• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sway Bar Removal on 900 RMK

R
Mar 24, 2008
Tri Cities
Has anyone removed the sway bars from an 06 900 RMK. I would like to. It has made a big difference on my other machines in the past. Just curious. It looks like the only way to get them off is to cut them. Then there is no going back.

markoo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Southern Alberta
I was told you could take them out without cutting them but you have to remove the spindle on one side. I just cut mine with a grinder and threw it away. I like it alot better without.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
That was one of my first projects this summer.

Jack the sled up a bit to get the front end off the ground and weight off the skis. Take off the sway bar brackets on the bulkhead right under the A-arms. Take off the plastic parts in the A-arm at the ends of the sway bar. The plastic bearing on either side is a b*tch to get off, bent those all to hell. From there, you can tweak it and pop one side out of the holder, but I did have to yank off a spindle to get the sway bar out. Didn't have to cut it, didn't want to cut it (just had dremel and hacksaw to choose from...), but I did wrangle it out of there in about 3 hours start to finish.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I had a dealer do the carls swaybar for me last year, I've been trying to figure out how to get the damned thing out of there again easily for awhile now.

I know somone said in another thread that he had to take one of the lower a-arms off in order to get it out of there.

How you go about getting it back in, I have no idea.

I wanna put my stock swaybar back in, the carl's one makes the sled entirley too hard to pull up on one side.

I might just cut the thing out of there entirley this year and say f*ck it ...

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Curious as to who has already done this and how they liked it. I've done it in the past on doo's and really liked it but only after installing heavier front shock springs. My last sled required about a 40lb heavier spring as turning up the tension to the max isn't the way to go. I know Carls is a big fan of the swaybar, is there anyone who isn't?

My buddies who have the 9's cut them off when they were brand new so we don't know how they perform with them on. I have to replace a-arms this weekend so I guess finding out who liked not having the swaybar would interest me as this would be the time to make the call.

crix

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
SaVaGe, MiNnEsOtA
I did it on my 05 and I didn't like how bad it nose dived. It didnt seem to like to side hill as good either it would bounce really bad. After adjusting my floats over and over again with no luck.

I decided to try the opposite and get the carls set up thicker sway bar with the heavy duty front track spring. I liked how it rode alot better with the thick sway bar. I never felt like it was hard to get my 900 to roll on its side with the carls set up. I had my floats at ~70 psi but I also had a 4" riser so I had good leverage too Im sure that makes a difference.

As far as getting it in and out I had the a arms off both times I removed the sway bar. I don't remember it being that bad though its easy enough to take the a arms off anyway. keep the stock in tact incase you decide you hate it like i did then the worst thing is putting it back in in your trailer or wait untill you get home

H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA
Curious as to who has already done this and how they liked it. I've done it in the past on doo's and really liked it but only after installing heavier front shock springs. My last sled required about a 40lb heavier spring as turning up the tension to the max isn't the way to go. I know Carls is a big fan of the swaybar, is there anyone who isn't?

My buddies who have the 9's cut them off when they were brand new so we don't know how they perform with them on. I have to replace a-arms this weekend so I guess finding out who liked not having the swaybar would interest me as this would be the time to make the call.

Been told that Carls makes a triple rate spring that works really well when you remove the sway bar completely. Mine was gone when I got it and the only complaint I have is that the sled rolls really bad in corners on hard pack...Of course until now, I've had the non adjustable factory crap shocks so there was nothing I could do about it. I'm going to call Carls on Monday about the triple rate springs and will post what I learn...if anything;)

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
IF anyone removes their 05-06 sway bar and has it in GOOD SHAPE with ALL HARDWARE..i am interested in buying it..dont have the cash to buy the Carls big bar anytime soon with xmas and all..

SAME goes for any of the Carls/polaris 225lbs springs..need these as well

let me know, i need these for my wifes 06 700..

thank you.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
IF anyone removes their 05-06 sway bar and has it in GOOD SHAPE with ALL HARDWARE..i am interested in buying it..dont have the cash to buy the Carls big bar anytime soon with xmas and all..

thank you.

The 225 pound spring should cost $30.

I think the heavy duty sway bay is the sway bar from a FUSION.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
The 225 pound spring should cost $30.

I think the heavy duty sway bay is the sway bar from a FUSION.

yeh $30 isnt bad, but i need 2..so thats $60, and the big sway bar is $68..plus shipping..

not real pricey no..but with xmas and a road trip up soon..bad combo, lol..

sometimes people just want to trash their stock stuff and these are the parts to snatch up, haha..

PM if anyone has either and not looking to make money, just to help someone out!!!

