).

I ride the Coast Mountain Range, where we have very heavy wet snow conditions primarily, mixed with warm air-temps. Snow accumulation on hoods and vents is unavoidable. I am a tree-rider through and through...so I doubt I will ever want to run high boost, as I dont want spool-up delay nor do I want some high-rpm cluthing that might lead to trenching (please correct me on both isssues if I am off the mark). Long story short, I want bottom end and mid-range all the way through.

I will ventilate the heck out of my 2011 Assault, but my main question is, do I need to (or should I chose to) run the intercooler...regardless of the lower boost range available through pump gas.

My thought is yes, as heat is already an underhood issue stock.

its not a money issue at all, its down to me getting the best out of my set-up.

also, are you familiar with our fuels up here in Canada and is there anything you recommend to run in these set-ups?

Worst case scenario I may be able to buy some 5Gallon Race Gas containers ($75 a pop!) and mix...but I am not overly keen...I am more of a "plug and play" kinda guy, and tracking down alusive fuel types seems unrealistic for me.

My dearler here is relatively new to the whole turbo thing too...you guys need to get here to B.C and educate us all...its crazy...there are plently of riders here that have expendable income.

My dealer is very good, and would move product if someone spent a little time out here getting them working in our conditions.

Longgold, Thanks for posting your question publicly, there is a lot of people with the same questions and concerns. Getting these questions out in the open is great help.

A lot of guys are running race gas or at least some kind of race gas mix, but the majority of riders want the convenience of pump gas. All of the testing going on with the Boondocker Pro Turbo to date is on 91 octane without ethanol. Right now we are tuning at about 5500 ft and up, these sleds are running around 8 psi on pump gas. Obviously when you ride lower elevations than this you will have to run a little less boost. For someone riding the coastal mountain ranges, I would recommend a low boost or adjustable boost actuator, and an Electronic Boost Controller. This way you can set you minimum boost low at your low elevation riding area, and the EBC will auto altitude compensate as you ride from there.

Bring on the deep snow, that is what these kits are designed to run in. With our deep snow exhaust and under hood intake, Boondocker Turbo Sleds run in even the deepest conditions.

Intercoolers are a great subject. Anytime you can lower charge air temperatures, you will increase performance and reduce detonation. When you reach boost levels above 8 psi, charge air temps really start to rise fast, that is why we always recommend the use of an intercooler at these higher boost ranges. That being said, intercoolers are also very effective at lower boost levels. The use of a properly designed intercooler system will always enhance performance and should never hinder. Boondocker is testing intercoolers for the Pro now, and will likely have an intercooler upgrade available mid January.

Again thanks for the questions,
Junior

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I ran int Jared and rocky in alpine on Saturday and their pro turbos ripped. They have them dialed in and you can tell they have spent a lot of time making sure they are perfect before they ship.

Now what's going to happen when there is ethanol at every station? Run a mix with some race fuel?

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
I have been talking with Jared in the AM when I can every day they have been taking these sleds through there paces and the kit is SOLID.

On the Ethanol he said at 10% they had to lower the boost a touch in order for it to keep the DET away so I would recomend a touch more octane Torco mix anything to raise it up a touch.

A

Arcteryx

Apr 14, 2008
North Ogden, Utah
3rd injector

Thanks for keeping us updated Savedbygrace!

I was a little surprised to hear that the kits are coming with a 3rd injector. You said this makes it able to run higher boost.
Any idea what boost ranges it will run with and intercooler and the additional injector?? My target boost is 12-14. Just wondering if the intercooler in January is really the only additional part I will need to hit that range??

Thanks.

Premium Features