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
yeh $30 isnt bad, but i need 2..so thats $60, and the big sway bar is $68..plus shipping..

not real pricey no..but with xmas and a road trip up soon..bad combo, lol..

sometimes people just want to trash their stock stuff and these are the parts to snatch up, haha..

PM if anyone has either and not looking to make money, just to help someone out!!!

I don't think you will find a deal on the spring ... not something to buy used BUT you can go to a EAST COAST website and get a sway bar cheap.

Lot of Fusions back east like on HCS website. Maine NH and Michigan have lots of fusions.

C
Nov 30, 2007
Grand Junction, CO
If you ride mostly pow, take it out. You will need to preload the springs on the shocks more though. On my new sled, installed Float 2's, and removed swaybar. Big weight savings, more adjustability, and better sidehilling/pow riding. If you ride on the trail a lot, I'd probably leave it in unless you plan on getting the Floats.

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
Just take the black covers off on each side and remove it. No need to cut it there is room to get it out. You will feel like it is impossible to get that bend to come though the bulk head but just give it a pull at that point and it will come through.

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska

thank you.

PM'd yah

C

Champ

Jan 15, 2008
Sway Bar

I fumbled around with the sway bar on my 06 600 Smackback after running over a rock in Cooke two seasons ago. I changed the whole front end to the RMK A-arms so I would never run into the problem of finding IQ wide A-arms out west when I need them.

I believe Carl's sway bar is just the IQ wide IFS version...if not, this post is all for nothing. If so, then this applies.

I ran the original -thicker diameter sway bar with the RMK a-arms. You have to install the IQ wide sway bar bushing blocks in the RMK a-arms or auger-out the RMK blocks are they are not wide, not deep enough to accomodate the larger diameter sway bar. I chose to just install the IQ wide blocks, but they sit deeper in the mounts. (The sway bars are the same length, but the a-arm bushing block holders on the a-arms are configured differently between the two setups.)

Since they sit deeper into the mounts, the sway bar ends beat the crap out of the bushings and I believe even jammed from time to time.

My opinion would be to auger out the RMK blocks to make the larger diameter sway bar fit.

At the end of last year I removed the sway bar alltogether becuase it does make it silly when trying to roll side to side...

This year, I just installed the RMK sway bar into the sled and removed the heavy duty front track spring. Reason why is my sled is run primarily here in MN and no sway bar here, coupled with the heavy duty FTS makes for one hell of ride down a groomed trail.

My total opinion is that no sway bar requires a shock upgrade for sure. As for the heavy duty FTS, only install if you want the center of the sled to be the absolute tipping point for the balance of the sled. Again, probably great for 100% MNT riding, so-so for the trails...Even out west, I'd rather have the rail tips compress more upwards when encountering powder than not moving at all with that big spring...

As for removal, remove one lower a-arm, have buddy hold up the upper a-arm and spindle, remove the two clamp/bushing plates from the bulkead, and pull the bar through or slide it back through...it's a no go with those clamp plates still rivited in...It looks like the bar won't clear through, but it does....

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
I need the sway bar and hardware for the 05-06 rmk 700/900 for my wifes sled..

i was gonna buy one from a guy on here but he misplaced it..

i was looking to spend $45 shipped to montana 59405

needs to be in perfect condition..

need it before 18 dec when we leave the state for xmas and the first ride..

thank you

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
guido,
I notice in one of your posts above you noted that you needed two springs? I think you are looking at the front shock springs but in fact what everyone is referring to is the single spring at the front of the rear suspension. That's the one you need to upgrade to the 225lb. It gives you more lift on the front end of the sled. I have done it and it is a good improvement. I also went with the heavier sway bar and got the stocker out and the bigger one in without much trouble. If I remember right I only had to remove one of the inner lower control arm mounting bolts to clear. It was a bit of a wiggle to find the sweet spot but it came right out. This combo of spring and heavier bar really improved the diving issue and side hilling is still very easy on the 900.
Next step for me is a set of 07 spindles and gripper skis which are going on now.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
GKR,
you are correct..i didnt think the 225lb spring was for the front..i just figured this out..HA..so need only 1 now..

for the time being, i found a stock bar to puit in..better then nothing..going on the wifes sled that doesnt have one at all..and the shocks will need some major work if i let her go w/o it..

good to hear your input..i will be investing in the spring for sure..after xmas..

do you hav ethe 05 spindles..??..the 07 were the same as the 06 i think..the 08-09 is where its at..but if you need the 07..there was a set on ebay for $55ea..

goo dluck buddy.
thanks again for the help.

Premium Features